Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 2018 YT Jeffsy specs
  • ta11pau1

The 2018 YT Jeffsy (and probably Capra, haven’t looked) are out, interestingly there’s zero GX/XO1 eagle across the range – I was expecting it to feature on most of the new Jeffsy bikes.

I’m guessing the frames haven’t changed from last year, just the spec and colours. Were they boost front and rear last year?

Instead every single model gets an e*thirteen 9-46 11 speed cassette with a range of shimano shifting options.

The CF pro at £3599 looks very well specced – XTR mech/shifter, carbon Raceface cranks and bars, Fox float perfomance front and rear (34 and DPS), Fox transfer dropper, e*thirteen wheels, Guide RSC brakes and it’s light at 12.6kg/27.8lbs – and the wheels aren’t especially light at 1850g so could be even lighter.

It comes in a much nicer red frame too

The CF Pro Race is dripping with carbon and bling but at £4499 I’m sure it’s gone up in price vs last years model? Yep – £3799, that’s a bit of a hike!

😯 8)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Capra hasn’t been announced I don’t think. Changes to geo imagine, boost etc

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Yeah that’s a bold move speccing every bike with that e13 cassette,I wonder how durable they are for the £230. I guess people that pedal a fair bit and wear stuff out or peeps that don’t keep an eye on chainwear may balk at the like for like replacement costs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gachet
    Free Member

It does seem like a strange move not specing Eagle as most other manufacturers have it on their 2018 bikes. Intense used these e13 cassettes in 2017 as a stop gap before 12 speed was available in lower groupsets, but I’ve got no idea on performance or durability.

I’ve only looked at the 29er, but the geometry still looks quite dated as the reach is fairly short and I think they’ve made a mistake having long seat tubes on the L and XL as it’s not going to be possible for a shorter rider to upsize and run a 150mm dropper.

kimbers

9-46 is plenty of range and going eagle just coz its got 1 more gear is pretty pointless.

Also

and the wheels aren’t especially light at 1850g so could be even lighter.

1850g is a pretty good weight for a 29er wheelset, especially OEM!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

e*thirteen 9-46 11 speed cassette: that’s interesting!

for my budget range(but don’t look for a bike right now): would be more the Jeffsy 27 AL 2.299 €…

2018 price list for the Jeffsy:

Jeffsy 27 Pro Race: 4.999 €
    Jeffsy 29 Pro Race: 4.999 €
    Jeffsy 27 CF Pro: 3.999 €
    Jeffsy 29 CF Pro: 3.999 €
    Jeffsy 27 CF: 3.499 €
    Jeffsy 29 CF: 3.499 €
    Jeffsy 27 AL Comp: 2.799 €
    Jeffsy 29 AL Comp: 2.799 €
    Jeffsy 27 AL: 2.299 €
    Jeffsy 29 AL: 2.299 €

And correct – nothing about the Capra 2018 yet

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I wonder how durable they are for the £230. I guess people that pedal a fair bit and wear stuff out or peeps that don’t keep an eye on chainwear may balk at the like for like replacement costs.

may balk…?

I love my Deore 2×10. Not sexy but very low cost to keep up running.
    The YT Jeffsy bike is a beautiful machine – but this £230 cassette makes me wonder. Great, great range. But £230? Guess I would need one every year…?
    😯

mrdobermann
    Free Member

Other cassettes are available once you worn the original!

ThePinkster

I’ve only looked at the 29er, but the geometry still looks quite dated as the reach is fairly short

I’ve been looking at that too, don’t understand why the 29er has a completely different, and much shorter, reach than the 27.

The large 29er reach is pretty much perfect for me but the seatpost too long, while the medium 27 would be perfect but I want 29er wheels.

Leku
    Free Member

The 29er came first, by about 2 years. YT tend to run a mould for as long as possible, so frames don’t change year on year. 27 gives a good idea of what the next 29er will look like (possibly next year?).

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

bikeradar & Jeffsy 2018:

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/yt-jeffsy-2018-51528/

the biggest news is the announcement that YT is stepping away from SRAM’s 1x groupsets

YT has dubbed this DIY-groupset of sorts ‘Eleven+’ and claims that it is “distinctly more durable and much easier to adjust” than a 12-speed drivetrain

It appears that YT really loves the e*thirteen components!
    This indirectly means: YT criticized the SRAM 12-speed…

(Personally don’t have a 12-speed drivetrain and no e*thirteen 11-speed cassette. But above is interesting…)

scruff
    Free Member

UK prices are on the UK site.

honourablegeorge

Having half your cassette made of aluminium is a terrible idea. Will be slipping in no time.

