Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You know SRAM like complexity…
  • matt_outandabout

…I think they have outdone themselves.

Hammerschmidt MK2 with added electronicals…?

Radical SRAM crankset patent incorporates three rotating derailleurs

tomhoward

Late April fools? Trolling the journos that scour patent applications for the next big scoop?

ThePinkster

My first thought was ‘Why?

Closely followed by ‘I bet that’s not going to be light

Rapidly closed with ‘that’s really going to cost a fair chunk too

lunge

My first thought was that, given SRAM’s rep, you wouldn’t want to be buying the first 2 releases. That’s going to have some serious problems to iron out I suspect!

nickc

My first thought was ‘Why?‘ Closely followed by ‘I bet that’s not going to be light‘ Rapidly closed with ‘that’s really going to cost a fair chunk too

my thoughts whenever I see another gearbox thread on here; are pretty much the same.

ta11pau1

The front derailleur is dead.

Long live multiple front derailleurs!

SirHC

Newer version of the really succesful truvativ hammerschmidt….

There was another company that had an expanding front chainring, google fu is failing me today.

My first thought was that, given SRAM’s rep, you wouldn’t want to be buying the first 2 releases. That’s going to have some serious problems to iron out I suspect!

I’d just avoid it, IMO Sram quality peaked at 11 speed, current 12 speed isn’t as durable.

matt_outandabout

Long live multiple front electronic derailleurs with batteries, multiple sensors, multiple motors and restricted shifting

Ftfy

ayjaydoubleyou

So its only a 2 gear system (ie replaces an old school double), and has two physical chainrings so having a “singlespeed” chain set up, but with two gears is not possible. I’m out.

whitestone
    Free Member

My first thought was that, given SRAM’s rep, you wouldn’t want to be buying the first 20 releases. That’s going to have some serious problems to iron out I suspect!

FTFY 😏

hols2
    Free Member

Will be completely unnecessary once CeramicSpeed get their shaft drive to market.

https://assets.newatlas.com/dims4/default/2422d30/2147483647/strip/true/crop/800x533+0+0/resize/1200x800!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewatlas-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Farchive%2Fceramicspeed-driven-1.jpg

martinhutch

Given that ceramic speed jockey wheels cost about five squillion quid each, I have a feeling there may be a gap in the market. 🙂

Still won’t be giving SRAM any money, even if it has a 530% range.

fasthaggis

My first thought was that, given SRAM’s rep, you wouldn’t want to be buying the first 20 releases. That’s going to have some serious problems to iron out I suspect!

FTFY 😏

Applauds

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought when it said three derailleurs it was going to be some awesome multiple geared hammerschmidt.

All those moving parts, sensors and batteries to shift between two chainrings?

Their marketing department is going to have to work hard to spin this.

“Hey, bikers, you know those cripplingly expensive boat anchors we’ve sold you to replace front mechs, the ones with awful chainlines, clunky shifting, finikerty indexing and doubtful efficiency?” “Well, you can go back to the 9 speed ones now because we’ve re-invented the front mech” “It’s better than the one Shimano stuck with because it’s £600, doesn’t mount on the frame and wear’s out so you have to pay that much every year for it.” “Neat huhh?”

robcolliver
    Free Member

And with mud and stones to keep it functioning smoothly…..

ta11pau1

Road bikes, get muddy? Pull the other one! 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    martymac

Surely someone REALLY clever could come up with a better idea to increase range without requiring 36” wheels?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘You know SRAM like complexity…’ is closed to new replies.