Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New road bike; 2013 Cube agree gtc compact or 2013 Specialized Tarmac, opinions?
  • jackal
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of getting rid of the cx bike and going for a road bike instead.
    Not wanting to spend loads, so looking at discounted 2013 models, my 2 favourites up to now being the cube and tarmac.
    These two;

cube

tarmac

Anybody got/own/ridden each or even both?

I know the cube is obviously better spec but is the spesh a much better frame? I like the look of the Tarmac better to be honest, and well its a specialized, but would I cope with the 9spd Sora?

Size wise I was thinking a 56cm in the Tarmac and a 58cm in Cube, I’m 5’10” with long arms.
    Do those sizes seem about right? I’ve sat on a 56cm Tarmac and it felt ok, more stretched than my cx bike, but I’m assuming it should be?

Any thoughts/opinions greatly received.
    Cheers.

etsxteam
    Free Member

I got the Cube Agree GTC Pro in December 2013 model size 56cm I’m 5 8 it’s my first road bike to help keep fit for MTB done about 250 miles on it really impressed frame comfortable compared to other road bikes I’ve tried and the components are high spec for the money

cynic-al
    Free Member

58 is likely to be too big (unless it is odd geometry), but yes you will usually be more stretched out on a road bike.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers lads.
    Anyone got the budget spec tarmac I’m refering to above?

Al, I think the cubes come up a little short/small for their size, I’ll have to check up on it again (I’ve looked at that many geometry charts of late)…

etsxteam
    Free Member

I would normal be 54cm road bike but had to go 56cm with Cube

simondbarnes

I’ve ridden the base 2013 Tarmac. It rides very nicely indeed and Sora is now a perfectly usable groupset. Personally I’d try and find a bit more cash and get the Tarmac Sport though as 105 shifters are a lot nicer to use.

scotroutes

The GTC Agrees are, indeed, small for their size. I’m 5’7″ and ride a 56cm so a 58 would likely be ideal for you.

Supremely comfortable, well specced. What’s not to like?

alansd1980

I realised this week that the only original parts on my workhorse road bike are frame fork shifters and cranks.
    Based on that go with the best frame as everything else will wear out. The spesh will have a lifetime warranty on the frame so unless you choose to change it will outlast you. Not saying the cube isn’t a great piece of kit but I would go for the Tarmac.

brakes
    Free Member

what about a hand grinder.
    I’ve been seriously getting one of these.

codybrennan
    Free Member

As others have said, if you go for the Cube, size it carefully. I am the same height as the chaps above but the bike shop ‘carefully’ fitted me to a 53cms. It was miles too small.

I’d pick the Cube over the Tarmac btw. Better bike all round.

brakes
    Free Member

sorry, last post was wrong thread.

gar69
    Free Member

I,m 511 and got the cube in 58. Had to buy longer stem to get the right stretch. They come up very small. First geared road bike since 1989 so not able to give a comparison ! It’s not as comfy as my kona bandwagon but I was surprised at how much buz the frame absorbed and it really is nice and stiff when you put some power down. Really happy with mine.

martymac

im 5′ 10”, usually 54 on a road bike, went 56 on my cube peloton, and it feels better with a longer stem too.
    we have 3 cube bikes, they are all good, no complaints.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve just bought the 2013 cube agree gtc, I’m 5 foot 10 and went for the 58cm based on reports of them coming up small, this size seems fine for me.

Cant really comment with authority on the bike itself, its my first road bike since I had a raleigh pursuit 25 years ago. It seems good to me though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New road bike; 2013 Cube agree gtc compact or 2013 Specialized Tarmac, opinions?’ is closed to new replies.