Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • 10 things you need to know about losing weight???
  • BillMC

Someone flagged up a link to this programme on the BBC iplayer. It was excellent and I went back to see if I could get it recorded and it had disappeared from the list. I teach in a comprehensive school where overweight and obesity are a bit of an issue. I would love to get hold of this programme to use with students. Is there anyone out there who recorded it and can help me in this respect? I’d be happy to cover costs etc and you’d be doing a real bit of public service. Email in profile.

Jamie
    Free Member

Email in profile.

No it isn’t.

Anyways, I downloaded the programme, in .avi format, and can convert it to DVDr so you can watch it on a regular DVD player if you want.

Email actually in profile 😉

bigsurfer
    Free Member

It is repeated on BBC1 presuming that your not in Scotland at about 1:00am Saturday morning so you should be able to record it.

Keva
    Free Member

but there’s only one thing to know about losing weight…. one simple formula…

calories in < calories burned

I wonder what the other nine are ?

Kev

maxray
    Free Member

You want to watch it then Keva.

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair the program is about 15mins info and 45mins padding.

samuri
    Free Member

1. Calories in needs to be less than calories burned
    2. It’s in my genes
    3. I’m big boned
    4. I’ve got a slow metabolism
    5. It’s my glands
    6. We’re all heavy in my family
    7. I’ve got an under-active thyroid
    8. Exercise makes me go dizzy
    9. I used to be like a whippet
    10. Big is beautiful.

Olly
    Free Member

put down….. the fork

(sorry, thats a useless comment, ill go away now)

sofatester
    Free Member

You don’t see much “obesity” in Africa, wonder why that is?

Mitch36
    Free Member

And pretty much zero fatties in China either, and that’s not just poverty.

Mistere
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

but there’s only one thing to know about losing weight…. one simple formula…

calories in < calories burned

I wonder what the other nine are ?
    You (and samuri) should probably watch it then. Only caught the end of it and a couple of the points appeared to be perfectly valid and things I hadn’t come across before (one was that if you liquidise your food it makes you feel full for longer, thus helping you to reduce calories in – can’t remember the other right now). It’s not actually quite as simplistic as you make out.

maxray
    Free Member

The other main one was about protien telling your brain your not hungry which again helps reduce calorie intake.

Also low fat dairy increasing the amount of fat that is stopped from being absorbed by the body which again helps with the basic in out rule.

“You don’t see much “obesity” in Africa, wonder why that is? “

Yeah sofatester.. good comment.. err.. /0\

sofatester
    Free Member

I know maxray, i thought it was as well 😉

Bunnyhop

I watched this on iplayer and thought it was a fantastic programme.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah yes, the other one I saw and forgot about was the dairy. That actually helps you break the “calories in < calories burned” rule the cynics are so fond of, since you lose weight despite calories in and calories burned being the same.

petrieboy

good program indeed. i’ve tried the high protein breakfast and it works a treat – no longer chewing on the desk at 11am!!

nbt

It’s genetic

What’s genetic about pies?

Ewan
    Free Member

aracer: Surely you’re just highlighting that it is as simple as others have made out. Sure you may be tricking your body into feeling more full, but at the end of the day it’s still physics. Consume less energy than you use and you’ll loose weight.

Just get some will power FFS.

Stu_N

“It’s inevitable – I can fit me fist in me mouth but only two fingers up me arsehole” (best said in a Johhny Vegas accent)

Keva
    Free Member

ah yep that programme about liquidising food, alex James’ cheese diet and the woman who forgot to calorie count the healthy food she ate ’cause she didn’t think it needed to be included… and was consequently eating twice as much as she thought. I saw that, it was quite good and I’ll confess the only thing I didn’t know about was the cheese thing, oh and the increased rate of fat burn during sleep.

And anyways, eating a healthy diet is just common sense, I have no idea why people feel the need to eat more than necessary. Plus there’s no point in eating junk food anyway ’cause it’s low in nutrition and high in fat – waste of time even chewing it.

