• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Seemed to be a fair bit of interest in a dedicated time trial chit chat thread from my TT bike build thread so here it is!

So what are your 2016 racing plans/aspirations? What have you done so far? What are you riding? And if you’re TT curious I’m sure someone on here would be able to answer any questions.

Going into second proper-ish season here. Mostly club 10’s last year with a few opens. Plan for this year, more opens and a few 25.

Next up for me, Sunday’s Westerley 10 open on H10/22. A dual carriageway at dawn on a cold April morning 😕 Can’t wait for sunny summer evening club races 🙂

jb89
    Free Member

Been riding for 2 years, PB of 21:23 for a 10, haven’t ridden a 25 yet as every one I’ve entered has been cancelled/had to withdraw for some reason!

All on a road bike with clip ons until last August, when I bought a budget TT bike – that’s an ACTUAL budget TT bike (£200)… – which I knocked 40s of the 3 courses I’ve ridden with it!

Only ridden 1 open this year – H10/22 in fact – which was average (22:12 or something) but not bad considering it was 7am and 3c in March!

Aims to go sub 21 for a 10, and ride a 25, under 56 mins would be nice but w shall see!

DT78
    Free Member

Those are some impressive numbers!

No TT bike here, hoping for a sub 25min on the next 10 (May 3rd). Looking at pace, last nights 17km was at a HR / power I should be able to hold for an hour, so I need to learn to embrace the pain and push harder!

mrblobby
    Free Member

considering it was 7am and 3c in March!

Early season races are dismal! I’ve only done 2 so far this year (had another couple cancelled with the weather) and both have been ~4C with a chilly wind 🙁

Aims to go sub 21 for a 10, and ride a 25, under 56 mins would be nice but w shall see!

A 56 should be fine with those 10 times. Only done one 25 myself and it wasn’t that bad, though given how horrid a 10 is it’s still a bit of a daunting prospect!

that’s an ACTUAL budget TT bike

😀

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I started TTing a 3 seasons ago after an illness put the kibosh on my racing season. Got a dedicated TT bike after a season of riding SRB, only managed 3 rides on it last year before a crash ruled me out for a few months.

Done 3 club 10s so far this year – had to completely remodel my front end due to a broken/shortened collarbone and broken sternum, and lost a lot of fitness after my accident, so just feeling my way a bit.

Race 1: (course D10/18) 25:19
    Race 2: (course L105) 24:38
    Race 3: (course D10/18) 24:51

Race 3 was last night, very tricky easterly meant a block headwind for 2/3s of the course. Finally getting to grips with new position, just a bit of seat angle tweaking (Adamo) to stop me sliding forward, but times are heading in the right general direction!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Holy shit your 10 courses are fast!
    Local one to me is on an awfully surfaced undulating b road. If you were doing sub 22’s here you’d be battering everybody!

In fact I just checked only two people went sub 22 at all last year.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Can someone explain what the course codes mean? (or provide a link with an explanation?)

ta!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Holy shit your 10 courses are fast!

Where are you? Quite lucky down in the royal county of west berkshire, a bit spoilt for choice with a fair few fast A road and dual carriageway courses and plenty of slow lumpy rough B road courses.

Can someone explain what the course codes mean? (or provide a link with an explanation?)

History of early time trial here. The letter is usually the district (e.g. the London West ones start with a H.) The distance is usually included too.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Second season for me. Last year I started on a road bike (no clip ons) and finished as fastest lady on our club TT course and overall ladies champion. And I bought a TT bike.

Only one race so far this year – my first open. Nowhere near a PB (horrendous weather conditions on a slow course) but 90 seconds faster than my main rival in the club and we picked up the ladies team prize.

I’ve got a 25 at the weekend. Only my second ever 25 and it will be the longest I’ve ever ridden the TT bike for. Then the club races start next Thursday so that will be pretty much every week til August.

I’ve also got a place in a 10 on a much faster course in May so it will be interesting to see how that goes – I’ve got my eyes on the club 10 mile ladies record – it was set by main rival at the end of last season at a time when I was consistently beating her when we went head to head but not brave enough to venture onto a dual carriageway so I was only riding slow courses and she was riding fast ones.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Where are you?

Scenic Oswestry 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Scenic Oswestry

My brother lives in Wrexham, I shan’t bother looking for races when I visit 🙂

not brave enough to venture onto a dual carriageway

Not overly keen on them either. I’ve only done one and it was my fastest time last year. Though the rider who set off some 15 mins after me got taken out by a van heading for a slip road and the race got cancelled. Thankfully I think that’s a pretty rare occurrence.

TiRed

Aspirations is a bit of a misnomer for me. I’d like to go under the hour for our inter-club sporting 25 TT in May. I did my fourth (ever) TT last night. Just nine miles on a Chobham Common course I know rather well from training rides. Pleased with sub 20 minutes (just) and 4th.

