Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1×9, 1×10, 2×9, ????
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just bought a Pronghorn LT frame with 6 inches of travel front and rear which I am planning to use as my main bike. This means that unlike my SS 96er and jump bike I will need gears.

I have transferred across most of the kit from my old Scott Strike which was set up mainly for XC using triple front ring and 9 speed rear block. The front triple is fairly worn and needs replacing. The front mech on the Scott was an e-type so not transferable.

I have the choice of replacing the front with a single, double or triple ring. The rear block is currently 9 speed but could be replaced with a 10 if required.

This gives me all the options. Most of the riding is local and not that challenging in terms of up hills but I also want to be able to ride to the top of the South Welsh trail centres and scream down like a hero.

Recommend configuration and kit please.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

1×10 and a 11-36 with a narrow/wide and (not that you need one) a clutch mech.

campkoala
    Free Member

would have thought a seasoned SSer would have no trouble getting to the top of a welsh trail centre on 1×9. I know I can get round any trail centre on 36/28 on my 2×8, only need the 22T ring for natural/longer rides. (i’m no SS whippet, more of an old greman shepard who’s had a few too many treats)

if you’re struggling, fit a 34T ring, you won’t spin out 34/11 at a trail centre unless you take the fireroad and NEED cake quick.

switching to 10speed will require a lot of new parts, going to single ring up front will require a chain device and possibly a new ring at most

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

What Reggie said
    Fine for all hills big or small in South Wales

richen987
    Free Member

Come in wca, you no you need XX1 to compete around lordswood !
    But failing that 1×10 with 11-36 in the back will be more than enough for your needs here and abroad (wales) 😀

danielgroves
    Free Member

1×10 and a 11-36 with a narrow/wide and (not that you need one) a clutch mech.

This, accept I’d opt for a hope top guide instead. Very minimal guide, but means you can run a standard chaining instead, thus is cheap in the long run.

Of course, it doesn’t have to be a hope guide, but they’re pretty.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1×9, 1×10, 2×9, ????’ is closed to new replies.