Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 10th Anniversary Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2013
  • TheSanityAssassin

Entries are are now being encouraged for the 10th anniversary annual Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge, taking place this year on Sunday 12th May 2013 at 9.00am.

And because it’s our 10th Anniversary we’re planning to have a bit more going on at the finish and one or two things to make the day even more memorable!!

The course is a challenging one (as you’d expect) and consists of approx. 30 miles of local paths, tracks, bridleways and lanes around the picturesque Colne Valley area of Huddersfield – regularly featured on TV as settings for Last Of The Summer Wine and Where The Heart Is.

The cost of entry is £15 pre-booked (entry forms available at http://www.cvmbc.co.uk) and £20 on the day – although we do encourage pre-booking as it greatly assists the organisation of the event.

All participants will receive a free commemorative T-Shirt and certificate upon completion. The course will be fully marshalled throughout and will have 4 refreshment stops at designated points. There will also be a back-up vehicle available for anyone who wishes to (or is forced to!!) retire early.

Bacon Butties will be on sale beforehand at a nominal £1.00 each, but apart from these EVERYTHING ELSE refreshment wise (soup, bread, bananas, flap-jack, biscuits, coffee, tea etc etc) is FREE. Yes FREE. There is also a brilliant little pub – The Walkers Arms – situated on site, so those that wish to can partake of a pint (or two) if so desired.

So, to sum it up – it’s a 30 mile challenging MTB ride, fully marshalled, fully ‘catered’ and absolutely FANTASTIC VALUE, with a pub on site to finish the day off as well. You won’t find a better day out in this area on the 12th May. Come and give it a go – you’ve nothing to lose and we’re absolutely certain that you’ll be well looked after and have a great time.

If you’ve entered before, then the chances are you’ll receive an entry form in the post in the very near future as I’ve spent most of the afternoon franking and posting over 1300 of them!

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Keep up the good work!

Sam

mintimperial

Excellent! Looking forward to it. 😀

TheSanityAssassin

Your form’s one of those already winging it’s way to Holmfirth, Sam 😀

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Marvelous! The toughest and best ride of the year awaits!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

This link works

Are You Tough Enough?

MrSparkle

Great event this. I’ll try to round up a posse.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve done this event a couple of times.
    It’s excellent hope to be there for the 10th aniversarry

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did it for the first time last year and was impressed by the organisation, the atmosphere, and just how nuts the route was.

However im struggling to recall any fun bits for an mtb. If I can get hold of a cross bike in time I’ll do it with some road tyres on, and I think that will make it more fun.

TheSanityAssassin

Bump for the day crowd. 😀

TheSanityAssassin

Keep those entry forms coming in folks, the trails are remarkably dry and should be sweet come the day. 😀

Stevo210
    Free Member

Entered!!!
    As has been said, a great well organised event. Some amazingly vertical chunks of tarmac that would make most roadies wince and the off road is in parts as challenging.
    I like the bit that weaves down a rocky track at the back of a cluster of houses, all the residents have deckchairs out cheering you past as you twist down their driveway….love it 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

yep defo be there again (great event)! entry here in front of me (filled out ready for post)!

did it on a cx’er last year, will be trying it on a mtb this time 8)

Stevo210
    Free Member

cx’er last year,

controversial, there should be rules against such things 😉
    My mate last year tried it on his brand spankin Dirty Harry, 3 miles in snapped his rear skewer 🙁 Not entirely sure that was a terrain issue!

TheSanityAssassin

Friday afternoon?

Bored?

Great time to fill in your cvmbc entry form ready to post this evening!
    Go on, you’ll love it!! 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Still spaces available Johnny?

Must get over this year…

TheSanityAssassin

Plenty room for everyone, Nick. Get a form sent over, it’ll be great to catch up again mate.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sefton why an mtb this year? I will (hopefully) have my new cx bike before the race so was thinking of doing it on that. Last years route had so much tarmac in it that I couldn’t think of many bits where an mtb would be quicker than even a road bike… Apart from the last decent.

sefton
    Free Member

Sefton why an mtb this year

new rigid mtb 😀 the cx bike was great on the road sections but – a cx bike should be set up well! or it will make a hard 30miles.

imo a hardtail with the correct tire choice will be the best allrounder.

