Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 26er vs 29ers – is one better in winter
  • MoreCashThanDash

Strange debate amongst non-cycling work colleagues who saw me reading an article on 29ers today*

I tried to explain the supposed advantages of 29ers re momentum, contact points and so on, and that somehow got a couple of guys debating whether 29ers would be better in summer/drier conditions rather than 26ers, or whether they would be better in winter.

Now I’m curious as to what you guys might think on the matter, as when I win the lottery I’ve always fancied a “winter bike” and a “summer” one….

*can I just add that we weren’t actually at work debating this, we were on the train back from a meeting where we had been told how many of us will be surplus to requirements in the next financial year. 20% of us apparently, if you are interested. Gotta love these public spending cuts…..

TomZesty
    Free Member

26ers are always better!! 🙂

ton

both are shit in mud

qwerty
    Free Member

700c x 35

69er
    Free Member

A bit of each is best …… 😉

luked2
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from quite a long ride with a friend. He rides a geared 26″ bike and is usually faster than me. Today’s ride was *very* muddy and slithery and I definitely had the edge over him on my SS 29er.

Lots of slithery bridleways. I imagine in dry twisty-turny forests it would be a different story.

dickie
    Free Member

Turned my SS 29er into a 1×9 today & went for a ride on my local loop.
    It was very muddy & squirmy & found it very hard, in fact hardest I can ever remember.
    I would say 26ers are easier to accelerate in muddy conditions & 29ers are better suited to harder surfaces.

rOcKeTdOg

my 29er copes with muddy local trails better than my 26″ does, but then this is the first year ever i’ve had proper mud tyres

MoreCashThanDash

So that’s as conclusive as I was expecting……. 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘26er vs 29ers – is one better in winter’ is closed to new replies.