Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 29er single speed gearing??
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

what would be a good place to start, having not really ridden a single speed, would you go something like 32 – 18, I’ve been looking at the On One inbred with the carbon fork complete bike, or is there a better option building from scratch budget would be around £900. Thanks 🙂

ski
    Free Member

I started with, 32:20 on my inbred 29er, depends on the hills near you I guess & how quick you like to spin?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

2nd hand you could build a singular swift, or a few other nice options, but new the inbred is a good option

32-18 is a very good benchmark to start with

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Where do you ride and how far do you ride?

I do most of my riding in the Yorkshire Dales and ride 32:20 but I like 4-6 hour rides, for the Kielder 100 I’m going 32:21 and spinning like crazy.

If you live somewhere less hilly 32:18 is probably a good starting point; don’t listen to all the macho 32:18 is all you need nonsense, find a gear that you enjoy riding and go to the MTBR endurance singlespeed forums for some good info.

robkhoo
    Free Member

32:19 (just to be different) in South Wales with lots of hills. With some fitness and the right technique you will be surprised at how much stuff you can climb on a 29er SS.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I live in N.Wales mainly hills and more hills, like to ride trail centers and all the natural trails I can find, I will still have my full sus if i need it, I really like riding hard tails but do suffer with my back , I was hoping a steel 29er would be a bit smoother, carbon seat post will be fitted and saddle with ti rails, and I thought some Ardents 2.4’s running tubeless. I generally ride between 20-40Km depends on free time, they usually take 1 1/2 to 3 1/3 hours some fairly long climbs .

ski
    Free Member

What HT are you used to riding Jeffus?

The 29er inbred does feel smoother over my 26′ inbred, (29er running on-one carbon & the 26′ using Pace 31’s) but wheather its any less harsh on my back is hard to say tbh.

robkhoo
    Free Member

I’ve got a dodgy back and I ride a stiff-as alu framed rigid ss. I find my back hurts a hell of a lot less when I’m ss-ing though compared to my other xc bikes, which are a 100mm full sus and an 853 hardtail. I put this down to the fact that you change position on a singlespeed a lot more, and spend more time standing up. Funnily enough my whingy knee seems to prefer it as well…

Stoner
    Free Member

326:20 here in malvern. Generally climbing/descending about 1200ft in a 10 mile loop. Combinatino of flat (or false flat) roads and some spikey climbs.

Building a 29er SS monstercross tomorrow with the same ratio.

edit doh

Jeffus
    Free Member

ski, I’ve tried quite a few but my most favourite was the P7 loved that bike sold it when I lost my job a couple of years back,
    I’ve had Ragley mmBop, Santacruz Chameleon, Yeti Arc, Azonic ds1 , DMR trail star, 24seven AM, Orange p7 was the best, picked it every time over my full sus.

cheers_drive

I started with 32:20 but when to 32:18 which doesn’t affect climbing much but makes the flat sections much better. The trails here are quite flat though (but I have to get up a 1:15 on the way to them

pedalhead
    Free Member

32:19 gets me up just about anything in the Chilterns, though a bit too spinny on the lovely flowy singletrack up there so I’m going to 34:19 soon.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Started with a 32:18 but now gone to 32:16 and can get up pretty much anything on Mendip

miketually
    Free Member

32:18 on a 29er is about the same s 32:16 on a 26er.

I did Kielder 100 on a 32:18 29er last year.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ahhhh…..Finally cottoned on to my secret Mr M!!Got a Salsa El Mariachi in the shop (in your size!) and you can have a go on Mr C’s (though its got gears now).
    Oh 33:17 btw.
    P.s,DON’T DO IT 😯

igm

robkhoo is correct – SS is good for bad backs*. You only sit down for the easy bits and you don’t hurt your back when your stood up.

*from someone who has had the epidural steroidal injections

Spin
    Free Member

Another vote for 32:18. It’s a good place to start anyway

Jeffus
    Free Member

Mr K , I’m coming up to the shop tomorrow , I’ll have a look , one of my other bikes is going to make way for a hardtail 😀 looks like I need a bag of sprockets to try .
    I ride mainly on my own so I can just go at my own pace, so picking the right one to suit will be one that lets me ride up every thing coming down I’m happy to roll and pump it.

[P.s,DON’T DO IT 😯 ] I can always put gears on if I’m too weak 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ll need a gear that’ll get you up the hill ,over the mountain…..22:34!

Jeffus
    Free Member

😀 22:34 , still sounds tough , I still struggle with a 32 -36 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

start at 32:20

robdeanhove
    Free Member

If you’re coming from a 26″ singlespeed, as pointed out above, 32:18 on a 29er is equivalent to the magic “it’s the law” 32:16 on a 26″ bike, so 32:18 is an excellent 29er singlespeed starting point

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, gives me plenty to think about, 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I live in N.Wales mainly hills and more hills, like to ride trail centers and all the natural trails

my money is you end up on 32:20

tazzymtb

34-(19 or 20) with a wibbly front Rotor ring on the go fast singlespeed and have been playing with a 35-18 on the other big wheeler with a prototype elliptical ring (it’s a bit stiff on a couple of climbs in Macc forest, but do-able with some brute force and ignorance)

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

36×19 here. good for most things i find.

Q, what gear for a ss 69er?

tazzymtb

Q, what gear for a ss 69er?

same as a normal 26er as you have an ickle wheel at the back is the normal convention

Jeffus
    Free Member

Rode my bike up my normal long climb tonight and I was in 4th and 5 th ring all the way up which is 17 and 19 teeth on my cassette, 32 up front,
    26″ wheels so the 32-20 may well be a good place to start, although I was on a 140mm full sus Orange 5 weighs about 31lb 1 x 10 ,so I’m guessing a 29er single speed will be more around 25-26lb, so I may be able to do better with less weight.

Stoner
    Free Member

26″ (nominal) 32:17 and 32:19 is 44″ to 49″ gear inches.

That’s quite short.

for 26″ nominal, 32:16 = 52″

for 29″ nominal:

32:18 = 52″
    32:20 = 46″
    36:20 = 52″

32:20 (29″) is a sissies gear 😉

Really, bump up the gear inches and watch your climbing skillz improve.

birdage

32:19 on my swift gets me up anything Southdowns Lewes way but was a bit spinny on the flats. 32:18 is a better compromise but noticeably tougher on harder climbs. Mostly though a clean drive chain and good attitude is worth more than 1 tooth.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘29er single speed gearing??’ is closed to new replies.