Kev

stratobiker
    Free Member

Is it beer o’clock yet? 😉

aw
    Free Member

You don’t see much “obesity” in Africa, wonder why that is?

Well it is not pleasant being poor and only having cheap food to eat. going hungry is not what the ‘West’ and northern hemisphere are used to. This is hardly a decent suggestion to lose weight in our over affluent society.

rs
    Free Member

ok… i’m off to liquidize my double cheesburger, supersize fries and large milkshake, should turn out like one of those healthy smoothie things 🙄

emac65
    Free Member

Sorry but these type of programmes are just for lazy buggers who can’t be arsed to get off their backsides to do some propper exercise to burn it off….
    It’s easy,use more calories than you eat & you will lose weight,it really can’t fail…

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I’m incredibly ‘fattist’ as it were, I’d happily see proper fat people denied NHS care for obesity related diseases, I wonder how many people on here are actually a truly healthy weight?

I could do with losing a bit of fat, and I’m only 70kg.

Eating sensibly in terms of type of food is more important than actual amount IMO, if I were to eat nothing by crisps and chocolate I’ll wager I’d have a net loss of calories and probably still get fat! I doubt I’d be all that healthy either!

CaptJon
    Free Member

If only everyone was more like Keva.

The programme was excellent, very balanced.

rOcKeTdOg

i thought it was just move more eat less…..i’ve yet to perfect it though

Bunnyhop

It’s false economy to buy rubbish food.
    A relative goes out and gets the cheapest yukiest ( not a real word) sausages from her local supermarket, the packet probably contains 10 or 12.
    If she went to her local butcher, she could buy 3 or 4 for the same price with more meat, less fat and salt.
    Therefore staying healthier and slimmer.

emac65
    Free Member

But sausages are pure rubbish from wherever they are bought… 😉

surfer
    Free Member

No 1, Move away from the pies!

Nick
    Rich
    Free Member

Dont skip meals.
    Use a smaller plate.
    Count your calories.
    Dont blame your metabolism.
    The wider the choice, the more you eat.
    Keep moving as much as possible.
    Eating more protein will keep you fuller longer.
    Low fat dairy with meal stops your body absorbing as much fat.
    Soups keep you full for longer.
    Exercise burns fat for hours after, even while you sleep.

Pretty much sums it up.

Bunnyhop

Sausages, burgers, chips all bad. However if you’re going to eat these things you may as well have quality by making your own.

Cleaning your teeth straight after an evening meal stops cravings for snacks before bed,

At any one time the public mis-read their body saying it’s hungry, when really they are slightly dehydrated.

Trying not to eat after 8.30p.m.

Never snacking inbetween meals are all good tips too.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s easy,use more calories than you eat & you will lose weight,it really can’t fail…

But it’s not that simple at all. Like njee, I’m pretty fattist – I have however put on over a stone this year (don’t know exactly how much – don’t want to go near the scales as it’s depressing), mainly due to the fact I’ve done far less than half the amount of exercise I normally do – not exactly what most people would call fat, but a lot of my clothes (small, 30″ waist) don’t fit. Therefore I now have a awful lot more sympathy for people who do have problems with their weight. It’s all very easy for you folks who enjoy doing lots of exercise and/or don’t put weight on easily. Lots of the population would like to lose weight but struggle – I imagine a lot like me have found family responsibilities get in the way of doing regular exercise. These people do need some help, and programmes like this help them.

dobo
    Free Member

I wasnt going to bother watching this program as i dont have a weight problem but i’m glad i did, its really interesting, even if you dont need to loose weight this makes a good watch and may even explain why you are not fat. may also help when you over indulge.

aleigh
    Free Member

just cut out sugar and keep bike riding – you can’t go wrong! it worked for me btw 😀

Keva
    Free Member

food should be about nutrition first, taste last.

aracer
    Free Member

Is the rest of your life boring as well, Keva?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘10 things you need to know about losing weight???’ is closed to new replies.