• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 11 Speed XT v XTR Shifters
  • fathomer

Used the new 11s XT shifter on a demo bike a couple of weeks ago and it felt nice and positive, clunky in a good way. My current 10s XTR shifter is a lot lighter in comparison.

How does XTR 11 speed compare? Anyone used both?

mattbee

Not used the XT but my wife has XTR and the shift is really good. It’s crisp and positive feeling with no noticeable play.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve installed and set both up recently.
    To my mind XTR is TOO accurate, TOO light. Don’t get me wrong it feels fantastic but I get the feeling I don’t need that precision, that more weight and clickiness of XT would be more practical when riding. But that’s just me. Both wipe the floor with the SRAM X1 on my own bike.

mboy
    Free Member

As the generations have gone on, the gap between XT and XTR has got closer and closer IMO. Back when we had M950 XTR and M750 XT, the difference in quality was vast. Moving to M760 and M960 the game changed somewhat cos of the flappy paddle shifters, but up to M970 and M770 XTR was still appreciably better than XT. The last 10spd iterations of M780/5 and M980/5 were closer again, but XTR shifters more than anything were worth the price premium over XT.

The new 11spd stuff however… I’ve ridden both, and honestly whilst I can tell the difference, I wouldn’t pay the premium for XTR even if money wasn’t an issue. The new XT is that good really! New XTR is very heavy and mechanical, a feeling akin to a Campagnolo Record shifter I’d say, it’s very heavily sprung and needs some force to shift it, but the shift is absolutely instant when it goes. New 11spd XT is pretty close to the last gen XTR in feel I’d say, which I loved, hence I’d go with that.

I’m bought into SRAM these days though I’m afraid, because I jumped on the 11spd bandwagon before Shimano decided it was going to join, but also cos I’m sold on their Guide brakes and Reverb posts and I like how it all integrates together nice and easily. If I was starting afresh though, would probably go XT shifter and mech, Hope Tech 3 Brakes and that new Raceface Turbine dropper post.

Northwind

XT is nice and chonky. (if it wasn’t a word before, I’ve decided it is now. Chonky.) but it has a weird feeling of resistance about it, kind of like sticky cables. Shifting’s really good though and it still has more sram blam-blam feel than disgusting shimano schlup schlup.

Not as good as 10 speed Saint basically but better than just about any other shimano I’ve used.

everyone
    Free Member

Just get the XTR you know you want to mate!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I like the XTR shifter but the last XTR 11spd mech I had went sloppy in no time, and the clutch fell to bits. Back on XT now.

singlespeedstu

XTR shifter and XT mech for the win.
    As for the XTR shifter feeling “very heavy and mechanical” I think someone need to do some thumb exercises. 😆
    When i fitted an XTR shifter to Mrsstus bike she kept overshifting due to how light the action is.

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu – Member

XTR shifter and XT mech for the win.
    As for the XTR shifter feeling “very heavy and mechanical” I think someone need to do some thumb exercises.
    When i fitted an XTR shifter to Mrsstus bike she kept overshifting due to how light the action is.

That username gets less and less appropriate every day

gfrew88
    Free Member

I’ve got 11 speed XTR and the shifting is very smooth and slick, it did take a little tinkering tho to get it running perfect.

marc
    Free Member

You’re talking XT at £34 and XTR at £63.

Just pay that extra £29 and have done with it 😉

timbur
    Free Member

Save £29 more like it. New Xt is loverly 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

M980 is much better than the equivalent XT due to the double click in both directions. I’ve no idea what the case is for the new 11 speed stuff in terms of double shifts? I find it incredibly useful anyway and now wouldn’t use anyhting else. Deore mech though.

honourablegeorge

timbur – Member
    Save £29 more like it. New Xt is loverly

XT has that ridiculous shift window on it though

nosedive
    Free Member

I went for the xtr shifter as it had no indicator window unlike the xt. It is great but the mounting band feels a bit flexy when changing gear. No major gripe though and i would definitely buy the same again, especially as the xt still isnt available without the indicator window or aftermarket blanking plate as far as i can see

fathomer

Thanks all. Still not much clearer!

Shift window not an issue as I’ll be going ispec, which I think I’m right in saying don’t have one.

Double click in both directions should be on the XT, it is with the 10speed.

benpinnick

XT 11 feels alot like XTR 11. Both feel very smooth but clunky at the same time. XT has double release (push only) like the XTR. TBH I don’t really think you could tell them apart. XT is also not the XTR colour. Which is a good thing.

mboy
    Free Member

As for the XTR shifter feeling “very heavy and mechanical” I think someone need to do some thumb exercises.

I meant the trigger to drop to a harder gear, rather than the other way round. It’s definitely a firmer push than the previous generation, I’m indifferent to it as I’m very impressed with the new XT to be fair.

The thumb shift to go to an easier gear is very slick indeed.

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

XT has that ridiculous shift window on it though

Until you take it off.

(though annoyingly it doesn’t come with a cover; my old SLX did, why not new XT?)

singlespeedstu

That username gets less and less appropriate every day

If only STW towers would agree to change my user name…
    Apparently I could commit all kinds of sins by just changing my name to stu or multigearstu or anything else inculding my full name. 😕

fathomer

If only STW towers would agree to change my user name…
    Apparently I could commit all kinds of sins by just changing my name to stu or multigearstu or anything else inculding my full name.

You’re not the only one, I’d love to change mine as well!

And I still don’t which shift to get, I quite like the idea of a bit of XTR bling. Might have to toss a coin.

singlespeedstu

Get the XTR shifter and the XT mech.
    Feels awsums and you won’t cry if you wreck the mech…

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve just ridden my XT 11 speed for the first time today. I cannot think what you would improve on it.

Flawless, perfect and felt just right.

Save the money and spend it on a new tyre 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Interestingly, since writing my last post, I’ve had to replace a new XT M8000 11spd shifter for a customer as his had failed under warranty! Less than 2 months old and the thumb lever stopped returning…

I must have jinxed it with my recommendation!

With that in mind, buy XTR SRAM instead!

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve just ridden my XT 11 speed for the first time today. I cannot think what you would improve on it.

The look? New xt looks pretty cheap n nasty compared to xtr, imho that is.

garlic
    Free Member

Swings & roundabouts really. I do find the smooth feel and quicker action of XTR nice on really steep climbs- basically change gear with little discernible feedback. . That said, I also like the positive click of my Alvino mech and 8 speed downtube shifters on my commuter…

barney
    Free Member

11sp XTR and XT both have very similar lever-feel IMO.

Stevet1
    Free Member

whats the weight difference?

julzm
    Free Member

Got my XC bike set up with XT 1×11 but opted for the XTR shifter. No issues so far, feels good quality, click is definite but also very different from SRAM 1×11 I have in other bikes. I do get used to it very quickly when switching between bikes.

All else on XT is good but th shifter looks and feels rather cheap compared to the XTR.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed XT v XTR Shifters’ is closed to new replies.