Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 10speed power link?
  • sefton
    Free Member

at present my 10speed chain has a powerLOCK I like to carry a spare link – can I buy a powerLINK instead? will it all still work ok?

doesn’t have to be poerLOCK does it?

the links are great for cleaning too

jota180
    Free Member

Get a KMC one

honourablegeorge

KMC Ones – form Ebay, where they’re affordably prices.

Jase
    Free Member

I too use the KMC ones

Speshpaul

Decathalon, made KMC, 2 for £4

rwc03
    Free Member

Powerlink works well on 10 speed, never had a problem

sefton
    Free Member

OK so if my chain snaps I join it back with a powerlink instead and all is good?

zangolin
    Free Member

10sp Connex Wippermann – have used them for the last 8 years on Shimano + Campag chains with no problems.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wippermann-connex-chain-link-10-speed/

OK so if my chain snaps I join it back with a powerlink instead and all is good?

You will still need to carry a chain tool if you snap your chain.

rwc03
    Free Member

Yep, all fine

chiefgrooveguru

I have a KMC one on my chain and a Clarke one as a spare. Both reusable types.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dunno, shimano/SRAM chains are subtly different now*, I’ve no idea which way KMC aligned theirs, presumably for the roadie market, but I’ve no idea which of SRAM/shimano transfered the dimensions from road cassettes/chains to MTB.

Does anyone else still do it the old fassioned way, press the pin through the inner link, then push it back again to re-fit it? Supposedly weaker, but since going 1×10 I rarely have to multiple shift in a hurry so the chain’s not bent as much.

On the other hand plenty of people seem to get allong fine with a 9speed link.

*one kept the sprocket thickness from 9speed cassetts and made the chain plates narrower, but the inner width is the same, the other kept the chain plates the same width and narrowed the sprockets so you theoreticaly have to match “chains and cassetts”, and “mechs and shifters”, but the mechs/shifters dont need to match the chain/cassette.

druidh
    Free Member

sefton – Member

In my experience, yes.

DeeW
    Free Member

I use the KMC ones on SRAM and Shimano chains. Work well but a right b**ch to undo (I can only do it with pliers).

zangolin
    Free Member

I use the KMC ones on SRAM and Shimano chains. Work well but a right b**ch to undo (I can only do it with pliers).

Try the Wipperman links always easy to undo – never had problems with them on Shimano (including the new 10sp MTB chains) + Campag chains. You do have to put them on the right way up though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Might ty harder on mine then, I just assumed I’d bought locking ones by accident rather than re-usable ones!

cheers_drive

I used a 9sp Sram Powerlink on a 10sp KMC chain when it snapped during a ride and it appears to work absolutely fine.
    That said the Wipperman link is the easiest to undo

cloudnine
    Free Member

File the 10spd quick link lightly with a small file and should be able to open by hand like a 9 or 8spd one.

kevj
    Free Member

DeeW – Member

This. I took a set of light weight long nose pliers to the grinder and formed a rounded rebate to suit the barrel of the chain.

Kink the chain and squeeze. Simples.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I bought these pliers http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=506 and it makes it so easy to open and close 10 speed links, also using the KMC links from Decathlon and they work fine with Shimano and SRAM chains.

zangolin
    Free Member

Really no need for pliers or files just try the Wipperman quick links – always easy to undo with no force required – ever!

MadPierre

Power locks ain’t locks you can re-use them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘10speed power link?’ is closed to new replies.