Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • 2 big days riding from London
  • alansd1980

Think I have managed to secure a 2 day pass and fancy doing a couple of epic days. Can use either ht or cx bike but long days in the saddle are not a problem, Fancy some proper big hills and a bit of remoteness. A nights B and B preferable to keep things light but would look into bike packing if it was called for. Will be end of May and have decent lights so daylight isn’t a problem.

will take the train from London, ideally leaving early on day 1 and returning late on day 2

Thought about the transcambrian way but the time to get to the start and finish is too much
    Coast to Coast in 2 days I have been told is a no go

Any ideas?

Cheezpleez

Evening train to Oxenholme, camp at the pub campsite there then two days in the Lakes (lots of options). It’s only just over 2 hours on the train, not like the nightmare of getting to the TCW.

mtbtom
    Free Member

* watches thread with interest*

I think Hope Valley is a similar distance by train.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Garry_Lager

Caledonian sleeper to Aviemore Friday night. Bring a bag and drop it off at a B&B Sat morning. Go large Sat and Sun in the Cairngorms, return Sun night.

If you’re happy bike packing / bothy stop then far more flexibility – you could do a ride that they’ll sing songs about. [e.g. up to Aviemore, return Fort Bill].

alansd1980

Thought about the lakes but I found out last year that I was way beyond my abilities and that of my short travel xc bike when riding with some of the locals.

Will need to investigate some more xc type riding up there than the “cheeky” ridding up the fells that I only just survived!

The peaks is totally new to me…..

benp1

Ridgeway/Icknield Way

South Downs way?

Towpath to Birmingham?

martinhutch

Thought about the lakes but I found out last year that I was way beyond my abilities and that of my short travel xc bike when riding with some of the locals.

Will need to investigate some more xc type riding up there than the “cheeky” ridding up the fells that I only just survived!

Now’s your chance. There is stacks within reach of Oxenholme which is entirely suitable for my meagre skills and shortish travel hardtail. Plenty of folk on here would recommend you a 2-dayer which won’t scare the pants off you.

A long ride out in the Dales would be possible by train also, perhaps starting and finishing at a different station?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Hi Al,

I remember a few years back there was a route in MBR that looked like good fun. It was basically an off-road lap of the M25.

Now I know that sounds sh*te but just think about the trails that we ride from LOMAC that take us out across and alongside the M25 e.g. Reigate Hill etc. there’s some great riding out there. The route had somehow linked them all together.

I can’t recall the exact details nor the distance (I might have the torn out map/high level directions from the mag somewhere in my garage though) but it’s perhaps a ‘different’ challenge to one you might have been thinking of.

It’s just an idea. Let me know what you decide on and I could be up for joining you.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

or how about Brighton and back off-road?

You and I have ridden there a couple of times now and know it’s an epic day out. How about arranging an overnight stop in Brighton and back the next day via the same/similar route?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah I’d day get a tain to Eastbourne and then ride the South Downs way. There are 4 or 5 different stations that’ll take you back to London so you can vary it as much as you like, or just bang it all the way to Winchester and come back from there. It’s a 100 miles long, loads of up and down, I’d say more HT than CX myself (I’m sure that opinions will vary!!)

shermer75
    Free Member

Also worth checking the prevailing wind before you go! There is ALWAYS a wind, so maybe worth heading east from Winchester instead…

STATO
    Free Member

2 big days riding in a direction away from London should certainly get you to one of the nice parts of the country, or have i miss-understood.. 😆

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What about… start off with the London to Brighton off road, but turn West when you get to the South Downs Way. Cycle along the SDW leave at Queen Elizabeth Country Park, drop down to Hayling Island via Havant and cycle along the old railway, small ferry hop (5 minutes?) to Portsea island (Portsmouth) then another ferry to Isle of Wight, do a big loop around there and then get back to the ferry back to Southampton for a fast train to London.

You could make it longer by heading out to the North Downs from South-East London via Crystal Palace/Whyteleaf area, there’s a nice traffic free NCN route.