P-Jay
    Free Member

YT might be in a bit of a piss with SRAM. I seem to recall SRAM equipped bikes avoid some import duty by shipping frames and finishing kit separately, where are YT ship their bikes direct to end users compete. I’m not sure that effects sales within the EU though.

Perhaps they just like the stuff, Shimano is usually a lot cheaper than SRAM and a bit of tribalism apart there’s not much to knock on it.

enigmas
    Free Member

The cynic in me reckons that YT got a decent deal on the shimano xtr stuff with it going 1×12 this year, then the same on the e13 cassettes as part of the bulk deal for all the e13 components on the bikes (which there are a lot!).

Not saying it doesn’t work well, but imo I imagine they’re pushing it on cost grounds as it would be much safer just to spec eagle on all the bikes.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

but imo I imagine they’re pushing it on cost grounds

possible.

Companies like YT expect crazy OEM rebates.
    SRAM refused to go that much down with the 1×12 system?

Speculation. But possible.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I like the idea of that cassette as it’s clever but not the price and the locking into itself interface scares me as it may take some good drive forces and wear/move or maybe it doesn’t-I know it’s a pipedream but if it was around £100 I may consider it .
    Luckily I’m happy with my £80 11 speed GX Sram ones which I’m guessing would be the cheapest XD cassette 11 speed ‘downgrade’ option for the people who buy these bikes.

ta11pau1

enigmas – Member
    The cynic in me reckons that YT got a decent deal on the shimano xtr stuff with it going 1×12 this year, then the same on the e13 cassettes as part of the bulk deal for all the e13 components on the bikes (which there are a lot!).

Not saying it doesn’t work well, but imo I imagine they’re pushing it on cost grounds as it would be much safer just to spec eagle on all the bikes.

There is the argument that if you’re somewhere with a lack of bike shops 11 speed stuff is easier to get hold of, but I too think it’s been done for cost – count up the amount of e*thirteen parts on the bikes and it makes sense that they got the lot on a decent discount.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

lack of bike shops

count up the amount of e*thirteen parts on the bikes and it makes sense that they got the lot on a decent discount.

good points.

But additional to this:

Also an indication that there is no clear cost efficient technical path yet in the 2×10,2×11,1×11,1×12 Shimano/SRAM/e*thirteen discussion.

Personally: like this situation.
    Exciting!
    (so far, for me: clear only that 3×10 for new bikes is no option any more. But that was clear before the 2018 Jeffsy spec was published!)
    🙄

andyl
    Free Member

does seem am odd set up. Shimano shifters and RD, Sram brakes, 13 cranks and cassette.

I suspect they got a pretty good deal on the E13 cassettes as a lot of people will probably just replace like for like no knowing they can got a cheaper 10-42 GX for £75 and with 3 aluminium sprockets they will wear out!

scruff
    Free Member

Can you actually buy the worn out bits though?

Goldigger
    Free Member

£92 cheaper to buy a shimano cassette..

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Mmmhhh – I would like to keep the range of 9-46.

10-42 is not really the same – the Jeffsy wouldn’t be the same after one year biking and changing to 10-42?

Possible as well: e*thirteen will change the £230 price tag soon?

No idea if the Jeffsy 2018 spec was a good decision. But possible that the owners will love it. And then it’t great business for e*thirteen.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Are they running boost rear end and forks? Can’t see it on the website..

Edit…yes they are..found it

mccraque

I emailed them about boost earlier. Confirmed front and back.

Now the question is…do I sell last years stumpy and go for the YT!

nairnster
    Free Member

Perhaps they don’t like 28.99 mm BB

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

according to their website: all Jeffsy sizes available now.
    (but Capra: completely sold out and no spec yet)

this thread,above posts / discussion e*thirteen 1×11 and “no SRAM 1×12”:

there are some press infos out now. Bikeradar and some others. YT is really complaining about 1×12…

Real technical / testing background or only based on costs?
    Costs: YT Jeffsy 2018 pricing is lower than 2017!

warpcow
    Free Member

Because SRAM enforces purchase of the full Eagle group [for OEM]

That right there must be the explanation. From a GT rep in the DUB q&a over on Pinkbike. YT probably wanted e13 cranks as they’ve done before and SRAM just wouldn’t play ball.

sauce

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

@warpcow:

Thanks.
    That’s very interesting lots of detail!

Fun is that, question to SRAM:

“the latter of which you are currently in a lawsuit with”

Must be quite some fights going on.
    Your explanation:

SRAM just wouldn’t play ball

Makes sense.

warpcow
    Free Member

Funny to see all those brand managers giving lukewarm praise and then ‘but none of it matters cos we don’t have a choice anyway’.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

@warpcow:

yes. Agree.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘2018 YT Jeffsy specs’ is closed to new replies.