Home Forums Bike Forum You don’t need MIPS….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • You don’t need MIPS….
  • matt_outandabout

….maybe.

Interesting piece from Kask about why they’re not convinced.

Kask puts MIPS on notice with new WG11 rotational impact test

Let the helmet frothing begin.

Kryton57

It’s a bit early for biscuits, but I have some on standby…

thepurist

At least TJ’s back home now so we don’t have to worry about his phone running out of battery ;)

scaredypants

As is traditional, I’m wading in without reading the link or any other evidence/opinion:

Unless you superglue the inside of the helmet to your head, it seems to me that simple slippage is probably a bigger component that MIPS

a11y

One huge flaw in Kask’s approach: it assumes a full head of hair for maximum benefit 🙂

ads678

Yeah, a company that doesn’t like mips devises a test that shows that if you have a good head of hair mips might not be that beneficial.

So about 90% of the blokes on this forum could still benefit from mips then!!

I don’t have mips in any of my helmets, am bald and still alive…..

Sandwich

“There has been some confusion where a helmet without a specific anti-rotational technology is defined as an unsafe helmet,”

Maybe less safe not unsafe, somebody at Kask sounds a little defensive.

Kask is very explicitly saying that any headform that doesn’t mimic a human head’s natural shear layer will artificially amplify the effects of a supplemental shear layer.

I have a no.3 all over, so some shear there but barely any scalp movement, none of any use there. The forms need to take account of natural variation or eliminate it completely for the test results to be meaningful for comparisons. Maybe the standard ‘tacky’ headform is the best approach to eliminate natural variation (like ones man-bun catching on the inside of the helmet in an accident).

Having an extra shear layer is unlikely to do any harm, not having it may cause harm in specific instances.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Having an extra shear layer is unlikely to do any harm, not having it may cause harm in specific instances.

That’s what I took from the article

Kryton57

So grow your hair or MIPS then.

superdan

I struggle with MIPS for night riding. Makes the light jiggle about a lot more than a non-MIPS helmet.
    Ended up with a second, cheaper helmet with a permanently attached hope mount for night riding.

matt_outandabout

No Sudocreme suggested?

monkeyboyjc

Anyone remember that Trek? Marketing a few years back, over the course of a few months, print and digital, heralding the best cycling invention ever. Turned out to be a new helmet design. Not heard a word about it since.

The best safety equipment every designed is the car 3point seat belt, only because Volvo made it patent free. If MIPS was patent free I bet every helmet manufacturer would adopt it.

nickc

This story has really strong Chris King headset vibes to it.

reluctantjumper

That’s what I took from the article

Same here. I’m happy with my MIPS helmet, doesn’t move around much even with a light on top and if it gives better protection in certain crashes but doesn’t make others worse then it’s fine in my book. Knowing my luck even though I crash very rarely when I do it’ll be a big one and most likely one where the MIPS will be beneficial, especially if I’m wearing a helmet without it!

singlespeedstu

I’ve always thought MIPS to be a bit pointless in trail/xc lids.
    I can see it’s use in an FF helmets that has a much more secure fit. but no matter how good a fit a trail helmet is there’s always a bit of movement.
    Even so all my trail lids still have MIPS or a variation of it as it’s difficult to buy a good helmet without it these days.
    In my unscientific test I’ve just conducted while sat here my baldy head skin moves a similar amount to the MIPs on my TroyLee lid. 😉

matt_outandabout

Anyone remember that Trek? Marketing a few years back, over the course of a few months, print and digital, heralding the best cycling invention ever. Turned out to be a new helmet design.

Is the ‘Wavecel’ stuff which like Koroyd straw things is just, well, a bit crap by blocking airflow, easy damaged etc?

Kuco

Is the ‘Wavecel’ stuff which like Koroyd straw things is just, well, a bit crap by blocking airflow, easy damaged etc?

Having been riding a Smith helmet for the past two years it’s not majorly over warm even with a buff under it even in the height of summer and as for fragile? mines not damaged in the slightest.

I have wondered whether wearing a buff under the helmet whether it affects the MIPS.

malv173
    Free Member

my baldy head skin moves a similar amount to the MIPs on my TroyLee lid

Does that mean that MIPS extends the range of movement in a rotational impact?

b33k34

I’ve always been really dubious about MIPS for just the reasons they set out, and the MIPS helmets I’ve had were definitely less comfortable (though the Giro Spherical stuff seems to deal with that, at a high price).

