Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10 speed sti's with XT 10 speed cassette and rear mech.
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

My question,

Could I run a XT 10 speed cassette with a 10 speed XT rear mech with a 10 speed 105 sti?

Thanks.

cp

you can use the cassette but not the rear mech – you need to use a 9 speed mtb mech.

khani
    Free Member

No, iirc shimano 10speed road, and shimano 10speed mtb run different cable pull ratios, but a 9speed shimano mtb rear mech will work with 10speed sti’s and an xt 10speed cassette
    I think.. It’s all very confubulating. 😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tk46hal
    Free Member

Thanks cp!
    Can you get 10 movements out of a 9 speed rear mech with a 10 speed sti or would it need to be a 9 speed sti? If not then I would probably go 105 rear mech, probably long cage thing, but could I still use a XT cassette? The reason behind a xt cassette over a standard road cassette is because I would like the choice of have the 34-11 gearing over a 28-11.

druidh
    Free Member

A 9 spd rear mech will give you all 10 gears. I run Ultegra shifters and XT on my tourer

cp

A 10 speed cassette is the same width (as near as dammit) as a 9 speed one, so no worries on the mech reaching both ends of the cassette.

It’s all to do with cable pull ratios – road 10 speed pulls cable in the same ratio as 9 speed mtb, it just pulls less of it per click. So it works great with road 10 speed and mtb 9 speed mechs.

MTB rear mechs have a different pull ratio (i.e. move a different amount with that cable pull above) so wont work.

Anyway, what you’re suggesting will work fine, and is exactly what I do with my CX/winter road bike – 11-32 mtb xt cassette, deore mtb 9 speed rear mech to work with the 11-32 (or more!), 105 10 speed shifters. Then for road duty, the cassette gets swapped for a 12-28 road one.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Thank you!

Northwind

I’ve got a 5600 10-speed 105 shifter and an XT 9-speed on the Rat too.

Nipper99
    Free Member

works fine – 10spd 105 sti with 9spd xt rear mech on 10spd 11/36 cassette

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10 speed sti's with XT 10 speed cassette and rear mech.’ is closed to new replies.