Painey
    Free Member

Also worth checking the prevailing wind before you go! There is ALWAYS a wind, so maybe worth heading east from Winchester instead…

Very true. Did 50 miles yesterday, partly along the SDW and it was pretty much into a cold headwind all the way. Literally becomes a hell of a drag after a while.

Perfect terrain for either a HT or the CX bike and if it’s hills you want then there’s no end to them along there.

richardthird

With a similar pass I’m going to ride the L-B off road and then the best third of the SDW to Eastbourne after that.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m going to ride the L-B off road and then the best third of the SDW to Eastbourne

I’ve done that from Woldingham Surrey, NDW > Downslink > SDW. Downslink is boring old railway track. I’d rather go to Peaks or Wales, Afan and Brecons.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

With a similar pass I’m going to ride the L-B off road and then the best third of the SDW to Eastbourne after that.

me n Al already did that a couple of years ago. Tackled it in one day though. Great experience

18:58 somewhere en route

20:51, still on SDW

22:04, rockin’ up to Eastbourne station after 14 hours in the saddle

jekkyl

I’d be tempted to look at the Peaks, get the train to the somewhere in the south, Matlock? and cycle right through the middle over 2 days and ending somewhere like Glossop or Penistone, both of which have a station in. Right through the peaks you will never be that far from a village for eating and B&Bs or you could probably find a place to bivvi very easily. I’m pretty sure you could work out a route that is over 80/90% off road, plenty of hills, plenty of decent mtb tracks, plenty of cafes and pubs.

samcheese
    Free Member

Day 1: Train to Cardiff, then change for local shunter to Merthyr. Do the Beacons Gap Ride (or some variant thereof). Go on the lash.

Day 2: Join the Sarn Helen somewhere near Brecon / Libanus and it’s 90% off road to Neath. Train back to London.

If Day 1 hasn’t destroyed your CX bike, Day 2 will.

allyharp

As mentioned, Sleeper train is an option, but it’s pretty pricey so I’ve always found it preferable to take extra time off work and make the most of it – hence why I have a 3 night loop from Aviemore in the diary for April.

Another idea could be the Isle of Purbeck. It’s not the biggest area but I was very impressed with the scenery and the variety of riding on offer. I used part of my 2 days to head across by road to Lulworth Cove for the night, but with some more planning you might be able to do that offroad.

alansd1980

Thanks for all the ideas. Like Richard (mtb idle) said we have done London to Brighton off road twice now and london to Eastbourne once. It’s actually become an annual event.

Fancy something a bit different so will look into the suggestions if oxenholme, the dales and the brecons.

Richard when I get an idea of ride and dates I will post it up over on your place!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

nice one Alan.

How about extending a day and riding to Paris? You know Greg the Saffer cyclist? He did L2P solo late last year and I’m planning on doing it with him early this summer, just the two of us, under the radar.

Its road rather than MTB but it’s three days riding, he knows the route – sorted!

alansd1980

Rich with the new baby and a toddler I am pushing my luck as it is…..

I got a begrudging yeah I suppose so when said what my plans were. Am going to take the Friday off work, leave home just after breakfast go somewhere ride till late Friday up early Saturday ride all day and home late Saturday evening so I can help Sunday morning.

Just browsing now, hmmm that Paris idea is not too bad, not sure how manageable it is in my timeframe though.

Just really fancy a couple of monster rides and I like the journey as much as going to a trail centre and smashing out few circuits.

Paris though…… My dates are the 29th and 30th of May by the way.

peekay

MTB-Idle. If you are able to find the M25 MTB route I would be interested in taking a look.
    I have been thinking about a ride round the M25 for a while now, there are a few blogs and Strava traces from doing it on a road bike and on foot, but haven’t been able to find any previously completed off road routes. Although I reckon I could put a route together it would be good to see the magazine article.
    I fancy giving it a go one weekend in the summer. Starting jct 8/7. Let me know if interested.

sarpullido
    Free Member

I’d like to do Cwmcarn to Afan route. It links both trail centres.
    144km and 5000 metres of climbing.
    http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=A5351BB47D9B81B472CBCDBC8D0B9449?fileId=dnuhbvduxkcbqmky

Last weekend I did London to Brighton off road and back on National cycle routes 20 and 21. It took me 16 hours including stops. Not many hills, though.
    275km and 2300 metres climbing

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

peekay wrote:
    MTB-Idle. If you are able to find the M25 MTB route I would be interested…<snip>

Okey dokes, will send a reminder to myself to check the garage this evening!

richardthird

Sarpullido, which route did you prefer and what bike please?

