• This topic has 58 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gwurk.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • 20" kids bikes – any good ones or good 'projects'?
  • scotia
    Free Member

im liking that commencal!

will have a think – anyways the season in switz is pretty much over as its cold now…so he’ll grow more and should be ready for this in 2018.. we’ll see.

iain1775
    Free Member

Got my daughter an orbea MX20 for £150 on ebay the other week, immaculate
    She loves it, and I’m quite jealous, it’s a lovely little bike, great matt black/pink/blue/yellow colourscheme (that’s the bit that important to kids)
    The internal cable routing is better than any of my bikes have had, frame is beautifully hydroformed and light
    Even has little bosses on the down tube for a crud catcher type mudguard (yet to find one small enough though) and a nice little CX style chain catcher to stop the chain coming off, cranks, brakes, grips etc are all child sized just like on Isla or Frog
    My daughter got the hang of gears before she even got to the end of the street and finds them light enough to change no problem and I can’t get her off it now
    She had a 16″ Frog before which I sold for £30 less than what we paid new, after over 3 years, so the Orbea ended up costing me £20!

Bike is so nice in fact I would seriously look at orbea for my next bike, if the adult ones are as well thought out they have to be worth a look

Goldigger
    Free Member

sssimon – Member
    That’s how it worked here, showed him the 24 and he thought brilliant its a big version of what I’ve already got and love, the joy of him ready Chris Hoy flying Fergus books is he knows about disc brakes and nice tyres so that’s on the list too!

That’s one of our issues, he knows about disc brakes and suspension.
    He specifically wants both these on his new bike! Particularly suspension as he asked what it does and I said it let’s me go over the bumps faster! If it let’s him go faster he wants!

Have book marked the guy in Poland who distributes the spinner air fork, will drop him an email and if the price is right possible go frame only and build up.

Can we get a 10spd cassette on a kids wheel?
    Assuming kids bikes are 135mm standard and use a compatible freehub?
    If I need to build a set of wheels, any recommendations on rims and hubs?

Looked at those ALIENATION BMX Deviant Rims, strangely says front use only??

BearBack
    Free Member

Most kids frames will be 135 now. My first project build was a NOS Scott nitrous 20 with a 130mm rear spacing. I squeezed a 135 hub in there though.
    Anything below 8 speed will be freewheel…not free hub.
    That deviant rim says front only as BMX bikes tend to only run a rear *rim* brake. Essentially read “front only” as “disc brake” only.
    I have a set of 20″ deviants on 240 hubs. I also built a 16″ aeroheat velocity wheel on slx hubs.. I’d go with whatever your budget allows.

Goldigger
    Free Member

@ Iain1775
    Any chance you could weigh the orbea MX20 please?
    Which one did you get? Team disc looks nice.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Goldigger
    Just bought my lad an MX team (non disc) last week.
    Its bang on 8.5kg on the luggage scales.
    I’ve put a smaller 40mm stem on to reduce the reach.
    I’m really impressed by it tbh.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s good news I was hoping it was no more than 10kg. As it’s lighter even better.

Is there plenty of room for a bigger tyre? Stock is 2.1?
    There’s some kenda 2.6 20″ tyres but think there only OEM.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Yeah would think so, looks like there is plenty of clearance

Goldigger
    Free Member

Came across this Dawes academy last night, has the spinner air forks fitted and weighs 9.4kg
    Normally £500 can be had for £380

I contacted the polish distributor for the spinner air forks, two models available 50/80mm travel €120/€125 delivered, I’m thinking £380 for the above is a good buy.

cookeaa

Commencal sell the 24″ frame for 99 Euro’s

I can’t seem to find the 24″ frame on the commencal site, is it just out of stock or have they stopped selling it?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Went for the orbea team disc, it was cheaper than the commencal.
    Main reasons I went for it are:
    1.Tubeless rims
    2.Cassette is a freehub rather than freewheel screw on, so option to fit a 9spd cassette/shifter out of the parts bin.
    3.Shimano Hydraulic disc brakes rather than cable actuated ones. Read numerous reports that the tektro cable disc brakes are crap.

Will probably chop a carbon bar down and fit that.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Sounds good, my lads been getting on really well with his at mtb club
    I changed the surprisingly heavy slippy small plastic pedeals for
    The below last week (they look 5 weeks to arrive)
    Nice platform size for a 6 year old, light and not as sharp as the normal pins on flats

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272330449321

Goldigger
    Free Member

I was just looking at those Wellgo KC001 and 008 this morning.
    Will have to get the 001 as the 008 only available in white!

TiRed

Used Trek MT60 if you can find one. Asexual silve and white, double drilled cranks and adjustable stem. They tend to get handed down. First alloy 20 inch frame. Kona hula is another good bet.

qwerty
    Free Member
    Goldigger
    Free Member

Here my lads orbea team disc mx20

Only thing I don’t like on it is what appears to be a long cage rear derailleur.
    Is there a short cage 9spd derailleur that I could replace it with?.. something like the Zee 10spd.

That cage is great at picking up sticks and all sorts and jamming up the jockey wheels.

gwurk
    Free Member

older 105

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘20" kids bikes – any good ones or good 'projects'?’ is closed to new replies.