Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 14th July. Do or Die London to Manchester Bike Ride
  • monksie
    Free Member

Just over a week to go. I promised not to spam the forum three months ago when I was sat, bored at my work desk and I dreamed up this silly thing to do and I’d like to think I haven’t. The generosity people have shown in donating, helping, taking the mick etc. has been mint.
    The pedantic, over officious, bureaucratics haven’t but I’ll not dwell.
    Now, £750 raised. Thank you everybody.
    Two brand new road bikes thanks to my ace and lovely wife (Cannondale Supersix) and Cycle Scheme and Jon at http://www.bicyclesmithy.co.uk/ (Kenesis T2) to chose from to ride on.
    A couple of routes are taking shape. A few people have put their hand up to join in for part of the route and I’m being guided out of London as far as Luton which is a massive relief.
    If anybody would like to join in at any point during the day, I’ll be texting my wife on an hourly basis and she will be updating twitter @stannsbigbike with progress. It will be lovely to have some company. Aiming for a 15 mph average so doable for anybody.
    Anyway, as this will be the second to last thread that I start about this (the last will be results of the prize draw on Monday 16th July – apologies if I’ve not sent ticket numbers out, the hospice are dealing with that aspect of it. Everybody has numbers so if you’ve donated, you’re in), here’s one last nudge to the sponsorship page should you feel inclined.
    Thank you very much.
    http://www.justgiving.com/stannsbigbikeride

Bunnyhop

How are you feeling Monksie?
    I saw on another thread that you weren’t well.

crazy-legs

What’s your route into Manchester and your ETA? I’ll join you for the run in to Manc from somehere Peaks-ish if you can give me an idea of your route.

monksie
    Free Member

Always something Jane. I’ll be fine. A bit stingy but they’re already clearing up. Thank you for your concern.
    James. You shall have email.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You’ll be more than fine buddy! I’ve heard it’s a strong south, south westerly forecast, downhill all the way and traffic free roads from Luton north. We’re thinking of you, willing you on and I really look forward to hearing how it goes. Allez, allez! 😉

wors

Best of luck pal. I recently did Edinburgh to Bolton 202 miles in total, in a horrific headwind. Managed 15 mph average. Just remember to get off the bike every 3 or 4 hours to stretch the legs, and eat plenty

crowbar
    Free Member

I did the Roses C2C last Sat and found the Latitude app very usefull. They can see your position on Google maps, it’s then easier to work out a time to meet you.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I don’t have an iphone. I’ll see what I can come up with before next weekend.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m coming, hopefully, and will join you for the last leg into Manchester from wherever.

I think you need to plan a route out and get it up on here with approximate timings so folk can throw pies or other foodstuffs at you on the way back to civilisation.

😀 😀 😀

IHN

Pedal Forrest! Go on son 🙂

Come on folks, sponsor the mad bastard.

crikey
    Free Member

You can even text a quid to the cause now.

Just text the code:
    IUIC87
    then the amount
    £1
    to telephone number: 70070
    or if you want to donate more, chnage the £1 for what ever figure you like. Then email him your details for your prize ticket.

nbt

Thanks guys. I don’t have an iphone. I’ll see what I can come up with before next weekend.

I’ll ask around and see if any mates have a smartphone you could borrow

monksie
    Free Member

Nicky has one but as I’ve drowned three in the last 12 months, she’s more than reluctant to let me near it.
    Are you still coming out for the ride back from somewhere reasonable?

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve only just seen Wors’ post. Well done Sir!
    Any headwind on the 14th and I’m on the train.
    Actually, Jon from Bicycle Smithy has volunteered to do 70 miles as a windbreak. What a man!

monksie
    Free Member

One week to go. The route is sorted. East London to Luton, A5 to Hinckley, cut across to Leicester, A6 to Longsight and straight through Belle Vue, past the Home Of The Champions and turn right for Manchester Velodrome.
    Crikey and Fatboyjon are joining in at Midlands’ish. Two lovely guys from London are dragging me up as far as Luton. A few more are hopefully joining in a little nearer Buxton and my neighbour is doing the last 10 miles with us (he’s new to riding 🙂 ).
    Anymore?
    Now. Time for the gloves to come off. Probably not the right way to do it but with one week to go and £200 to raise to get to the target….
    If you or anybody aged 14 years or older that you care about reside in the South Manchester and Stockport area, you may very well, as sad as it is NEED the services of St Ann’s Hospice. Without going in to too much detail (lets keep it nice), these people do stuff at the worst possible time ever and you’d be absolutely desperate without them
    They, like all hospices, are wholly, completely and absolutely a charity! No donations, no hospice.
    I need to raise £1000 in total to buy a medical double bed. It will make an absolute world of difference for the young family, the married for 50 years couple……..
    [/b]Please send some money. Just a quid from 200 people would do. I’ll shut up then[/b]
    Thank you. Going for a training ride now. Enjoy your bikes.

monksie
    Free Member

Only 5 more sleeps…..
    Please send a quid or two to the cause. I’ll feel like a failure if I don’t get to £1000:00. You could win something lovely

http://www.justgiving.com/stannsbigbikeride

General timings are:
    London 6:00am
    Luton 8:00am
    Milton Keynes 10:00am
    Somwhere else (I can’t remember) 12:00 noon
    Leicester 2:00pm
    Derby 4:00pm
    Buxton 6:00pm (it’s a bit hilly in between Derby and Buxton)
    Manchester 7:30pm
    Bed: 8:00pm
    Lots of people joining in and dropping out along the way. Feel free nay PLEASE come along for a bit and a few people at Manchester at the end for a glass of bubbly. Again, all are welcome for a glass or two.
    Oh yes, forgot to say. Mostly A5 to Leicester and then A6 all the way to Manchester.

nbt

We’re out during the day so won’t be able to join you mate but hope the day goes well.

monksie
    Free Member

No worries. Have a nice day whatever you’re up to.

