Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • 2010 the year 29er's go mainstream
  • ton

if i was organising a international bike event in 2010, andi wanted a snappy t shirt idea for odd shaped wheel riders, Pushing Back On My 29r, would look good on a t shirt……………… 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

Actually – I could care less if not one more got made or sold. I have my bikes, they are great and that'll do for me. There are so many flat-earthers who ride bikes change is measured on the geological timescale, so it'll be evolution, not revolution.

singlespeedstu

if i was organising a international bike event in 2010

What like SSEC 2010 for example?

It would be a good idea but I have no idea who might be involved in organising it. 8)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Am I on the wrong forum with this thread?
    It's degrading in such a manner & style that it's resembling a BM thread! Now that's not progress.

For those who have yet to witness 29ers, perhaps you're not entering the major events such as MM, SS, there were dozens of them at the Montane 100, Bonty 24, etc etc plus the club race series dotted around the South for sure.

I'm 5:10:5. On-One make 16-18-20-22 inch frames. Mine's an 18 and fits well, so the idea that you need to be a giant is yet more smoke 'n' mirrors from the BM no-sayers.

keavo
    Free Member

i'm in the boat as you tootall. got mine and they are excellent, thats all that matters really.

duntstick
    Free Member

Technical twisty singkletrack, is fun, stick yer borin massive wheel towpath borinness up yer ass!

happy New new Year………..

singlespeedstu

Ti29er.

I think you'll find that a good persentage of posters on this thread own 29ers.
    (some only own 29ers)

And also a sense of humour….

bigsi
    Free Member

Bonesetter – As no one else has done so i claim dibs on the Paradox.

E-mail me and I'll tell you the address to post it to 😉

Whats that? You had your fingers crossed,,,,,, bugger 😥

singlespeedstu

And for dunstick here's a 29er on a boring towpath.

And just to add insult to injury it's rigid and singlespeed.

Happy new year to you too. xxx

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I hate those BM no-sayers.

duntstick
    Free Member

and you sold the fork?

singlespeedstu

Another towpath cruiser.

duntstick
    Free Member

And the last major downhill race win was……………..?

singlespeedstu

? And your point is? 🙄

duntstick
    Free Member

Downhill racing bikes usually win downhill races, when they're a latest innovation megabollox, if they're just a niche fad, for people who want to be different, with too much brass, they'll just pass wearily by…….

peachos
    Free Member

fad

singlespeedstu

And the last major downhill race you won on your 26er was?

There's more to life than fat feckers with 10 inches of travel rolling down a hill.

Oh and while we're on the subject why have the likes of Santa Cruz and Intense started to take an interest in 29ers then? Not to mention Giant and Specialized.

Na your probarbley right it's just a passing fad.

A bit like folks that are new to off road riding….

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

don't give a monkeys bum, they just look wrong imo…

duntstick
    Free Member

And……………breathe……. 🙂

singlespeedstu

Just as I thought then. 🙄

I'm building a 29er at the moment.
    However, as all sorts of rif-raf are now riding them and they are losing their elite niche charm, I am using a Rohloff hub to stay ahead of the pack.

singlespeedstu

, I am using a Rohloff hub to stay ahead of the pack.

Oh my god you're worse than those kiddy wheeler retards. 😉

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I reckon 2010 will be the year that public interest really increases in 29ers, so hopefully 2011 will be the year that companies start bloody importing them.

I had a look at a GF Paragon a couple of weeks ago. Rather than looking wrong (as so many suggest), it really loked right.

TooTall
    Free Member

Yeah – they look stoopid – like not right at all.

🙄

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

On the contrary, a lot of 29" wheeled bikes look more right as there wheels are more in proportion to the big frame.

Tootall, Im getting me one of those in a few weeks 😉

s8tannorm
    Free Member

FFS people … I don't get along with 29ers which might be 'cos I'm a short arse but that doesn't mean I now think they're all crap. I don't own anything with rear suspension but I don't believe full suspension to be the work of the devil.

It's bikes-it's all good and if you want to see something which looks soooo wrong you should see my Carver 😀

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Vote for Rage Against the Machine to keep 29ers off the top spot.

Theres only one way to sort this out………..fight fight fight!

Calm down you lot. Its just a fad for beardies (or those secretly wishing they could grow one).

It'll be 32ers next year or butchers baskets or something.

rOcKeTdOg

think you'll find that a good persentage of posters on this thread own 29ers.

uh oh rumbled!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Theres only one way to sort this out………..fight fight fight!

Oh no – attack of the wee people. Scared.

*imagines being mobbed by hobbits and oompa loompas*

*LAUGHS HEARTILY*

(Duggie – you'll hate it – just so capable and non-barge-like)

keavo
    Free Member

i wish i could grow a beard. otherwise i might be mistaken for rif-raf riding a 29er:-)

mboy
    Free Member

Technical twisty singkletrack, is fun, stick yer borin massive wheel towpath borinness up yer ass!

LOL

A couple of phrases spring to mind… "It's the rider, not the bike" and "A bad workman blames his tools"… 😉

Seriously though, 29ers are good in their own way. I was sceptical, had a go on one (EIASF's Jones actually!) briefly that got me thinking about them… Eventually bought one 2nd hand very cheap, and I like it. It wouldn't be my first choice say if I was going somewhere like Afan, or even the Alps (I have 2 full suspension bikes I'd rather take instead), but that's probably more due to the fact it only has 80mm travel suspension forks and no rear squish than the wheel size.

Anyway, on my 29er I have beaten loads of people on 26" wheeled bikes down technical trails, I have also been passed by loads of people on 26" wheeled bikes on the flat or up a hill. Explain………….. 🙄

I have also seen people do 10ft drops on a 29er with 1.8" wide tyres and skinny rims. I have even seen people with (and you'd never get this!) only one gear on their bike (sometimes with 29" wheels, more normally with 26", one even with 650B!), manage to ride up a hill! 😮

ooOOoo
    Free Member

This thread reminds why I love mountain biking so much – the drama of wheel sizes

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

2010 for 650B 😀

Advantages of bigger wheels but retaining 26" geometry and suspension travel – ergo, they ride faster but handle like 26"

.. It's coming 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

I reckon WCA was on the ball when he turned up at Swinley on a 96er (69er?) fixie.

westkipper
    Free Member

I have to say, if I ever buy another MTB (which isnt looking too likely anytime soon) I'd not be looking at a 26 but I have had thoughts about a 29er with a 650b front wheel (to sharpen and steepen the handling)
    Is this muddying the water too far?

kiwijohn

29ers mainstream? it's getting harder to be niche these days.

TooTall
    Free Member

I have had thoughts about a 29er with a 650b front wheel (to sharpen and steepen the handling)
    Is this muddying the water too far?

Muddying? No.

Utterly pointless? Yup.

westkipper
    Free Member

Why do you say that Too Tall?
    I like the ride of 29ers but find the front end too high/ too slack on every one I've ridden.
    I also notice that the front wheel has a tendency to flop/ get stuck when ridden at slow speeds on rocks and between roots .

rOcKeTdOg

20/24/26/29 it's all just riding innit

bonesetter
    Free Member

I've found all 29er's I've ridden to have too short a head tube putting the bars too low

Most 29er HTA's are too steep (eg 71 Niner Bikes)

luckily we can flip stems, use flat/riser bars blah blah….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘2010 the year 29er's go mainstream’ is closed to new replies.