Think it’ll be too flat for my ss with the gearing I’ll need for the SDW bit after.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d like that gpx file if you’do be sooo kind ^^ 😉

sarpullido
    Free Member

Sarpullido, which route did you prefer and what bike please?

Think it’ll be too flat for my ss with the gearing I’ll need for the SDW bit after.

I haven’t done the one in Wales. Went there a few weeks ago with a dodgy rear hub and once there it died having to hire a bike for the rest of the trip. I’m riding a Lynskey 650 pro rigid forks and 32 x 18 ss with oval front ring.

I’d like that gpx file if you’do be sooo kind ^^

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4276153
    http://www.strava.com/activities/272653480

senorj

OP – How about Bath/Swindon to London – come back along Ridgeway/Chilterns.Options to come into town on the Grand Union canal.
    That’d be lovely on a fine weekend with a helpful prevailing wind…

Also snaffling the sarpulilido’s route….ta.

bikebouy
    Free Member

@Sarp’.. many thanks for that. Many thanks indeed.

I’ll be Hacking on with that one !

😀

richardthird

Lynskey 650 pro rigid forks and 32 x 18 ss with oval front ring.

Did you use that for the LBL off road? Similar to what I have. That’s the route I was asking about, which (sustrans) route did you prefer, the down or up please.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

peekay wrote:
    MTB-Idle. If you are able to find the M25 MTB route I would be interested…<snip>
    Okey dokes, will send a reminder to myself to check the garage this evening!

Garage checked – numerous other MBR glossy route cards found but not this one – soz 😥

bianchiboy
    Free Member

There is a book on the subject/route…..

Routes

annebr
    Free Member

Googling Off road bicycle ride around M25

found these though they are not off road

http://shupillinger.info/london-orbital-2014/
    http://www.jameshouston.com/around-the-m25-in-a-day-on-my-brompton/

benp1

I’ve ordered that book, it looks good

sarpullido
    Free Member

@Sarp’.. many thanks for that. Many thanks indeed.

I’ll be Hacking on with that one !

Thanks bikebuoy. Just don’t mess up at 199km point as I did 😳

Lynskey 650 pro rigid forks and 32 x 18 ss with oval front ring.
    Did you use that for the LBL off road? Similar to what I have. That’s the route I was asking about, which (sustrans) route did you prefer, the down or up please.

Yes, I rode all the route (275km) on that bicycle. I’m not sure which way liked more. I expected more cycle lanes only route on the way back but found more pleasant gravel off road bits. For the last 4 hours it was dark and zero traffic. I liked that too

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Brecons?

Towpath to Birmingham?

💡

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

just as an update to this thread.

Alan (OP) and I have roped in one other rider we know and decided to tackle London to Paris in 24 hours.

So it’s a self-organised, unsupported trip with just the three of us and the itinerary goes something like this:

• Leave Ewell/Cheam (South-Western edge of Greater London) Friday evening and ride circa 60 miles to Newhaven on the South coast
    • Catch the 00:30 ferry from Newhaven and catch some zzz’s
    • Ferry docks in Dieppe, France at 05:30 Saturday morning (local time – four hour ferry crossing)
    • Ride the 190km to Paris following mainly the Avenue Vert
    • Average 15mph pace should see us arrive in Paris late afternoon in time for some celebratory beers
    • Make way to Eurostar terminus @ Gare du Nord
    • Catch the 20:10 Eurostar back to London
    • Arrive St Pancras, London circa 22:00 Saturday night and make our way home

Ferry and Eurostar booked for 22/23rd May i.e. Bank holiday weekend.

Wish us luck!

benp1

Blimey, that’s a monster trip. Good luck!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘2 big days riding from London’ is closed to new replies.