Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  •  "Immigrant Song" by Trent Reznor
  • alba23
    Free Member

Heard this at the cinema on the trailer for “The girl with the dragon tattoo” Not a fan of of Led Zepplin or cover versions but liked it a lot.
    But i have been listening to The Swans new album for the drive to work and my opinion may change next time i hear it.

dans160
    Free Member

The only two bands where I have everything ever released… Clearly, apart from this.

My life is no longer complete. I hate you.

(not really)

racefaceec90

alba23 thanks for the heads up 😀 don’t know anything about girl with dragon tattoo,but trent is my favourite musician (bar none) fantastique 😀

dans160
    Free Member

Youtube is your freind.

kimbers

love Trent too , was reading about his tapeworm project that could’ve been the schnizzle
    I prefer the johnny cash cover of hurt tho

alba23
    Free Member

Cash version of hurt sounds like the saddest song ever, while the Original sounds like somebody feeling sorry for themselve. Love them both but agree with Kimbers about Cash’s version.
    better than the original.

nedrapier

I’ll look out for the TR/Immigrant cover, ta. and the Swans too, why not.

I was musing the Cash/NIN Hurt versions the other day. I agree with alba and kimbers and I’ve heard plenty of others say the same. Odd though. Same words, obviously, and you should be able to look past the vocal style.

But spoken by a young man, they sound self-absorbed, whiney and self indulgent; in the mouth of an old man they seem to have much more legitimacy.

Seems that we can allow an old man to introspective, to reflect on his life and his mistakes, but a young man doesn’t have enough life experience to do that, and should pull himself together and get on with things… ? Bit sad really, and probably why young men with mental health problems have such a rough time.

Maybe it’s because the lyrics are entirely looking backwards, with no reference to the future…

dingabell
    Free Member

Be sure to check out ‘How To Destroy Angels’ another of his side projects on You Tube. The video for ‘The Space Inbetween’ is ace.

BoardinBob

As much as I love Zep and NIN, this version sounds like Moby 🙁

alba23
    Free Member

greeble
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbBayiWglg[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

soundslike they added a drum machine and got a crap singer to sign an ok song from a great band
    Its an absolute no oh my god you murdered it please make it stop from me

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of Trent, have been for years, hell, I’ve even got the 5in single with get down make love as the b track 🙂

but you don’t mess with the greats, and I’m afraid that any cover of something like the immigrant song will always be sacrilege 🙁

mrjmt
    Free Member

If you would like to hear Hurt being killed have a listen to the Sevendust cover. I like most of sevendust’s stuff, but this, this just shouldn’t have happened.

kimbers

i quite like it

not as good as the original or trents best work, or karen Os for that matter but i still like it

kimbers

mrjmt – Member
    If you would like to hear Hurt being killed have a listen to the Sevendust cover. I like most of sevendust’s stuff, but this, this just shouldn’t have happened.

johnny cash on the other hand OWNS it

prezet
    Free Member

If you like Cash, check out Jake Bugg, an 18 year old with a haunting sound reminiscent of Cash.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTM9rV8uKpI[/video]

mrjmt
    Free Member

Does anyone else find it difficult to like music made by people younger than them?

I dont know why, I just dont find I can get on with it.

Wierd.

Speshpaul

Nope, adds nothing to the original, should be stuck from the records.
    Very few have got away with Zep covers and this isn’t one of them.
    funnily enough the best Zep covers were covers to start with.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I think that was an awful remake. What a great film intro though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ao-Sahfy7Hg#t=2s[/video]

This really needs to morph into a ‘best of Trent Reznor’ thread…..

Northwind

I hate most of the vocal on his Immigrant Song… But there’s a few bits when it finally tips over from being a terrible vocal to being some sort of mad sounding musical instrument instead, and then it starts working

I just went away to try and choose a favourite reznor track, and hopelessly failed.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I quite like the backing but the vox are awful…

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

NIN were brilliant. Can’t believe that Pretty Hate Machine is now coming up to 23 years old. I found Fixed and Broken just too hard to swallow.

DezB
    Free Member

Does anyone else find it difficult to like music made by people younger than them?

I dont know why, I just dont find I can get on with it.

i’m the opposite. Old people make shite music.

righog
    Free Member

And if Johnny Cash Bred with Metallica…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lV9ucjWBcZM[/video]

You get VolBeat

Northwind

Like it, cheers!

tinribz
    Free Member

That immigrant cover, not in the same league as the scissor sisters but still lacks feeling.

The only decent Led Zep cover I’ve heard was unbelievably from Pink.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6e6jFSoa28[/video]

righog
    Free Member

Pink who’d have thought ?…Bloody Brilliant!!

thered

I’d like this more if I hadn’t already heard the original which is a great song and required none of the synthesised vocal, drum beats, techno riffs and volume increase in the chorus.

By comparison it’s guff imo.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Ok if we are allowed to post up a few cover versions how about these…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACZWdJVR7I&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawP6yu-D6s&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

dingabell
    Free Member

Trent does do a great line in atmospheric film music. Check out the genius use of the NIN track “Closer”for the opening credits of Seven.

chutney13
    Free Member

I’m the same as dezb, old people generally make shit music. Not a fan of led zeppelin at all, probably due to ubiquitousness of stairway when growing up, (a role Cohen’s halleluja seems to have taken over of late) nin and Trent, on the otherhand do appeal to my inner emo. He also had quite a good one in the crow covering a joy division song, (which is about as Mary poppins as it sounds).

zippykona

They don’t really bring anything new to the song. Have always found this type of music devoid of any ‘soul’.
    Infectious Grooves at least gave the song a funky bass line.
    Therefore I’m out.

emsz
    Free Member

god, that immigrant song cover is properly shit. Never ‘Got’ NIN though.

good covers though…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhVydgvuAc[/video]

CountZero

The female singer is Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s, along with Trent and Atticus Ross, and I really like it, in fact I got it from iTunes as soon as I heard it.
    As possibly one of the few on here to have actually seen Zeppelin perform it live, I have a perspective on it, and I think it works just fine, but I like Karen O anyway.
    So there.

globalti
    Free Member

This is a good immigrant song:

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ "Immigrant Song" by Trent Reznor’ is closed to new replies.