I’d hope I could go under 23 minutes on the slightly hillier proper course, and sub 22 on a flatter smoother course – if I can be bothered to enter. Seems a lot of hard work and travel for 20-odd minutes of riding to be honest 😉 . I would rather like to ride a 50 and a 100, as I think these suit me better.

I also want a flatter saddle than my Aliante, and perhaps some deeper wheels (currently 4 mm Giant pSLR-aeros). I do have the rest of the kit though from road racing. And the steel Shorter is a joy to ride.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did my first 10tt of the year Tuesday night, held about five miles away from where I live. It’s a summer series being held every Tuesday night by a collection of local cycling clubs. Now although all my training up to now since Christmas has been geared towards the Fred Witton in three weeks time, I did a couple of these TT’s last year and really enjoyed them so although I haven’t got a dedicated TT bike I thought I’d do more of them this summer. Now I know with the bike and equipment I’ve got I’ll never trouble the really quick guys but for me it’s more about testing myself, learning to become more aero and pacing myself correctly.
    Anyway I did ok, set off a bit to quick I think but came in 8th fastest out of 51 with an official time of 22.42 over the ten miles. James Gullen just missed out on the course record (held by Ian Bibby) by 3secs with a time of 19.37
    Pick of me just about to set off :

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can someone explain what the course codes mean? (or provide a link with an explanation?

Nope, the first letter is always the district (IIRC based on the original RTTC affiliated clubs), the numbers are usually the distance and course number e.g 10/4 woudl be 10 miles, course number 4. But that’s down to the club organizing it, some would write that 4/10 or 410 or 104. The last letter is a variation, maybe a road no longer exists, got made 1 way, was re-measured etc so you get a, b, c variants. R mean reverse, but not particularly common as in general courses have to run anti clockwise to avoid right turns.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w, I was 5th rider off that night… James’s time was mental! Considering there’s been a roundabout put in since the course record it was an amazing time… But isn’t it Gethen Butler that holds the course record?

Where were those photos published?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve done a few 10s as part of stage races, PB for a 10 on a lumpy course is 24.58 on my road bike without clip ons.

I think I’ll do better at 25s and sporting courses than dual carriageway 10s, mostly because I rarely get it all out in training or in any of the few TTs I’ve done so not sure I’d be any good at 10s as I’d be just getting going and it’d be done!

My first 23m hilly tt on standard road bike was a 1:08:04 ,rough roads, v cold and windy with power meter battery dead, no warm up, rear brake rubbing and on antibiotics, riding to a comfortable feel, but that was enough to win first woman by 4 mins but I certainly wasn’t dead at the end.
    Got a hilly 25 one on Sunday so will see how that goes.
    Juggling road racing with tts but plan to do more TTs with the club 10s and toying with 25 champs.

Will I look like a chopper if I get a TT helmet and ride it on my road bike without clip ons? 😀 Tried clip ons but I’m more aero on the hoods without them!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Will I look like a chopper if I get a TT helmet and ride it on my road bike without clip ons?

Yes, but don’t let that stop you 🙂

TiRed

Well I road race in a helmet designed for aero on the track (Giro Air Attack). I wouldn’t worry about how you look to be honest. The helmet is the least of my worries – at least that’s what I told my wife when standing in clippy shoes and a skinsuit!

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Will I look like a chopper if I get a TT helmet and ride it on my road bike without clip ons?

Not at all, but it might be better to go for a stubby tail design (like a Bambino) or an aero road helmet like an Evade or Ballista.

If you look at your head position on your roadbike, you’re going to struggle to find a longer helmet that would work.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

cyclingweakly – Member
    bjj.andy.w, I was 5th rider off that night… James’s time was mental! Considering there’s been a roundabout put in since the course record it was an amazing time… But isn’t it Gethen Butler that holds the course record?
    Where were those photos published?

Yeah that roundabout would’ve cost James a few seconds and possibly the course record ( I was going off strava for Ian’s time so I apologise, you’ll be right about Gethen Butler holding it 😳 )
    As for the pics they are on Garstang cc Facebook page. Hoping to do a few more of the series when shifts allow 😀

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I’ll look out for you in for future and say hello… I ride a red/black Argon in THR Racing colours…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

cyclingweakly – Member
    I’ll look out for you in for future and say hello… I ride a red/black Argon in THR Racing colours…

I was going to describe what I ride/wear but you’ll already know ^^^ Doh 😆 I’ve also requested you on stravaland (not that I’m stalking you or owt 😳 )

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

You’ve not come through on Strava yet but I’ve followed you… Good to see what the competition are doing, although I don’t expect to be troubling the top 10 for a while… Especially if Gullen keeps turning up!! 😆

2tyred

Scottish Olympic distance (44km? something odd like that) champs for me this Sunday, down near Peebles on a hilly course round the Meldons.

