Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2012 specialized camber expert 26" any good..
  • maggsy99
    Free Member

looking at one of these spesh camber expert 2012 model in my local bike shop any good any reviews on this model …

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I loved my 2011 version, it’s for sale now but if I could I would keep it for sure.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yup – same as above. Got a 2011 expert and its great! Only problem with the earlier cambers was frame flex at the rear under heavy load – I believe they stiffened up the back end in 2012. I commute on mine with skinny tyres – it’s a really comfy bike for all day riding. The bottom bracket is quite low though compared to other similar class bikes.

Only downside as I guess is common with many fs frames is the 11 bearings needed for all the linkage / pivots!

Spesh warranty is very good too (from what I have heard never used it)

stevede
    Free Member

I have a 2011 pro, changed a fair bit – 140mm fox fit 32’s, reverb, 70mm Thomson, renthal fat bar lite’s, bionicon c guide, hope bash, pro2/521’s, better tyres – butcher/purgatory controls tubeless. To be honest I think with the changes it’s a great all rounder – whilst my enduro was out of action over xmas I even used it at gawton and on the short dh tracks at fod. Can’t say I’ve really noticed the flexy rear end or lack of stiffness from the 1 1/8″ headtube – mbr did, despite giving it a 10 they felt it would be even better with a 142 back end and tapered head tube (Specialized coincidentally delivered these for 2012), mbr marketing at its best, I’m not saying they aren’t improvements just that they aren’t as massive as we’re lead to believe.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Do you run a triple or double? Ghost shifting under load when in extremes of gears on the camber (with a triple) has been a little issue on mine for a while, rode a mates 2011 and that did the same thing. Rode a 2012 and did not notice anything – but this could be to do with that running a double bash. It’s not a big issue but you can see the twist in the rear triangle when you step on cranks hard. Compromise between weight and strength I guess – keep a good chain line and its fine.

Agree the 1 1/8 head tube is fine, perfectly happy with the 9mm qr forks too! Like you I made quite a few changes….pro2,s and flows – in my opinion the stock spesh hubs are crap. Still running the triad 2 on it as I like the lockout (have considered an rp23 or new fox ctd but don’t think these can be locked out). Also I am glad the expert was fitted with rebas! A great easy to maintain fork – I will never own another fox front fork due to past issues.

stevede
    Free Member

I run a double and have had chain suck a few times but that was down to poor shifting and chainline – my other bike is 1×10 so sometimes forget I have the granny ring!

Northwind

I didn’t get on with my Pro… All the bits seemed to work individually but it never impressed me when ridden a wee bit harder, it felt incredibly front-endy all the time. I thought with a head-angle headset (which it couldn’t take) or a 140mm fork (which it wasn’t warrantied for) it might have worked better. But honestly it felt no more capable on the downhill trails than my Soda and it’s a pure no-messing XC bike.

Oh, I wouldn’t be bothered about the alleged flex either, unless you love a really stiff frame- it’s just an easy thing for lazy reviewers to bang on about, you know they’ve decided it’s going in the article as soon as they see QRs in the speclist but it’s all cobblers.

But in the end I thought, it’s like an Orange ST4- descends worse than its big brothers, doesn’t climb all that much better.

So- Camber Pro frame for sale 😉 It is obviously fantastic and teh best frame evars.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

How does running 140s feel on the camber Steve? I borrow a set of rs pikeys when my rebas went for tuning and had these running 130. I dropped the stem angle a bit but really liked the ride – also helped to raise the bottom bracket a bit! I know they are set up for 120’s but I may seriously consider going back to a longer fork

LMT
    Free Member

I got my camber expert last summer, awesome bike. I got mine in the sales and tbh its not let me down yet.