TheSanityAssassin

Still plenty of time to get your entry in the post folks.
    Come on, don’t be shy!! We’d love to see you!! 😀

bossdrums
    Free Member

So, I’ve sent my entry form in today…just one question, why did I agree to do this !!!!

On a more serious note, I have a couple of choices on bikes (I collect them…much to the amusement of my wife) a rigid (no suspension but light) mountain bike or a full suspension (4/5lbs heavier) mountain bike.

To those that have done this before, I’m thinking the rigid would be best for the climbs, but the full sus will be better for (is there much rocky descents?) the decents, which is best for this course…considering I’m 40 and a little out of shape… 🙂

thanks in advance

TheSanityAssassin

Don’t forget that a Sports Massage is available to book for before and after the event on Sunday. Only £5.00 for a ten minute leg rub 😀

Either email info@penninephysio.co.uk or phone 01484 843455 to book your slot. Bookings can also be made on the day, but there could well be a queue.

TheSanityAssassin

Still just enough time left to pre-enter. Get your forms in the post and make sure to include your mobile number so I can text you your entry number. Pre-entering really does help us in our organisation of the event and also speeds up your sign-on on the day.

TheSanityAssassin

FREE GOODY BAG for the first 300 riders to register!!

This year’s goody bag will contain a selection of products from Wild Trail. Sports nutrition and all the health benefits of wholegrain and popped corn in a tasty bar. Wild Trail are intending to be on site with bargains to be had, so don’t forget your wallets!! 😀

Also, don’t forget to mail info@penninephysio.co.uk to book a slot for your pre/post event massage at only £5.00 a go. Bookings can also be made on the day too.

TheSanityAssassin

There’ll also be an opportunity to buy Finesse Products on the day too.
    Multi Clean (bike wash), Multi Lube, Grease Buster (degreaser) and Stop! (disc brake cleaner) will all be available at a discounted rate. All products are already available through your LBS, but here’s a chance to top-up your shed, or try something new for the first time.

If you fancy coming along but haven’t yet sent off your form then just turn up on the morning. WE NEVER TURN ANYONE AWAY. If you’re there, you’re riding!

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

The traffic lights on Dodlee should make the start interesting 😆

Can everyone do plenty of big kid skids on the final descent as it’s just starting to wear in nicely after the council sanitised it a couple of years ago!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bossdrums, definitely the rigid. The off road stuff is quite tame to the extent im thinking of doing it on my new cx bike that I haven’t even ridden off road yet. Although I don’t think my gearing is quite low enough or the steepness of a lot of the road climbs.

I would also be tempted to put a semi slick on too. The majority of time is spent on the road, and what off road decents there are, you will not be compromising yourself that much.

bossdrums
    Free Member

Thanks FunkyDunc…I’ve got some schwalbe cx comp tyres on already, as I use it for commuting, which should do nicely…I’ve had a look at the route and mapped it to see what the ascents are like…definitely need a light bike to pedal up those nasty looking hills.

sefton
    Free Member

what made a cx bike difficult last year was long times breaking in the drops with canti brakes. my back, hand & arms took a beating. you got cross leavers on your bike?

whats your gearing like too? there’s some steep uns 😈

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The gearing is what’s putting me off the cx bike. Not sure what the block is to be honest but its a standard SRAM that you get on a Boardman CX Team.

The alternative is to use my Anthem full susser locked out.

I walked up some of the hills last year anyhow 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

id imagine it will be a 36/46 11-26?

all depends how strong you are. good look I’ll give you a shout if I see you

TheSanityAssassin

Bacon butties STILL ONLY £1.00ea!!
    It’d be rude not to at these prices!!
    Come on – the more the merrier. Don’t forget, if you turn up, you’re in!!

TheSanityAssassin

If you’re planning to enter on the day, please print off an entry form from the website HERE fill it in in full beforehand and bring the correct cash (£20.00) or pre-written cheque with you – it really will save a lot of time.

Parking is all on road, so please please please arrive early to avoid any unnecessary stress.

Hope you all have a safe journey and enjoy the event. 😀

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘10th Anniversary Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2013’ is closed to new replies.