Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1.5inch frames…
  • alistairglover
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I am looking for a frame with a 1.5inch headtube…I really wanted a nicolai but there prices have gone up and I may not be able to afford the Argon FR that I was so wanting….Can the massive let me kow of any other manufacturers that would equip with a 1.5inch headtube? probs looking at Hardtail, but if a full-sus weas reasonably priced, I would consider..

Cheers in advance.

Al Glover

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Too general to bother with. Style of bike and budget?

Northwind

Not so many hardtails but there’s a few… Ragley Mmmbop, quite a few Cannondales (anything that ever came with a lefty attached will have a coke can for a headtube IIRC).

Full suss, have a look for a Cotic Hemlock, they’re great bikes but also can be found for silly low prices sometimes. Just make sure it’s got the upgraded chainstays and you’re sorted.

alistairglover
    Free Member

Riding is general trail riding..nothing mad…XC and all mountain. Budget is around 800, Reason I was generl with the info is that am open to any options as I couldn’t find anything to speak of…

Northwind, cheers mate, will have a look at those options, cheers for posting…

Any other manufacturer’s considered…Cheers

Al

z1ppy

I only have experience of C’dale full-susser (2 of them), but their headtube could never be called “tin-can” like, seems a very strange comment & 1st time I’ve ever heard it.

Another option would be the Nukeproof Mega with it’s 44mm headtube will fit a 1.5 steerer fork.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think the ‘coke can’ comment is more due to the almost coke can size of the head tube rather than any slur on them being flimsy….

z1ppy

h’ok, makes a lot more sense 😳

(and I worked for a tin can manufacturer, so it made little sense to me)

Northwind

Yup, exactly.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cannondale prophet or gemini. Orange Patriot 7+, think morewood did a few aswell

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My Mongoose Khyber has a 1.5″ headtube but I don’t think they do them any more.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo, well my 2010 one did. There was some great offers n them. Note I have just changed to a Nicolai Helius AM and after a CCDB and a good bit of messing round it is better, but the Titus was not much behind. iMO.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

you can run 1.5 forks on semi-integrated head tubes now too, using the 44mm cups from nukeproof.

alistairglover
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the thoughts…
    I have ridden Cannondale full-suss, and whilst I like the build, I dont like their suspension type…I am a fan of the 4-bar, Gemini is too heavy for what I would be doing.I cant stand the looks of the orange full-sus either…but again, thanks for the comments. Jonah…the integrated headset route may be worth a nosey into cheers for that..

Cheers again folks…still really want that Nicolai!!! LOL

messiah
    Free Member

Speak to Richard at Gravity Sports about your Nicolai requirement, he tends to know about these things 😉

http://www.gravity-sports.co.uk/

He helped me get mine at a good price, and while I waited for the frame I picked up all the other bits cheap… scary cheap for some of them.

You mentioned the Argon FR… which is a hardtail, I guess you meant Helius FR or AM… like mine.

Both my bikes have 1.5″ Headtube.

So I can swap the forks about (both are also 31.6″ Seatpost too which is a bonus).

Lovely bikes…

mysterymove
    Free Member

I’ve got an Intense 6.6 frame for sale with a 1.5 head tube £500 + postage (sorry shameless plug – i’ll get my coat!)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Any reason for the 1.5″ requirement?

alistairglover
    Free Member

Thanks again guys,
    Messiah,
    Thanks for the pics, your Nicolai is lovely, but I did mean the Argon…I would dearly love a Helius, I had one before and adored it, but cant stretch that far…So need to cut back to basics and look at the Argon. The Ragly is an interesting bike..how does it ride? Have to say without the equipment, the frame looked a little odd, but seeing the built up bike it’s no too bad..
    the requirement for the 1.5in headtube is that I had a really good price on a set of fox forks, but they were 1.5, which wasnt an issue a I really wanted a nicolai and knew I could get the right size headtube…but noticing the price has gone up mean I might not be able to afford it now…hence the Q…Maybe the gods will shine on me and give me a windfall…I love the Nicolai…

messiah
    Free Member

Hi Alistair, I nearly bought a second hand Argon FR six+ months back but bought an Mmmbop instead… which morphed into the Troof. I just wasn’t sure about the angles on an older Argon FR with the forks I planned to fit. The Mmmbop was cheap and it was an experiment I’m very glad I carried out as I don’t think I would have got on with the Argon… and it would have cost so much even second hand that I would have been reluctant to change it in the way I did with the Mmmbop.

What exact Fox fork is it you have and whats the travel? This makes all the difference as to what frame will take it and not ride like a total dog.

I’d still love an Argon FR but I would be wanting custom geometry from what I have learned from the bop and Troof…

I really must get some better pictures of the Troof – it’s not a bad looking bike, and it rides brilliantly (for the way I ride etc etc).

donks
    Free Member

The new kinesis decade frames have a 1.5″ head tube on them. But they’re not as aggressive as things like the Troof though.

alistairglover
    Free Member

Messiah,
    Byt the looks of things I got exactly the same as you…Fox 150mm Floats. I have spoken with Mike at Nicolai and know that the height of the 150’s is at the upper limit of the Argon, but it is still do-able…I may have a look at the Troof though..how does it ridE? the front end looks fairly high and angles slack…Not dissing your ride of course, it looks good…Loadsa clearance…If you can stick up some more images that would e great….

Cheers again

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1.5inch frames…’ is closed to new replies.