stevede
    Free Member

140mm forks feel spot on to be honest, run the lowest rise renthal bar so it’s practically flat and no spacers and it climbs fine, no front wheel lift. Pikes are prob longer a-c though so bear that in mind too. I wasn’t needing the extra travel up front as its predominantly just my xc bike, I just felt it could do with being a touch slacker for me personally. Got some 140’s cheap which, once I sold my 120’s made for a cheap £50 switch.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Interesting thanks 🙂 certainly felt the weight at the front running the pikes! You still running the stock triad 2? (Assuming that was fitted stock).

stevede
    Free Member

Still on the triad, heard plenty of horror stories and my mate killed the one on his shops demo camber hopping it on the back wheel but mine so far has been fine, it works for me on that bike as I lock it out on the commute and also there are a few road linking sections on my local xc rides so find the lockout handy, normally run it pro pedal on and occasionally have it fully open for the odd rough descent. Can feel the difference in performance between the triad and my custom push tuned rp23 on the enduro but it works well enough.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah it’s fine for me, I like it – I use the lockout on commutes too…out of interest do you find you still get a bit of movement of the shock? I run the shock at between 160-170 psi and get around 10mm of travel even locked out …I know most forks and shocks don’t lock out completely but have always wondered if 10mm is too much! Been like that from new though so not too worried about it!

stevede
    Free Member

Mine tops out when locked so moves a little, this has been the same on any shock I’ve had with a fully locked out mode though so nothing to worry about.

maggsy99
    Free Member

thanks for the views guys is 120mm of travel not enough for trail centres etc…

Northwind

120mm is fine for trailcentres, no bother there.

LMT
    Free Member

Im short and lightweight so 120mm travel is fine for me pretty much everywhere.

NormalMan

Sorry for getting to this a bit late but I have had serious manflu to contend with 😉

I had had a ’12 Camber Expert since Sept. Also got mine in the sales with a bit of ‘extra discount’ from my lbs.

What price have you seen it for? I have seen them going from anything £1800 to £1350.

I am very happy with mine, although I haven’t got a ride in this year yet (due to injury!) which is frustrating.

The Expert did the get revisions mentioned in previous posts (tapered HT, beefed up BB and rear end) and I can’t say how much of an improvement they are as I haven’t ridden the other versions but mine doesn’t have any issues with flex at all (I am light but throw the bike around a fair bit).

I like most things about it – perhaps a shorter stem will go on at somepoint. Or if I get carried away I might follow through on my original plan an build my own ‘EVO’ version so add to that dropper post, meatier tyres, etc.

Dislikes – the colour scheme. I MUCH prefer the black/green of the Elite. I found the henge saddle comfy but a tad wide at the nose so swapped for my default Charge Spoon. Jury is still out on the grips.

Also, I found (perhaps this is due to it being my first FS so I was clumsy) but switching the pro-pedal on/off when riding in full finger gloves I also managed to mess with the dial for the rebound too! I have learnt to be more careful now. Although that says more about me than the bike I guess!

With a zee cage and Mg1’s mine comes in at 28lb for a large model.

It’s rating in MBR was also mentioned above but just to add it ended up in their top ten bikes of 2012 too.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Interesting to note feedback on chain suck from some posters. I have a 2011 Camber Pro, running stock cranks, but have had a few instances of it from new and today on a rather muddy ride around Cannock, it was quite problematic. I know there are lots of theories around it, but anyone got any thoughts / experience specific to the Camber?

Other than that, it’s a superb bike – absolutely great at what it does and I’d highly recommend it to anyone.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I demo’d one for a day and thought it a bit if a mondeo.. Essentially nowt wrong with it but just a bit dull IMO.

stevede
    Free Member

In standard form i quite agree, i’ve made mine into a much more fun bike by adding a reverb, better forks (and longer ones so it’s a touch slacker), 740mm renthals, 70mm thomson, hope 521’s, decent tyres – butcher/purgatory, bionicon guide. Don’t race xc but i do like to have fun even on my shorter travel bike. If money permitted a transition bandit would’ve been on the list but my Enduro took the lions share of the budget so a 2nd hand camber was what i could stretch to at the time.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2012 specialized camber expert 26" any good..’ is closed to new replies.