Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • £300 for Carbon 456 – is that a bargain?
  • IHN
    IHN

I suppose I should add that I currently have a steel 456, and I’m tempted by the weight saving

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’d get a Cotic Bfe, coz the look nicer.

honourablegeorge

18 Bikes have a Genesis Latitude for the same money.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think the correct answer is… yes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine was a bargain at400

shedfull
    Free Member

Yes – that’s a lot of frame for your money and will be immense fun. I loved mine until it got half-inched. I was going to replace it with another but bought the Ti one because it came up on offer. Otherwise I would’ve bought the same again. I was going to buy a matt black one and cut On-One decals from mirrored adhesive vinyl. I thought that would look pretty cool.

avdave2

I was going to buy a matt black one and cut On-One decals from mirrored adhesive vinyl. I thought that would look pretty cool

A friend once had a matt black beetle with mirrored windows. We thought that was pretty cool but we were young then. I hope you have the same excuse. 🙂

Very tempted with one myself at the moment, If we weren’t spending all our money on building work I think It would be a certainty.

richc
    Free Member

That looks like a pretty serious drop off.

Northwind

TBH I’d consider it good value at £500 still. I paid £400 for mine with a headset and a pair of stupid On One bars that they obviously couldn’t sell, and that was a bargain… You get a lot of bike for the money.

argoose
    Free Member

I brought one couple of weeks ago absolutely love it.
    Buy..Buy..Buy! 😀

timc
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

18 Bikes have a Genesis Latitude for the same money.

what size?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I loved mine until it got half-inched.

Please tell me you didn’t use the crappy lock attached to the seatpost in the pic?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I paid £400 for mine with a headset and a pair of stupid On One bars that they obviously couldn’t sell

I rang up and bartered the bars for a seat post…. 😀

They’ve been around the £300 mark for the frame alone for a year now (My bars and headset were worth £80-ish, so I paid £320) They ain’t gonna get any cheaper than that.
    Standard transfers are GOPPING so I had some made up. Gunmetal grey with a silver outline, based on the original On One font.

IMG_2392 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, I would have loved a BeFe but I was put off them and onto the 456 by two things, in this order:

1) The price
    2) The weight

It really is that simple.

Without too much effort (Still got a Deore chain set, cheap bars, OEM saddle, biggish tyres etc) it comes in at under 26lb, 25.5lb with summer tyres on (that’s real weights off a set of scales and including pedals, not guesstimations, BTW) There’s some typical On One “features” that can annoy, but if it got nicked, I’d probably buy another, yes.

Happy bunny 🙂

tony24
    Free Member

Yes they are brilliant !

P20

I paid that awhile back. I upgraded from the steel 456. The same fun handling, but much, much better ride and a fair bit lighter.

forge197
    Free Member

I’ve pre-ordered one as it seems good value and fancy a project. It will be bright red 🙂

Brake-neck
    Free Member

But it, I had one and bloody loved it, only the lure of clown wheels made me sell it and I still miss it. Like others are saying £300-£500 its still an awesome frame.

forge197
    Free Member

Good feedback looking forward to it arriving wonder if it will come before Xmas?

brant
    Free Member

SLACKSET makes it more fun.

shedfull
    Free Member

Please tell me you didn’t use the crappy lock attached to the seatpost in the pic?!

No, but I might as well have:

More pics

vondally
    Free Member

peter p what usual on one features that annoy?

Like short hedtube?

hora
    Free Member

300??? I’d love one at that price but I’m broke this month 🙁

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve bought one, bought the last 16″ raw last week, only to be told it didn’t exist. So, having to wait it out till new stock on the 20th. 😐 very disappointed I was. New stock on 20th probably means delivered to me in Jan, I expect?
    Love my Summer Season, but for me it’s the weight thing (with roughly the same geometry). Selling my SS frame to part fund will make it £200 approx.

DT78
    Free Member

Anyone had one of these and also owned / ridden a mmmbop? How do they compare?

hora
    Free Member

DT78 ask brant he’s on this thread. He’ll probably reply 456 as its name isn’t a silly US boys band.

forge197
    Free Member

SLACKSET will have to be a future upgrade this project has a tight budget!!

Northwind

DT78 – Member

Anyone had one of these and also owned / ridden a mmmbop? How do they compare?

I got mine to replace my Mmmbop, which I’d gone right off… With the works components headset in the geometry is fairly similiar, 456 feels longer and doesn’t climb as well though. (I’m not sure how much longer, if at all, it actually is- but it feels it)

The big difference is in the rear end… The Mmmbop’s stupidly stiff rear just ruined it for me in the end, I got totally fed up of the way it bounced off every rock- bad for control, bad for traction. The C456 has a much softer rear end- it’s still nicely direct for pedalling etc, certainly not a noodle but on the same trails, with the same tyres, it’s constantly far more consistent and in control as the rear can track over and round obstacles that the Mmmbop just bounced off.

In an ideal world I’d have had a Ragley Ti but this was 1/3d as much and comes very close.

DT78
    Free Member

Hhmmm thanks Northwind, mmmbop is stiff – I don’t find it too much of an issue on my local short woodsy blasts. Love the way it rides, just tempted to try something new.

cruzer
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – are you still selling you SS? if so i could be interested 😀

On-topic – fantastic deal. go buy 8)

Paceman
    Free Member

Yep… that’s a bagain.

td66
    Free Member

Is there an adaptor so you can use a normal 1 1/8 headset?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

peter p what usual on one features that annoy?

1) Head tube is too short for certain Rock Shox tapered forks, and the headset grounds out on the top of the taper
    IMO, 2 reasons for this:
    a) There’s no standard spec for the length of the taper
    b) On One’s obsession with short head tubes finally shoots them (Well, me…) in the foot
    If you look in the pic I have a +3mm crown race on the fork which O-O made for me, which fixed the problem, but it’s a work-round, not a proper fix. They did send me an external top race for the headset which would do the same thing, but it’s MASSIVE and I’m not sure about the fit of the top plate it came with, so I’ve never tried it, TBH

2) Odd cable routing. For some reason there’s 2 sets of rear brake hose clips, one on the seat stay and another on the chain stay. Not a problem really, but it’s unnecessary and a bit ugly
    The front cable/hose clips are poorly positioned, and too far back. I’ve had to zip-tie the rear brake hose and rear shifter cables together onto one clip to stop flappage.
    Again, no biggie, it’s just a sign of the lack of testing/thought that’s gone into them.

But to be fair most On Ones have some odd design feature, and I’ll put up with it for the price 🙂

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

For some reason there’s 2 sets of rear brake hose clips, one on the seat stay and another on the chain stay.

One for each of the brake caliper positions. It does make sense, but it’s still fugly. My Oro just barely fits inside the frame after a bit of lathework so I can see the need.

IHN

One for each of the brake caliper positions.

There’s only one caliper mount position on PP’s photo, are there different dropouts with different caliper positions?

And, on a related note, do BB7s work/fit when the calipers between the stays as per PP’s photo?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ohh, I would have loved a BeFe but I was put off them and onto the 456 by two things, in this order:

1) The price
    2) The weight

Well, the weight may be more, but the price sure aint:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe

And you have the added bonus of a bike that doesn’t look like the T1000 after Arnie has shot him.

brant
    Free Member

are there different dropouts with different caliper positions?

yes

IHN

Cheers Brant.

And the BB7 question anyone?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘£300 for Carbon 456 – is that a bargain?’ is closed to new replies.