I sent an email to your work(?) email James. No reply so I assumed you haven’t got it or are you not bothering?
    I’m just trying to keep a track on who I need to be looking out for on the day, at which point.

ourmaninthenorth

Best of luck Steve. It’s a great thing you’re doing.

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you very much Tom.
    Is Manchester too far south for you to get to these days? It’d be lovely to see you again.

mcobie
    Free Member

If you’re passing anywhere near to Northampton let me know and I’ll try to join you for a bit (you never know, I might work it so as the club run joins your route 😉 )

Watty

Good luck Stevie, I assume you’ve got somewhere to stay in London?

ourmaninthenorth

Is Manchester too far south for you to get to these days? It’d be lovely to see you again.

On the 14th, yes, as we’re otherwise engaged.

Really hope it goes well. We did a similar thing with work last Sept, only we did it via a v meandering route and it took 3 days. A single day is proper hardman stuff – you’ll be well suited to it.

Oh, and make sure Mrs Monksie is ready with whatever foodstuff you will have been dreaming about for the previous 8 hours…. 😉

crazy-legs

Steve, I’m riding with NBT in the morning/during the day, however I shall ensure I get home by 4.30pm and will then head down to Buxton. I would suggest against riding the A6 from Buxton, I’d do Long Hill instead which is a far more pleasant road – short climb to the summit then a 4 mile descent into Whaley Bridge.

Long Hill starts HERE and I’ll meet you at the foot of it at 6pm or whenever you get there.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks again everybody.
    Mcobie. That would have been mint! Sadly the route north of London is mainly on the A5 as others have already made arrangements to pedal along for a bit with me.
    Steve! Where’ve you been? I’ve mananged to get a room for the night although thanks to bobbins bikes on trains policy, I leave Stockport on Friday at 18:50 and get to London not much before midnight.
    I’ve put in an order for Custard Creams Tom. She’s meeting me with the St. Ann’s photo person in a minibus near Hinckley. It’ll be hard not throwing the bike in the back and getting a lift home. I’m really starting to panic now :-).
    Sounds like a plan James. Shall I email you my mobile number so that we can make sure of timings on the day? My neighbour is coming out to meet us at Buxton as well.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Having paid £10 to see a pic of some blokes nipple I thought your effort was worth a little more. Donation made, good luck.

Bunnyhop

I’m going to ask crazy legs to let us know what time you may be passing the Hazel Grove (Bicycle Smithy) end of the A6, then we can cheer you on.

How’re you doing on the donation front?

monksie
    Free Member

Hahaha RB. A man’s nipple for a £10? What the hell? Thanks loads for the dontaion, 10 tickets have been allocated to you.

The welcome back committee is assembling at the velodrome at 7:00pm Jane so…..should be passing by the shop (that has my new bike hanging up in it) around 6;15 to 6;30 I would have thought. It’d be ace to see you both. At the velodrome as well? You’ll probably get to see me cry 🙂

Over £800 now. Brilliant stuff. Thanks everybody.

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you to everybody. Nearly hitting the £1000 target needed to buy the bed for the family room. Every single penny donated is going to pay for it. Not one bit of it on admin, or anything. Thanks again everybody.
    Things are getting very busy now so this little spate of updates (a few threads on here and a couple of other forums are kicking around) will probably be the last untiol the ride is finsihed and the proze draw has taken place.
    It looks like Twitter @stannsbigbike will be updated regularly during the day with locations and times if anybody would like to join in. Apart from a tow out of London until I get to East Mids. I’m on my own apart from JamesO.
    It would be great to have some more sporadic company during the day. I’m trying not to cheat as it was promoted as a solo ride and if you’re near to Manchester, it would be ace to see you at the Velodrome. We should be there around 7:00pm to 7:30pm.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Steve
    https://www.justgiving.com/account/your-pages/stannsbigbikeride

mcobie
    Free Member

No worries at all (after the club run I’ll head out A5 way; if fate has it I’ll see you – good luck!!

crazy-legs

UPDATE: I rode out to Buxton, met Monksie and co more or less bang on their estimated time, rode over Long Hill and they’ve just gone through New Mills heading towards Hazel Grove – I left them in New Mills and came home.

ETA at the velodrome about 7.45.
    Monksie looks a bit wrecked and going up hill is getting progressively harder for him but hats off for one hell of a ride – especially into that persistent headwind.

Bunnyhop

Keep going Monksie.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘14th July. Do or Die London to Manchester Bike Ride’ is closed to new replies.