Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2 British Legends Gone -RIP Capt Eric Brown RN and David Duffield
  • Riksbar

Both lived enough for 10 people.

Harry_the_Spider

Eric Brown was as amazing man.

RIP

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe5ul37Q7g[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

First heard of Captain Eric Brown by accidentaly tuning in to Desert Island Discs

Remarkable man to listen to. Desert Island Disc’s isn’t my thing but this is special, and well worth taking the time to listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvgq1

whitestone
    Free Member

I believe an American pilot attempted to beat Eric Brown’s record of carrier landings and after getting about halfway gave up because of nerves, he was “frazzled”. They were definitely made of sterner stuff.

Defender
    Free Member

Yes, a very sad day indeed, to loose two men who were both exceptional in their own field.
    Sadly I never met Captain Brown, I’ve seen him on TV, he was a very brave and skill pilot, one of the very best.
    I did meet David Duffield a few years ago, nice man, very knowledgeable and far sighted in the world of cycling, and not afraid to speak his mind.

RIP.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m almost thankful that people like Winkle don’t really exist any more.

We’re in a world where, luckily, we don’t need so many people to have such astonishing lives.

Glass raised.

jobro
    Free Member

We’re in a world where, luckily, we don’t need so many people to have such astonishing lives

Sorry Flash. Really disagree with that.

We will always need people like that. Even more so in this shallow, media celebrity obsessed world.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see your point. Was meaning that we’re not in that maelstrom of a world war. In that environment, we needed so many people like him.

jimw
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to meet Eric Brown twice and talk to him briefly. On both occasions he was charming and charismatic. A real gentleman.

P20

The BBC documentary on Eric Brown is superb. A true legend

tonyja
    Free Member

Its been a very sad day for us today with the loss of the great David Duffield. Just been going through his old sayings again at the original Duffieldisms page. Eurosport fans of old may want to reminisce some of his classics.

“It’s a bit dark over Bill’s mother’s”
    Rest in peace friend.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

On a related note I’m currently about 80% of the way through reading ‘The Big Show’ by Pierre Clostermann (Frenchman who flew for RAF during WW2). I’ve read loads and loads of aviation history books over the years but this is quite possibly the most engrossing read of them all.

His detailed accounts of flying from late 1942 – 1945 on Spitfire V / VII (Strato-Spits) / IX, Typhoon IIB, Tempest V and comparisons against Focke Wulf 190A8 / 190D9 / TA152 / Messerschmitt BF109G / K / Me262 is really fascinating and honest. It’s also made me completely reassess the many read views in the past about the waning of the Luftwaffe in France and Germany from Summer 1944 – Spring 1945. Judging by the extremely high number of RAF losses versus the crack 15-20% 109 / 190 pilots I’d say the air war over France, Belgium, Holland and Germany during that period was at least equally as important and deadly as the Battle of Britain.

Also pretty cringeworthy reading his reported hatred for US P47’s and P51’s on the basis of their trigger happy nature and the fact they had form for shooting down a decent number of RAF Spitfires, Typhoons and a selection of Tempests! :-O

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2 British Legends Gone -RIP Capt Eric Brown RN and David Duffield’ is closed to new replies.