• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Seems about time for a new thread with the first few club races coming up in a few weeks time.

So who’s doing what this season? What are your goals and aspirations?

Nothing at all planned here yet, I really need to get some open’s in the calendar! Be a few club events to dip my toe into the chilly waters of early season racing no doubt.

nathb
    Free Member

Quite tempted to stick some TT bars on and have a go at a 10 mile TT.

If one was to have a go, what event would you recommend for a newbie? (West London).

aP
    Free Member

nathb
    Quite tempted to stick some TT bars on and have a go at a 10 mile TT.
    If one was to have a go, what event would you recommend for a newbie? (West London).

Assuming that you’re a member of a west London club then why not ride one of the west London Combine events?

djglover
    Free Member

.. duplicate

djglover
    Free Member

I will do our clubs 10M TT, here is the course. Not sure if anything other than a road bike is required as its pretty much all uphill! any views? https://www.strava.com/segments/3914923?hl=en-GB

aP
    Free Member

You’ve just missed the Gil Jessop Memorial Sporting 14 on Sunday morning last. It was fairly bracing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

nathb, events page of LWDC lists local club events…

http://www.lwdc.co.uk/Events/Default.aspx

Nothing up there yet as it’s very early and most clubs haven’t published calendars yet. They run evening time trials round Hillingdon I believe which may tickle your fancy.

If you’re a member of a club you can generally just rock up and do any other club event, or enter an open event via ctt website. If you’re not a member of a club you may need to go for a “come and try it” event that clubs run, depends how fussy they are (probably an insurance thing!)

Garry_Lager

I’ll be doing our club 10s, although they start early May so a while away yet. Other clubs prob start earlier so I’ll keep my eye out.

My goal is modest – want to do 24 min. 25mph av sounds like a decent benchmark for a club cyclist, plus our course is pretty honest, so if I can hit that I’ll be happy. I was nearly a minute off that last season so it will demand some improvement.

Might try a 25 but have a bit of trepidation – hurting your legs and lungs is one thing, hurting your own ballsack is a different matter. Just seems like a tough body position to hold for extended periods. Obv one must get used to it.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Few local 10’s for me, possibly a 25, but nothing more.
    Road bike in TT mode for me= Carbon wheels & Aeroshell on my helmet.

Kryton57

nathb – Member

The Westlerly TT’s are probably what you want and are run at Hillingdon. Google Westerley CC. I’ll be there when I can.

No specific targets other than going faster at Hillingdon, although with a TT bike now my setup has changed. I’m spending some time at Velopark next seturday to get some setup done, although i did two turbo session plus fettling on the bike this weekend.

I’ve put all the SPOCO events in my diary, but TT will play second fiddle to MTB race and remain “fun” threshold/VO2max workouts for me.

Kryton57
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

Sub 22 for a 10 is my aim, I was getting close last season and bike position was the most sorted I’d had it. Then I bought a new bike and didn’t get all the measurements from the old one 😳 ….

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks mrblobby & kryton57 – I’ll check those out.

TT’ing around Hillingdon does sound more appealing than the open road.

lunge

Fancy a crack at one or 2 this year but have never indulged before.

Serious question, do you just find out where your local one is and head up? Or do you need to contact people/book a place in advance?

Kryton57

TT’ing around Hillingdon does sound more appealing than the open road.

Not that I don’t like it becuase I do, but it can be a bit crowded, you do have to be aware of whose around / coming up fast which is an issue when you don’t want to turn your head/your pushing hard.

I did a dual carriageway on the A1 early in the morning, that was awesome as you pretty much have yourself to yourself for 2 long stretches with marshals securing your transition around the on/off ramp as you turn around. I enjoyed that.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Serious question, do you just find out where your local one is and head up? Or do you need to contact people/book a place in advance?

Pretty much for a club event. I’d recommend just dropping them a note (most of them have facebook pages) asking if it’s ok for non-members and checking on parking and sign on.

For open events it’s all a bit more serious. You have to enter in advance (usually at least a couple of weeks ahead of the event) on the CyclingTimeTrials web site.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d love a go at TT’ing, and the local clubs round here run a great Wednesday night series, but I fear my FTP of ~230W isn’t conducive to flat TT’s 🙁

May get a set of clip on’s and have a go anyway just for a giggle.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m not really interested in TTing but suspect I might have a go at one our clubs 10 milers at some point this year – but only if I can persuade someone even slower than me to have a go, as I very much doubt I’ll break 30 minutes.

This is the course my club uses: https://www.strava.com/segments/7003895

Kryton57

I’d love a go at TT’ing, and the local clubs round here run a great Wednesday night series, but I fear my FTP of ~230W isn’t conducive to flat TT’s

May get a set of clip on’s and have a go anyway just for a giggle.

First, you are only racing yourself. Second its not just about FTP its about how you use it. I have a relatively low FTP or w/kg for a racing type, but once i profiled my power (Hunter /Allen test) you learn how to use your strenghts and weaknesses in training and racing.

fifeandy
    Free Member

you learn how to use your strenghts and weaknesses

Oh, that’s easy, i’m very well aware of those.

