• This topic has 137 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • 2015 Giant TCX SLR mutterings
  • Jamie
    Free Member

For anyone that’s interested, the specs have gone up on the Giant US site.

I was hoping there was going to be a decent trickle down from the higher spec models, and we would see HY/RDs, 11 speed 105 and thru-axles in this years SLR 2. Maybe with a slight price increase to around £1100/1200 to accommodate. As Whyte have managed to put out the Suffolk with HY/RDs/11 speed Shimano for that price.

As it goes, there is 11 speed, but apart from changing the tape, that seems to be it. They even appear to have kept the annoying front brake cable routing on the inside of the fork leg. There is the SLR 1, but it looks like it will be about £1k more again, which seems a hell of a price bump for the hydro brakes/thru-axles option. Same colours more or less, as well.

SLR2: Shimano 105 11-speed shifting + TRP Spyres

SLR1 – Shimano 105 11-speed + Shimano RS685 hydraulic disc brakes:

On a side note, I think Giant must have a surplus of TRP Spyres, as even the £2k-ish Revolt[ing] 0 comes with them. Nice colour, mind.

So, that’s, Genesis/GT/Whyte/Spesh 1 & 2/Giant/Norco/Saracen’s CX/Gravel offerings out of the way. Now to wait to see what Cannondale/Pinnacle/Trek/Rose and Canyon…possibly P-X etc offer. Guess some of those won’t be showcasing till after Eurobike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You missed the Spesh Diverge. Oh, and all of the CDFBrandingMuddle from Genesis.

🙂

The 1×11 TCX looks lurvely, though!

Jamie
    Free Member

You missed the Spesh Diverge. Oh, and all of the CDFBrandingMuddle from Genesis.

At the moment not all manufacturers have all the new bikes in one place, so missed some out to avoid a million links.

Croix De Fer 30 looks nice, if a little pricey over the standard model.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/genesis-croix-de-fer-30-first-look-41889/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Want that TCX Advanced (any idea if they’ll do frame only on it this year?) Though the Saracen Avro has piqued my interest, good price too, chuck on a decent set of wheels and that could be a nice race bike. (bugger, no clearance road bike) The Crux Elite Carbon looks good too, blimey only £2k, tempting.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the subject of the Specializeds. It seems they have split the Crux models into EVO and regular models. With the EVO being ‘gravel’ bikes. Although, it seems to only actual difference is different tyres and saddle.

Edit: The carbon evo has a carbon post it seems. Non-evo doesn’t.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/2015-early-launch-bikes/compare/#/1274-15CruX-15CruXCruXEliteEVO/1274-15CruX-15CruXCruXElite/

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/2015-early-launch-bikes/compare/#/1274-15CruX-15CruXCruXSportE5/1274-15CruX-15CruXCruXSportE5Evo/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is a bit weird that. Those pointy beak seat posts look bloody awful. Their frame only offering comes with it too, enough to put me off, well that and the awful orange colour.

Is anyone spec’ing SRAM hydros? Manufacturers put off my the debacle of last year?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is anyone spec’ing SRAM hydros? Manufacturers put off my the debacle of last year?

The way I see it, is that SRAM hydros were only used last year as they were the only option on the market. Obviously, there are question as to whether they rushed the product to the market a little bit too quickly. given the recalls on the HRD700s.

The fact that nearly everyone seems to be using the Shimano RS685 hydros this year seems to confirm manufacturers have lost a bit of faith in SRAM.

…plus their shifter looked terrible. IMHO.

On a sidenote, if anyone is a S or a L on a Giant, you could do a lot worse than this with £1k off:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-tcx-advanced-1-2014.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dammit, if that was an ML I’d be on my way to Tadley now. Hmm wonder if the price would apply to ones that are not in stock? May need to give them a bell.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would fit the small, but really not a fan of SRAM. plus I wonder if they have had the revised brakes fitted.

househusband

Having sold the Haibike Noon (it was too small and my reservations about the wheels were justified…) I had for several months I’m looking again – and I’m back onto the CAADX. Ticks all the boxes; good frame, has mounts for rack and mudguards for optional touring.

Not fussed about 1×11 or hydro brakes. Not even sure if worth waiting for 2015 spec.

Just back in from the LBS and saw some Ridley alloy frames… the welding was, to be polite, agricultural in appearance.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cannondale do make a nice frame.

Normally ship with poo brakes, tho.

bigdawg
    Free Member

not sure why they’re showing the 2015 Giants, the 2014 bikes still arent available according to Giant UK

Jamie
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cannondale offerings here. Can’t find any UK prices though.

I rather like the look of the SuperX CX1…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got the TCX Advanced, it’s rather Ace actually.