I’d be far more interested in something that actually gave a higher degree of impact protection – is there really nothing better than a lump of polystyrene? What about the Koroyd stuff Smith uses? Are Bern’s ‘hard hat’ Brock foam helmets actually more useful in real world use? https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buying-guides/the-absolute-guide-to-bern-helmet-constructions. (How much damage do our hard foam helmets suffer from bouncing around in the back of the car for a few years).

Maybe the current tests/standards do deliver the best combination of cost/protection/weight but it does seem odd that there hasn’t really been any substantial advances since the cycle helmet standards were originally defined,.

maccruiskeen

So you’re discounting a wig as a solution?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Presumably though the little mounts of the MIPS system are designed to articulate under load, whereas your hair/scalp pressed up against the inside of the helmet would wobble more normally but bind up when a load was applied?

I struggle with MIPS for night riding. Makes the light jiggle about a lot more than a non-MIPS helmet.

I took all the mounting hardware off my helmet light, put some clingfilm over my helmet and pressed the lamp body into some epoxy putty (the stuff that comes in a “sausage roll” of epoxy and hardener at B&Q). Mounted as far back as possible so it’s as close to your head/neck joint which is the fulcrum. It no longer wobbles and its weight is barely noticeable as it’s probably an inch closer to my head than the mount put it.

tjagain

The testing they used suffers from the same thing as almost every other bit of testing used for cycle helmets – its pure crap. A headform not a whole body and no attempt to look at what happens in real accidents. The best bit of research I have seen on this topic used full body dummies and threw them at things from various angles. they found increased rotational forces with helmets in 30% of all cases.

MIps tech however adds weight which is not good and puts a hard layer in the helmet which again is not good

barney
    Free Member

The best bit of research I have seen on this topic used full body dummies and threw them at things from various angles. they found increased rotational forces with helmets in 30% of all cases.

You got a link to that, TJ? Be very interested to read.

desperatebicycle

I’ve just bought a Fox helmet with MIPS (SportPursuit bargain) to replace a Kask helmet without MIPS. Only difference is the MIPS makes a noise! Squeaky/rattly type noise when riding on a quiet trail is quite annoying. Added protection? meh.

barney
    Free Member

It’s interesting to me (as an established MIPS – and other shear force helmet technology – advocate) that they don’t mention whether MIPS performs as well (or even *gasp* better) than KASK on its WG11 test. Surely if you’re coming out fighting then you need to show the data against the other side?

Without reading all of the surrounding data – I actually have a job to do! – the article also only mentions ‘superficial’ brain damage – whatever that means. Current thinking suggests that many concussion symptoms might be explained by perturbations in the corpus collosum, a massive wedge of nerve fibres which effectively holds the two hemispheres together, and is responsible for integrating their functions. This is not a superficial structure.

More reading necessary, obvs. But I’m all for better and more testing.

tjagain

Barney. cyclehelmets.org Take your skepticism with you. I can’t see the particular paper now

barney
    Free Member

Well, that’s – uh – *quite* the easy-to-read website :-) Couldn’t find much/anything in there less than decade old, and I can’t find the paper in there either. 🤷 Thanks tho!

zerocool

@sandwich – if they have a man-bun then they deserve everything they get!! 😜

Also Grade 3? You long haired hippy

b33k34

@tjagain

MIps tech however adds weight which is not good and puts a hard layer in the helmet which again is not good

The MIPs I’ve seen are a thin enough sheet of flexible plastic that I really can’t see that it would be a negative, and adds negligible weight. No-one has ever marketed lightweight helmets as being ‘safer’ – just more comfortable.

Northwind

I’m skeptical on both sides of it tbh. It wouldn’t be the first time helmet testing led development down a road that looked good on paper but really was created by the test itself. Just look at the history of motorbike helmet, EN vs Snell and then the well-intentioned counterproductivity of SHARP that ended up largely testing exactly where your vents are, and forcing manufacturers to move strength away from critical points and into bits that real world analysis showed rarely take damage.

Helmet tests are definitely very synthetic. It’s only to be expected, as soon as you want high reproducability you tend to develop a test that’s great in the lab but maybe not so realistic. Unnatural headforms are a part of that, the thing you hit it with is another.

(TJ’s dummy tests aren’t that compelling either btw- we’re not ragdolls, we don’t crash like that. I suspect we should be doing these tests with reanimated corpses)

but whether Kask are more right than MIPS, who knows? But their argument seems pretty sound- you can feel the movement in your hair and scalp yourself. If testing has shown that’s a thing we need, and then MIPS has basically recreated what we already have, that’s a pretty easy conclusion to have reached with best intentions. If it’s better than what we already have, that’s great, if it adds nothing but has no downsides that’s fine… But everything in a helmet adds either bulk or weight and it’s all on a pretty strict budget. Big helmets hit more things and rotate more, heavy helmets increase dwell time, it’s unavoidable.

