Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 20" Orange 5's – do they look like gates?
  • jonswhite

Photographic evidence to the contrary appreciated (or maybe not!)

robinbetts
    Free Member

No

Wookster

no not at all…..sorry no pic of mine on this lap top! You can get a demo really easily from orange I’d give them a shout through your dealer.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s a silly question as there are many folk on here who don’t like the look of Fives no matter what size they are. But if it fits, what are you going to do?

A mate of mine rides an XL FSR Stumpy, and he looks like his head is about 9 foot off the ground. But on my bike, he looks like his kness are round his ears.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

worst looking bike on the trails, FACT!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

weve got one in the shop and it look great! you have to look twice to see its big one…in orange.

carbon337
    Free Member

Whos_daddy – I disagree.

Something pretty about its basic lines IMO.

However I am biased :

For reference though this is an 18″

chunkypaul
    Free Member

yep! my 2007 20″ five

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

My opinion only, please don’t shoot me but I think the back end looks like an old Marin. 😕 I’ve never rode one tho & you lot seem to like them.

If I dont like the look of a bike I wouldn’t ride it & I think the Yeti 575 are better looking, thats why I have one of these instead. 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

gate.

does it bother you?

most 20″ frames look a bit odd. you’re tall, you should be used to it by now…

andylux
    Free Member

If you are that tall hows about a 29er full sus if you want to look in more proportion.

The 20″ five may always come in useful if you ever need to keep a pig in a pen.

neil853
    Free Member

yes

j_me
    Free Member

They look exactly the same as they 18 inch frame if they are viewed from 10% further away.

mildred

The newer ones don’t – they look more in proportion to the old ones, which frankly loked silly. Anyway, this thread gives me a chance to post up piccies of my 40th B’day present (not till Dec’ but hey, what can I do?) – 18″ by the way:

Just finished building it up this morning. weighs bang on 30lb on digi’ Tanita scales, which seems ok considering build.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

i don’t think they look like a gate. i think mines a lovley looking thing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mine’s a 16″ & may (to some eyes) look like a small gate, but……….
    Am i bothered??
    no.

**** ME MILDRED, THOSE BARS ARE WIDE!

JohnnyPanic

Mildred, previous bike wasn’t a Scott was it? 🙂

mildred

They’re spank spike 777’s cut down to 750mm. I’m fairly wide at the shoulders myself so suit me well; can be a bit anti-social though when riding in a group.

Jonny, I once had a Scott ransom but that was a few years ago; this has replaced my nicolai helius st, which was too much bike.

JohnnyPanic

Tyres look like the Scott Cougars which came fitted to my 2005 Genius. Man they were skittish in the wet. 🙂

rnewell1973
    Free Member

I think they look smashing. In fact want one if anyone wants to sell one.

Gimme gimme gimme.

mildred

Ah, yes they are cougars. I got them cheap of ebay; took it for a very short spin yesterday and they felt very good. I chucked it into a flat muddy corner and they hooked up nicely, though they probably let go suddenly too!

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

carbon337- how do you get on with that wall mounted work stand?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

carbon337- how do you get on with that wall mounted work stand?

If I may; my set-up is identical – the Park Tool PRS4W is everything I need in a stand. The clamp itself is quick and easy to use and adjust, as is the pinch that allows for rotation of the clamping arm. Zero flex and entirely dependable. Not cheap, but worth every penny – especially if you have several bikes to work on. If I had the space to mount it on a post in the middle of the workshop it would be perfect.

carbon337
    Free Member

fwokinfwok – its three_fishes stand – his whole workshop is ace – however I think he should have a sofa and a fridge in there.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

20″ 2010 Pro model. Very,very pleased with it :-)I’m 6ft 1″ and after a test ride of an 18″ decided on a 20″. Definitely made the correct decision.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘20" Orange 5's – do they look like gates?’ is closed to new replies.