Home Forums Bike Forum Yorkshire (ish) gravel rides

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yorkshire (ish) gravel rides
  • portydave
    Free Member

Hi, going to be down in Harrogate for the world champs in September, and thought i’d take a couple of days to do a bit of biking with the missus.
    Anyone got any suggestions (maps/gpx) of good routes to do, ideally 20-50 miles or thereabouts. something that takes in some sights and/or pubs/cafes etc would be ideal!

cheers

gingerman69

Lots of nice stuff but needs some fettling out ….up wharfedale you can get to mantillas lane from kilnsey way and link things off that . You should be able to find the Gpx for the dales 300 and 500 around ( gpsies site ) which should be quite gravelly. Then I think there is a Uk gravel routes page on Facebook which has some rides harrogate way

Cheers

richwak
    Free Member

Hi,
    I live in Harrogate and have a whole range of rides starting and finishing in the town. We have some great gravel locally. I can’t get ride with gps to share my rides but if you go the the website and search for Richard Walker with Harrogate as the starting point all my rides should pop up.

Have a look and see how far you fancy riding. The trails are pretty good in all weather conditions apart from high winds. The Moors above Kirby Malzard are great for gravel riding.

If you need any further advice feel free to email me
    richwak@yahoo.co.uk

legometeorology
    Free Member

I added most of the bits I know to this a while back:
    https://gravelmap.com/#@54.1368358109688,-1.9801980580310374,11,hybrid

whitestone
    Free Member

Crikey! Just looked at that map and there’s a few routes that there’s no way I’d take a gravel bike in preference to an MTB.

OP, the moors west of Kirkby Malzeard over to Lofthouse have a few tracks you can link up. KM – Swetton – Fountains Earth Moor – Bouthwaite – Ramsgill – Middlesmoor – Scar House Reservoir – round the edge of the dale to Pott Moor – High Ash Head Moor – Grewelthorpe Moor – KM. Grab a map or use something like streetmap.co.uk and the route should be obvious.

djglover
    Free Member
    legometeorology
    Free Member

Crikey! Just looked at that map and there’s a few routes that there’s no way I’d take a gravel bike in preference to an MTB.

True, especially the North of Cam High Road, but I think they’re mostly OK on a gravel bike, and it may be preferable if it’s just part of a much bigger loop with lots of road miles.

portydave
    Free Member

cheers guys, plenty to look at there!

whitestone
    Free Member

@legometeorology – I was thinking more of Dead Man’s Hill between Nidderdale and Horsehouse in Coverdale, touch and go as to whether I can keep the front wheel down on the climb out from Scar House Reservoir when on my HT. The descent to Horsehouse is better than it was but it’s still a bit on the rough and loose side.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire (ish) gravel rides’ is closed to new replies.