Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 2am Party Pooper.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Last night our neighbours had a party, it was really working up a racket at 2am. Everyone in the locality had their windows open as it was pretty muggy here in crappy Crawley, with the heat and the rain. So you can imagine the bass, treble and chatter were a bit intrusive. I knocked at 12:30 and asked if they wouldn’t mind continuing indoors or elsewhere, was rebuffed rudley, even after pointing out how there were lots of kids, it was close and everyones windows were open and it was a bit unreasonable. I retired knowing earplugs and NC headphones would do it for me as long my family could sleep I didn’t really give a damn.
    I know that three of the neighbours tried later on, kids crying and whatnot.
    Anyway at 2am I walked around the house,checked the kids and wife were still asleep, they were, and popped my earplugs back in as one fell out and that’s why I woke up.
    I was absently looking out the back window over to the party hoping they would shut up soon for the sake of the other neighbours, most of whose little ones were still awake. I spied my one neighbour, who happens to have twins, in his back garden fiddling with some kit. He is a sound engineer of some type.
    I tried yelling to him (garden next door) but he could not hear me such was the noise. So after a little whatsapp convo he revealed that he has set up a couple of zoom mikes just inside his back fence at about 10 ft high, pointing into their garden, where the racket was emanating from. He was running the feed from the mics through a mixer which added some delay or echo or both, I didn’t quite understand the tech side of it. Layered over this was a recording of the now very awake twins.
    Once he set this off the sound was quite weird, I had to go down to my back fence just to hear it properly, the noise was being reflected back, all echoey and a bit delayed such that it was hard to make out what the original sound was. The sounds of the kids crying was just an annoying background thing.
    5 mins, music goes off, still chatter but all messed up, 10 mins, everyone went home. 5 mins later I heard an audible cheer from another house.
    3rd neighbour bought the soundman a bottle of whisky this morning. 😆

frankconway

Like!

nowthen
    Free Member

Engineered solution, nice.

sweepy
    Free Member

Depends on context for me. I reckon you can do pretty much what you like occasionally, If it was constant parties then fair do’s but if it was a one off then you’re a bunch of miseries.

frankconway

@sweepy; with prior discussion and agreement about noise levels, end time etc – possibly, yes.

Otherwise, absollutely not; ‘nuisance’ is council responsibility but they are always ‘too busy’ so…..to the door, bray on it hard with hammer, axe, king dick etc and make it/them visible.
    Please turn noise down as I don’t wish to take further action but……

5plusn8
    Free Member

Was a once a year thing, normally goes on until dawn. Chalk me up as a miserable. Whilst I could sleep through it and my kids seemed unaffected, I really felt for the younger families. Your fun ought not to be at the expense of others.
    Sound engineer told me if plan A didn’t work and it had gone on until dawn he was going to start playing loud music at them at 8am. Try sleeping it off then. I asked him to implement at midnight next time as reckon anything after that is criminal.
    He reckons they don’t know that he did anything, as all they got was their own sound delayed back to them and a baby crying. Lots of MDMA, Pot, mushies etc went round, judging by the conversations I could hear anyway, so perhaps they were too [high, and don’t be rude – Mod] to know.
    He had been planning this for a year since the last one..

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Thats pretty funny, though I reckon a party I’ve a year isn’t unreasonable.

When the mrs stayed in London her room was above a flat full of coked-up knobs who had parties pretty much every night till all hours. Horrendous. A permanently wired in solution like the above would have been useful, though they’d probably not have noticed.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Awesome way of dealing with an all too common problem.

An occasional party is a fine thing but the availability of loud amplification means that some people think they have the right to put on concert volume evenings in residential areas with zero soundproofing.

shifter
    Free Member

I think we’ve had this conversation here before and typically, there’s two camps. I’m in the camp that says party all you like, as long as I can’t hear it. Noisy bastards should be shot, quietly.

piemonster

I’ve found the solution to move to an area populated by old people, worked a treat!

Dont really gave a problem with the odd house party, unless it’s keeping me awake then the **** roasters can **** off.

Other than that I’m quite reasonable.

piemonster

Oh, and a great solution in the OP.

