Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 100 Miler Route around Cumbria
  • luthersboots
    Free Member

Evening everyone. I am organising a 100 mile ride for charity. We are planning on setting off from and headinto the heart of the lakes for 50 miles. Stay in a pub. Then continue on and end in Cockermouth. Looking to stick to forestry roads as much as possible. has anyone ever done anything like this before?

I am also checking out bikeroutetoaster e.t.c.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No but…. I’m guessing Cockermouth to Whinlatter, Keswick, Railway line down Thirlmere on the Waterboard roads. Back roads to Ambleside then down to Grizedale?

luthersboots
    Free Member

Sounds good mike. I roughly sketched out that just now on a map.
    Any ideas on the return trip anyone?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

from there it’s either Up and Over (repeat) or Down South (with up and over) or back the way you came.

scaredypants

the fred whitton is a bit over 100 miles isn’t it? – do that and stop somewhere near half way

luthersboots
    Free Member

Sorry mike. Please explain the Up and over?
    Sp – isn’t the Fred Whitten on Tarmac? Want to keep to as many off road sections as possible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Up and Over – either via a pass or 2 or 3 or over the fells.

So either a big tarmac slog or proper off road (not like forestry roads at all)

It all depends on the ability of the group but 100 Miles off road in the Lakes could be punishing if you have to start on the passes or Hike a Bike stuff

scaredypants

Sp – isn’t the Fred Whitten on Tarmac?

err, yeh – you’re doing 50m x 2 off-road ? 😯

d45yth
    Free Member

It all depends on the ability of the group but 100 Miles off road in the Lakes could be punishing if you have to start on the passes or Hike a Bike stuff

This +1. If you are up for a challenge though, you could try modifying the Lakeland 200! 😀

luthersboots
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies everyone. I am familiar with the Western Lakes (eskdale, e.t.c) and I envisaged forestry roads with some climbs e.t.c and minimal time on traffic laden tarmac. I am not familiar with riding in the Keswick, Grizedale areas so would need guidance here…
    We dont necessarily have to include the signature climbs e.t.c Just want to put in 100 miles in some sort of loop starting and finishing in Cockermouth on Mountain Bikes.

I’ll take a look at the Lakeland 200.

boxelder

Windermere and clockwise, through Claife, Grizedale, Broughton Moor, Duddon, Eskdale, C2C cycle ways to Whinlatter, Keswick, Coach Road to Ullswater and back roads to Haweswater, Longsleddle, Kentmere.
    EDIT – could obviously start in CMouth (is that where you’re from?)
    At work now, but can do a rough map over next couple of days.
    Not be easy though – experienced cyclists I take it?

luthersboots
    Free Member

Cheers Box, I’ll plot it out this evening too. Yeah the people who are invited will be above average cyclists. By no means elite through. We would like to start from CM as thats where we are from.

luthersboots
    Free Member

Does anyone know any good routebuilding software that will work on ordnance surveys. I downloaded routebuddy for my mac but It doesnt look like it has all the detail I need to see those pesky forest.fire roads.

routebuddy
    Free Member

In answer to luthersboots…

May I just say that no maps have all of the detail you want, including OS maps, and let’s face it the forest fire roads will keep changing over time. Well they do here in the Surrey Hills anyway! 🙂

However you might still find RouteBuddy suits your needs as it has the ability to switch layers between Ordnance Survey maps and satellite imagery and for these images you’ll get a ‘better’ idea of what is or isn’t available as a route on the ground.
    (Note that uniquely in RouteBuddy the imagery is layered directly over the OS map, not side by side as in some apps, and not zoom out to zoom in as happens on web site maps – thereby giving you detail and accuracy.)

You can either check this out in RouteBuddy (with the sample Afan Valley map) or read what a power user says about ‘Ariel and Map Views’ in his walking blog here:
    Andy Howell’s blog

Any questions then feel free to email me here: support@routebuddy.com

neil
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Route Buddy sent me over a cliff…..spam reported (apologies if your not a bot)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘100 Miler Route around Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.