Strength:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/1338508

Weakness:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/7006059

Not many TT’s up 4000ft climbs near me though!

fifeandy
    Free Member

I guess this one would be about as good as it gets for me:
    http://www.dunfermlinecc.com/tt

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fifeandy, early season races are usually sporting courses (typically hilly twisty country lanes) and late season come the hill climbs.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m a bit late to the thread, but I’ll be TTing again this year. Probably my main focus for the year. I’ve got a TT bike fit pencilled in so hopefully I should be able to find a more sustainable position (I can get into what seems to be a relatively fast position for 10s but can’t hold it for anything longer).

In terms of targets I’d like to get below 23 minutes for 10 miles (PB 23:17), improve my 25 and 50 times, and more importantly get to the finish of the national TTT with my teammates. None of us have ever done a 3 up before (and 2 of us have never done a 2 up) so it’s very much a learning experience between now and June. We’ve got our first TTT training session next weekend, but we’re starting on road bikes.

TiRed

Will be riding the Westerly’s, Hounslow 10s on the sporting course and some West London Combines I think. I’ve been meaning to take it a bit more seriously. I’m really a 25 and longer rider, having achieved my sub-hour on a sporting course last year.

And looking for a disc wheel makes me think a bit more seriously, I guess!

Kryton57

Any better advice on Aero bottles that the Elite Chrono kit for £25?

kilo

If you’re not doing over a 25 don’t bother with a bottle oand if you do need one just use a normal bottle

eskay

Probably just a few club 10’s for me this year. The kid’s cycling has virtually put a stop to me doing anything meaningful. One of them rode the Revolution series over the winter, so that meant trips to Glasgow, Manchester (several times) and London. On top of that there have been early season races to grab points for National series races plus training in Newport…..

Because of my limited time I have been doing a cycling specific weights program over winter with only a couple of 2 hour rides (plus a bit of short commuting). This has probably been the least cycling I have done in a winter for a long time. Having never done weights before it will be interesting to see how I go once I top up with some intervals.

Last year this time I was getting ready for my first TT of the season, tomorrow I will be going out for a MTB ride instead.

DT78
    Free Member

Yep I’m in, this year sees the arrival of #2 so I’ll be happy if I can just make it to a couple. Pb is currently a short 25 on a 10 on a slow course so should be easily beaten if I get a chance.

surfingobo
    Free Member

I’ll be trying out the local 10 miler. Recently moved from Loughborough down to Taunton and there seems to be a lot less in the way of TTs down here.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Gosh, already? Hope everyone’s 3cm compliant!

I WILL do a 12hr this year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hope everyone’s 3cm compliant!

😆 there’s going to be even more comedy bickering over at TTF once the season gets going 🙄

FWIW not measured but think I’m ok. I know many who weren’t last season though, will be interesting to see what they do, new frame or position change, or just carry on ignoring the rule.

And don’t forget to sign out at opens either!

Kryton57

With regard to bottles, i thought carryimg a bottle – albeit empty – was supposedly more aero?

Whats this 3cm thing then?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, a quite good summary of the state of affairs here…

Opening a can of worms… 3cm rule

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have a TT bike fit booked so will try to make sure the 3cm rule is taken into account…

Also looking at wheels at the moment. So far I’ve just used road wheels but I bought a 2nd hand disc at the end of last season and now want a deeper front (and maybe a rear for non disc days) to go with it.

kilo

Unless your riding very sporting tt’s why would you take a disc off the rear? It’s not going to be effected by side winds. I had a PX deep section on the rear of my tt bike then I got a disc I never used it again.

breninbeener

In a wave of autumnal enthusiasm i bought a TT frame. Time oressures mean that although its assembled i havnt ridden it yet. Im not sure on the ‘fit’. What should i be trying to achieve? Im quite happy getting comfortable on a road or mtb, but im not sure quite where i should be and how to get there…

breninbeener

Anyone point me to a decent resource so i can get somewhere near on the position?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have a look at the “Bike Position” section in this post…

TT RIDER. Rod and Bikefitter discuss the secret of speed

Many just start with the limitations of the rules (i.e. 5cm and 3cm) if it’s workable for you and evolve from there.

It may be worth fully documenting your existing road position (using something like Bike Fast Fit) to see where you currently are in terms of angles. TT position is often simplistically explained as your road position but with everything rotated forwards a bit (it’s not really but it’s not a bad way to start thinking about it.)

breninbeener

Ok ace, thank you!

jb89
    Free Member

Delayed start to the racing season for me. Usually race this following weekend in the Rossendale Hilly in the Forest of Bowland, but it’s intercounty squash weekend this year so squash in Eton instead!

Second traditional early season event, the Hemel Hilly, is out too as I’ve been persuaded to do the Tour of Flanders sportive…should be fun on average 2.5 hours a week!

So, not sure when the first race of the season will be for me! Time to scour the listings!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.