A problem shared and all that!

ferrals
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be about the thunder, lightening and torrential rain last night – was ridiculous, can’t remember seeing anything like it in this country. Felt like being in the tropics

StirlingCrispin

Like!

My previous house – the semi-detached neighbours got in the habit of playing loud music at 2am.

My solution – Meatloaf’s Bat out of Hell at full volume at 6am while I went out for a paper.

They never did it again 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Interesting solution.

Did they give any prior warning i.e. A few weeks to allow you to have a weekend away etc?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve found the solution to move to an area populated by old people, worked a treat!

You’ve never lived next to a deaf old person have you!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Sounds like phase shifts to get a comb filter/flanger effect when mixed with the original sound/signal.

Good effort that man. An arms race winner by the sounds of it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Another way of looking at it was that the party was due to end around the time anyway.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If a party occurred but it’s sound was cancelled out due to 180 degree phase inversion did it actually happen?

km79
    Free Member

I’ve lived above one, never again!

piemonster

Nah, we just make sure the type of neighbours we move next to are also the type whose kids would ship them straight into a home the second they looked like being remotely bothersome.

survivor

Is Howard from the mighty boosh your neighbour?
    [video]https://youtu.be/S1q-LVH_0vI[/video]

nbt

5plusn8
    Free Member

This has developed. Noisy neighbour (NN) discovered Sound Engineer(SE) carried out some tricks, but still does not know what. SE recorded video from 2 angles of noisy neighbour on SE doorstep threatening him with violence over the matter.

I have seen video. The most striking thing is the SE is quite a large chap and NN is not. Very odd behaviour. The 2nd striking thing is that the threats are pretty viscous at first and then gradually peter out into “I am very unhappy about this”.
    Although SE is quiet and seemingly peaceable, he also seems utterly unafraid of anything. I think NN came round with the intent to threaten violence but gradually moves off that plan as SE looms over him.

Drac

scaredypants

the threats are pretty viscous at first and then gradually peter out into “I am very unhappy about this”

He probably realised he might find himself in custardy if he carried on with the threats

Drac

He probably realised he might find himself in custardy if he carried on with the threats

At least he still gets his pudding.

scaredypants

treacle pudding ?

5plusn8
    Free Member

drac if this is boring you, there is always the option to not look at the thread?

Drac

The only to find out was to read it.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is why I’m never moving out of the city lol.

One party a year, on a Saturday night (Bank holiday as well so kind of a double Saturday) nope, not a problem…

dufusdip
    Free Member

Odd response from a mod. Didn’t think it merited defcon 1 sarcasm

CountZero

the threats are pretty viscous at first and then gradually peter out into “I am very unhappy about this”

On a very sticky footing…

pretty much what you like occasionally, If it was constant parties then fair do’s but if it was a one off then you’re a bunch of miseries.

Post up your address, or a nearby postcode, so we can organise a rave, only once or twice a year, maybe for about 24 hours, how does that suit?

Cougar

The most striking thing is the SE is quite a large chap and NN is not.

When it comes to violence you can’t always judge people by their size.

The 2nd striking thing is that the threats are pretty viscous at first

He was thick and sticky?

Cougar

Curse you, CZ. (-:

Odd response from a mod user who unrelatedly also happens to be a Moderator. Didn’t think it merited defcon 1 sarcasm

FTFY.

Anyway, this is the Chat Forum. Everything merits sarcasm.

pondo

Oh no it doesn’t! 🙂

(Hang on, I was thinking of pantomime)

5plusn8
    Free Member

Cougar – indeed I don’t think SE is a violent chap in anyway, and perhaps NN given his penchant for annoying people might be used to a bit of violence. This is all assumption however, as I don’t know either of them that well. I just found it all entertaining.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, definitely.

Cougar

Yeah right.

zokes
    Free Member

Well OP, if it’s any consolation I found the thread interesting, despite the trolling from those who should know better.

For those in the know, what would the actual effect have been? I’m thinking either a horrendous noise, or near silence on a similar principle to noise-cancelling headphones, but I can’t wrap my head around which.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Great stuff from SE, hope he told them it could happen next time as well.
    For me I’d do what ^ up there did & stick some Meatloaf on & go out for a while.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘2am Party Pooper.’ is closed to new replies.