There were few choices around when I started looking for a Racy CX. I was looking to start doing some training for CX racing for the winter and bike choice had to fit in the Race category first then be comfortable for Hacking. I looked at Ridleys, TREK’s and some one off builds and stumbled on the Giant when meandering into Giant St Pauls in London.
    First impressions were love at first sight. Light, fast, in baby blue, full on carbon sexyness and I bought it. I have suffered, like so many, from the SRAM Hydro debacle but I’m not going to moan about that again on here, suffice to say I’ve had the bike back for 4 weeks now and it’s bloody excellent.
    For me it fit’s it’s a Medium, it’s light (but I don’t know what it weighs) it’s bloody racy and yet comfortable to Hack all day on it (I did a 65k mixed bridleway/singletrack/Downs blast yesterday) and still came back wanting for more.
    A few points I’ll consider upgrading, the wheels aren’t particularly light so I’ll change them in the next few weeks and, well thats it.
    I’f anyones around the Downs you’ll see me hacking it and you are more than welcome to take a peek/have a go.
    Service and support form Giant has been exceptional, have to say it’s the first time I’ve ever been impressed by a dealer and St Pauls have been more than helpful and accommodating. First Giant bike and now not that last.
    It cost £3k, but for me that was way worth it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm 2015 Advanced Pro 1 in blue with shimano hydros and ultegra shifting… 🙂

Bit surprised not to see a new Trinity in the Giant line up for 2015, probably one for another thread/forum though!

Service and support form Giant has been exceptional, have to say it’s the first time I’ve ever been impressed by a dealer and St Pauls have been more than helpful and accommodating. First Giant bike and now not that last.

Oh and this has also been my experience with Giant. They really are very good and my LBS has nothing but praise for them, especially when it comes to not pissing about over warranty issues. Love my TCR and really want that TCX!

Jamie
    Free Member

For all those not down with the kids.

Hack = Ride 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ thats the fella. 😀

Thing to note is that this year Giant haven’t changed the frames at all, ok some new model additions but the TCX’s are the same bikes in all but a few add on bits.

They look better in the flesh 8)

Hack = Hack = Hack.

Gotta love Hacking. 😆

I have a couple of “offroad” routes around London if anyone fancies a Hack in an evening 😀

Quick edit: the bike came supplied with mudguard fittings, little plastic jobbies to attach the rear to the stays and the front to the forks..

What a waste 😆 😆

I’ve also changed the tyres to Griffo’s and they’re running slightly thinner than the supplied Sam’s that came with it. I will probably use the Sams in deepest Winter but for now whilst it’s rocket fast out there the Griffo’s are the deal, tubeless of course.

One small thing, not that it’s affected me just yet, the front brake routing.. still unsure as to the logic of routing it through the front fork.. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

@Bikebuoy

How are the revised HRD700s? Also, do the shifters look as bulbous in real life?

One small thing, not that it’s affected me just yet, the front brake routing.. still unsure as to the logic of routing it through the front fork..

I had a TCX SLR 2 briefly, and the front cable routing just shouted 4pm on a Friday decision. Very surprised it seems to be the same again on the 2015 bikes.

So far, out all I have seen, I am thinking the Spesh Carbon Evo for £2k stands out. 11 speed 105, carbon frame/fork/post and TRP HY/RD.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader!
    @Bikebuoy

How are the revised HRD700s? Also, do the shifters look as bulbous in real life?

Well I’m a hoods guy and to be honest they are better at gripping/holding than the last set that were on it. Bulbous? I’d say no, not at all. Comfortable? yes, yes they are. Shifting? yes they do that too, faultless and efficient as I would expect.

Friday 4pm design I’d agree with, mine doesn’t have the small screw fitting attaching it to the underneath of the fork U bend, the cable just runs from front to back under the fork then attaches behind with cable ties.. I might play with this setup once I’ve killed my legs off riding it and it starts to rain heavy one evening.. Until then, my legs will fall off.

😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

… but the Evo has that hideous seat post! I’d go for the normal Crux Carbon. Having had a spin on last years carbon Crux it would have been a lovely bike to race on.

bikebouy, heard some good things about the flexy seatpost on the Giant, how’s it for you?

Jamie
    Free Member

@BB

So the HRD700 replacements, are exactly the same as shown here:

…just different internals? I assume the calipers are the same, as the issue was with the master cyclinder, correct?

… but the Evo has that hideous seat post! I’d go for the normal Crux Carbon. Having had a spin on last years carbon Crux it would have been a lovely bike to race on.

It’s not the best, but it would be under my arse, so out of my line of sight 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Ohhh now hold on there dear boy. I can’t see that nor tell the bloody difference 😆
    All I know is they are the new 2015 versions and the housing IIRC is slightly wider and the top of the hood is slightly taller than the previous “knackered” version. The brakes, the whole set including calipers/hoods/cables, were changed to the 2015 rollout versions. They just took off the previous set and replaced them wholesale, which was both nice and what I expected SRAM to do.