I’ve done alright at this race in the past few years, so I’m guessing that’s why they’ve put me in the seeded 2-minute gap end of the start sheet!

I’m not going particularly well just now and there’s some proper fast people in there, so dented pride is on the cards. Oh dear.

DGOAB – everyone looks like a chopper in a TT, it’s a pretty silly setup!

Garry_Lager

Bought a second hand stealth to do some club tens this year. Previously done 25.30ish on the pompino with clip-ons – would like to hit 24 as that seems like a benchmark of sorts, 25mph average.

Quick question – My bike has 80mm deep rims on, which I’ve not used before – how big a deal is the wind with these? Was wondering if people take a normal front wheel with them in case of a windy day. Or is this only an issue if it’s blowing an absolute hoolie?

2tyred

I normally use a 80mm front and a rear disc, but switch to 40mm front and back if strong crosswinds are likely. Nothing like a gap between hedges for the wind to suddenly smash you from the side.

If the course is an out-and-back and the wind’s a head or tailwind, then it’s not an issue.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I have an 80 on the back and a 60 up front. They’re bulge-shaped rims so not as difficult to control as flat-sided deeps, but you know about it when you pass a gateway in a crosswind!

If it’s really windy, I put a DA C24 on the front.

SamB
    Free Member

What’s the best way to start into TT’ing? I mostly ride triathlon so not really used to nailing the bike leg, but would like to have a go. It sounds like fun!

Are there any good “starter” events? I’m located in that London if that’s of any relevance…

Kryton57

Sam B try Hillingdon hosted by Westerley CC. It’s in their website, next ones May 4. Or you can come to ours in Brickendon Herts on the 30th April. Both on the CTT website also.

So I did my first 10 solo at Hillingdon on Wednesday, road bike Clip on bars and TT helmet. It was blustery, I was nervous and came 29 of 36 with a 28:37. I got the effort consistent but had loads left. Enjoyed it lots though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Was wondering if people take a normal front wheel with them in case of a windy day. Or is this only an issue if it’s blowing an absolute hoolie?

I’ll either use an 808 (80mm) or a 404 (58mm). Mostly comes down to how fast the course is. The 808 can be a bit of a handful if it’s a slow course and it’s windy. If it’s a fast course then even with quite a cross wind the 808 is very stable if you’re going fast enough to keep the yaw fairly low.

Are there any good “starter” events? I’m located in that London if that’s of any relevance…

Check out local club events. Just google for “london district cct” and pick the appropriate website to find club events.

TiRed

Hillingdon ten and a bit is a good starter. Entry is via RiderHQ. I thin wednesday’s was a sell out and I missed the entry. No more entry on the line. Hounslow run their 10 (or nine yesterday) on chobham common every Thursday evening. This is a sporting course with some modest hills. Very friendly.

scott-b
    Free Member

Did my first 10 a month ago. Felt great for the first 7 miles then turned into an awful head wind. Finished in a 26:02. Got another local 10 on Tuesday and have also signed up for a ride on the a63 in a few weeks.
    Just need to practice the distance more and do more races.

mattsccm
    Free Member

First one of the year on Tuesday, “new” super budget bike built up, sheared frame and all and my back is buggered. Can’t even get on the MTB let alone the road bikes and as for the aero bars. No hope. Marshalling the turn for me. If the bloody temporary traffic lights go that is 👿
    3 club courses , all of them now blocked by lights.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

H10/22 this Sunday, first of the season for me. Putting on the big dog 60t so hope there’s a tailwind up the hill.

Then Charlotteville 50 in two weeks and Hounslow 100 end of May. Then the Newbury 12 in June 😯

scaredypants

slightly fancying a go this summer – not quite sure why (I’m not competitive in either sense of the word)
    Still, might ride a couple of local courses to see if I can do a remotely respectable time. If so, then maybe …

(what’s a “sheared frame” ?)

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Have a crack at a club 10 – a number is worth 10 watts and you’re guaranteed a PB first time!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sheard. Bloody great crack around 359 degrees of the seat tube. Held together with a 500mm seat pin and bolts through the cage bosses and into threaded holes in the pin. Dead clever sticker hides all of this. 🙄

Kryton57

Which aero overshoes would you all recommend? I bought some Velotoze but they are a PITA and I’ve ripped them already. To get them to fit on my shoes they are baggy on my shins also.

Looking for a good fit with wide size 10 Bont Vaypor – and longevity…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Castelli Nano

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve got the Castelli aero race and Velotoze. The former are a lot less faff!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.