Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 135mm front hubs, what's out there?
  • tazzymtb

collective STW “wisdom” needed. Other than the rarer than rocking horsey poo jones hub the pil wood custom thing and pauls Whub, what else is out there that will fit a 135 fork with the front offset of a jones rather than the rear hub offset of things like surly and salsa forks.

seriously struggling to find anythin at the moment. Failing that I may have to have a chat to a couple of local component makers and see if they can make me one.

god-damn niche tat 🙁

singlespeedstu

Tazz.

Get a surly hub then get the axle turned down from 10mm to 9mm so it’ll fit the Jones fork.

If you struggle to get it turned down I can get it done for you.

tazzymtb

cheers stu you truly are kingfat 😉

If goldtec can’t make me something lovely I’ll take you up on the offer of assistance with mangling a surly hub 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

fatback hubs fit as well. nice and shiny too

part 2 by SoFaKiNg., on Flickr

tazzymtb

oooooooooo nice, that would go lovely with my polished phil rear how much was that with import and ting?

sofaking
    Free Member

not sure as it was part of a full build which I got bum attacked on 🙁

clicky me to get fat

tazzymtb

sofaking- dear sweet jeebus 😯

sofaking
    Free Member

quality doesnt come cheap 😉

tazzymtb

yey- some wonderful metal fettling monkeys are going to make me a custom front hub!

It’ll be lighter than a light thing, shiny and lovely.

They may also look at having something to do with making more fat bike stuff in the UK so bootiful kit made locally for cheaper than american imports gets my vote

RESULT

jameso

Nice one.. is it worth getting a small batch made at the same time? I’d have one. No need for it at the mo, but will have one day. UK made is what I prefer but when I asked them, Hope weren’t interested / were more commercially aware )

tazzymtb

shaggy looks like they’re getting their fat on, and talking to sandman again and fatback about building hubs for them and being a uk distributor.

I think it helps that I can walk in with silly ideas and convince them that I want something daft making. (they are making lots of eliptical rings for the SS mob at the moment) 😀

jameso they may well do a batch email kev@betd.co.uk and take my name in vain and you may be able to sneak in with my custom jobbo.

they’re going to take my weinmann rim and cnc the chuff out of as well to see how much weight they can get out of it for me

tang
    Free Member

Taz mail me re the bars if still available. Cheers!

tazzymtb

ooo yep sorry tang forgot 😳

jameso

Is he the guy to mail about the rings too? Had a look on the site but didn’t see anything. Cheers.

tazzymtb

yes he his jameso, they’re a new (as in due in next couple of weeks for release to the public all anodised and lovely apparently) niche item so not on the website yet.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

How much would a betd 135mm hub cost?
    I may be in the market for one very soon.

tazzymtb

email that kev blokey and he’ll sort you something, but they will be a lot cheaper than importing a WHUB or a Jones hub, especially if they get a few requests as they can CNC it rather than custom hand machining, like mine is going to be.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

But will they be cheaper than the £70 Surly hubs?
    http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=HUSURD6K

jameso

Thanks, will mail him over the weekend.

tazzymtb

will they be cheaper than a surly? probably not, but then they will be a properly spaced 135 front hub with a 9mm QR for jones forks, and things like the new white bros snow fork, rather than having bodge a cheapo heavy bolt up axle effort.

I already have some very pimpy goldtec hubs and they are blinkin ace, so I’m more than happy to have some well engineered UK niche on my bike 😀

jameso

JC, do you have 9mm forks or 10mm? I’m presuming the BETDs are front disc / 9mm combo. (edit, tazzy just answered that ^, thanks)

If you or anyone else’s after a plain silver screw-on or cassette disc rear for front use I have a couple of good quality Q-Lite sample hubs (bolt or qr compatible end caps rather than nutted axles) I would px / trade 1 for a wide rim. Probably same supplier as the surlys.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

just found this thread — anyone know of a centre lock 135 mm front hub? Not sure they are out there; don’t seem to be anyway.

tazzymtb

I’m sure if you ask nicely the cnc monkeys at BETD can knock you something up.

seeing them tomorrow for a hub progress update so hopefully have one in the next couple of weeks

I’m also chatting to them about Ti versions of the their fab middleburn uno stylee elliptical rings

nathaneddy
    Free Member

That would be these guys, I guess? http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/
    Will be interested to hear an update about your hub build.
    I need to ring Jones Bikes too and will ask Jeff about hubs. . .

tazzymtb

yep those are the chaps, the hubs are 135 spaced for a jeff fork and the new white bros fat carbon.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Good to know. I asked Jeff about a centre lock option for front hubs but there aren’t any.
    now I’ve got to start saving for my space frame if I don’t get “sticker shock” when he sends me a quote for a build. . .

tazzymtb

you do know you can get space frames through UK importers now. have a chat to that monger of bikes or the grumpy fella at sideways

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Yes, noticed that — prices (at a quick glance anyway) are higher than Jeff’s. I’m American tho live over here and will get it posted to some friends. . .

timbur
    Free Member

http://surlybikes.com/parts/hubs

Am I right in thinking that the ULTRA NEW Surly hub comes in a front 135mm spaced disc hub?
    That’s got to be a cheaper option than a Jones or a Whub hasn’t it?

Tim

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘135mm front hubs, what's out there?’ is closed to new replies.