Do note: I don’t wear gloves, well I do in deepest Winter but then they’re the thinnest I can get away with. So the hoods fit me very well without gloves, I expect they will when I don a pair of “Autumn” gloves when it’s -10C 😉

To add..
    I’m definetly going into corners harder and at greater lean angles and speed as I ride it more. I’m finding (cough) the discs are proving more confidence inspiring and better feeling than canti’s. I am a died in the wool canti’s fan from the road and had mixed feelings about discs on CX bikes, thats faded totally now. I am converted.
    Keep the bloody things off road bikes though.

Weee bloody heee

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Jamie
    Free Member

Pricing for the GT Grade just been released. Looks like the Carbon 105, with full hydro brakes/decent wheels etc, at £1999 seems the standout ‘bargain’.

More ‘gravel’ orientated, but different in a good way methinks.

GT Enduroad carbon frame and fork, disc specific, triple triangle with tapered head tube, PF BB30 bottom bracket, removable fender bridge, all-day geometry, Dual Fiber Dynamic technology

GT Carbon tapered fork 1” 1/8-1” 1/4, disc specific, 15mm thru-axle, threadless carbon steerer

Shimano 105 crankset 52/36 with Praxis Works PF30

Shimano 105 STI 11spd derailleur

Shimano R685 hydraulic disc brakes (F&R), 160mm Ice Tech center lock rotors

Stans No Tubes Grail Disc Specific Road 28h Rims w/ Formula 4 bearing sealed, center lock. (F: 15mm thru-axle; R: 135mm x 9mm)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm not sure about that. Do GT do a proper cross racer?

This on the other hand…

… is rather lovely but I’m guessing it’s going to be pricey!

househusband

Pricing for the GT Grade just been released.

Where did you get the price from, Jamie?

njee20
    Free Member

While we’re diverging into other carbon CX bikes, I’m sorely tempted by one of these at £2400 (albeit not as good value as the GT):

I’ve already priced up a swap to Di2/hydro discs and some carbon wheels. There is a version which comes with Di2/hydros, but it’s not as nice a colour. Be a hell of a winter bike. Hmmm…

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm not sure about that. Do GT do a proper cross racer?

Don’t think so this year. It’s just this ‘Enduroad’ thing. To be honest, I should discount the bike straightaway due to this nugget from GT’s website:

Understanding that the non-conformist of the Road needs a high-performance daily ripper,

In relation to the Grade, I do like it, but it seems max rear tyre is 35mm acccording to Bike Rumour. This is with a 28mm fitted:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7zd3EQx.jpg[/img]

…but on GT’s site they have this:

….which handily doesn’t note the sizes fitted.

I’ve have removed more paint from the inside of chainstays with my areas own brand of clay mud, that I might have to rule this one out. Seems a massive oversight to give such limited clearance.

Where did you get the price from, Jamie?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/gt-grade-2015-builds-and-pricing-41995/

househusband

Ta.

I just don’t think I could grow to love that frame, though…

bikebouy
    Free Member

So guys, what size tyres are you expecting to fit ? I’m on Griffo 32’s and max I’ll use the Sams for deepest Winter and they’re 34’s (IIRC) Are you hoping to stick some 38’s or 40’s in there?? If so, whats the logic?

Jamie
    Free Member

Less the tyre size, more the clearance on top of that. I usually run a 35c, but would be nice to pop a 42c on and still have a bit of room to spare.

Not really a deal breaker, but nice to have the option.

bikebouy
    Free Member

35’s I can see but 40+ and you are in MTB world Shirley?

Crack on, I’m interested in your musings 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

35’s I can see but 40+ and you are in MTB world Shirley?

Nah, you’re in a world of comfort 8)

…but it’s mostly wanting 35c and some clearance, Clarence.

muggomagic

I was looking at the 2015 trek cx range. They seem to be quite a lot of money for what you’re getting or is all the value being sucked up by the isospeed frame and forks?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Clearance is king 😀 I have 700×38 Twin Rails and mudguards on my TCX SLR 2 at the mo’. There’s still room underneath.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Trek’s look ok, think I’d be happy with a Crockett, though the range they bring into the UK is really poor compared to what they have in the US. Annoying.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ve got me thinking now guys, just how big a tyre I can go on my TCX, got any thoughts? Wonder if I’ll get a 37/38 in there??

S’pose it would turn it into an adventureX type thingy..

Hmmm..

No racks though, ohh the shame 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

See my post above 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ “racks”

🙄

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘2015 Giant TCX SLR mutterings’ is closed to new replies.