In the end I think most bike helmet testing is shit tbf. The CE testing is so old and so basic. If we put the budget invested in changing colourschemes annually and churning Exciting New Tech, into really good helmet testing and certification ther’s a good chance we’d save more lives and brain cells than we do with MIPS etc. But what a good test looks like, is not so simple.

(like, yay for dh helmet testing! But then let’s fudge it so that it can also do openfaces. So now a helmet with a somewhat-protective chinpiece fails, while a helmet with the exact same overall safety except no chinpiece at all passes)

And then it goes out in the wild and suddenly helmet fit is a huge factor too. Or you cut your hair. Or the pads shrink over the years. or the most protective helmet in the world makes you sweat too much so you don’t wear it or you overheat and lose concentration and crash more. It’s all science, but it’s not the sort you can easily put in a lab

scaredypants

As is traditional, I’m wading in without reading the link or any other evidence/opinion:

Unless you superglue the inside of the helmet to your head, it seems to me that simple slippage is probably a bigger component that MIPS

That’s more or less the thrust of their argument.

silasgreenback

All i know is i’ve had some serious head ground contact with no mips and still here.

MIPS adds about 10c to my helmet temp which makes it uncomfortable. It makes the helmet shell float around and the helmet feel like its loose on my head and on my mtb mips helmet thats amplified 10 fold with a helmet light.

I’m firmly in the kask camp. Got 2 of their lids and way comfier than anything else I’ve worn.

Hopefully I’ll still have an intact head in 10 years!

stevextc
    Free Member

Northwind

And then it goes out in the wild and suddenly helmet fit is a huge factor too. Or you cut your hair. Or the pads shrink over the years. or the most protective helmet in the world makes you sweat too much so you don’t wear it or you overheat and lose concentration and crash more. It’s all science, but it’s not the sort you can easily put in a lab

Agree with the rest but the elephant in the room here is the £200 (or whatever) helmet you crashed in 5 times hasn’t been replaced because it cost £200 (or whatever) .. it wasn’t a very big crash .. was it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

~25g seems to be quoted in a few places.

I reckon I lose more in an average haircut and gain more on a rainy day.

And it’s definitely not a “hard layer”, it’s at best a slightly more elaborate version of the existing plastic adjustment cradle. And if something penetrated that far through the helmet you would probably be wishing it was a hard layer!

stevextc
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

~25g seems to be quoted in a few places.

And it’s definitely not a “hard layer”, it’s at best a slightly more elaborate version of the existing plastic adjustment cradle. And if something penetrated that far through the helmet you would probably be wishing it was a hard layer!

Most implementations of MIPS I’ve seen the extra weight won’t be a problem as they seem just reduce the thickness of actual protective stuff… something penetrating the helmet I’d prefer to benefit from a thicker helmet.

thols2

One huge flaw in Kask’s approach: it assumes a full head of hair for maximum benefit

A well-designed combover with plenty of Brylcream to keep it in place is probably better than a full head of hair.

IdleJon

All i know is i’ve had some serious head ground contact with no mips and still here.

Anyone who has been riding bikes for a decent length of time will have cause to thank their helmet at some point. That doesn’t mean that helmet safety can’t be improved.

This:

MIPS adds about 10c to my helmet temp which makes it uncomfortable. It makes the helmet shell float around and the helmet feel like its loose on my head and on my mtb mips helmet thats amplified 10 fold with a helmet light.

sounds like you simply bought an uncomfortable helmet. I’ve had plenty of helmets with MIPS and don’t recognise these problems, even with a helmet light. (Fwiw, my ‘road’ helmets are non-MIPS, so I don’t have any axe to grind here)

Northwind

stevextc
    Free Member

Agree with the rest but the elephant in the room here is the £200 (or whatever) helmet you crashed in 5 times hasn’t been replaced because it cost £200 (or whatever) .. it wasn’t a very big crash .. was it?

Yup, good point.

funkmasterp

I don’t have mips in any of my helmets, am bald and still alive…..

I, on the other hand, died several years ago from being bald and not having MIPS.

didnthurt

MIPS isn’t much extra cost, so why wouldn’t you buy it?

I think there are a couple of other types that work similar to MIPS.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

All I know for certain is that I’ve cracked 2 helmets after crashing into things. A forest barrier in Wark forest during a Polaris Challenge & a tree at Glentress.
    I’ve yet to test my MIPS Bell to that extent, but at least my head’s still intact & ready to give it a go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.