Home Forums Bike Forum Yet another what hardtail thread…

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Yet another what hardtail thread…
    brokenbanjo

PXL_20231229_113716484I don’t regret buying this SolarisMax. Absolutely superb wherever it takes me, from steep gibberish in the Lakes to sedate bridleways or 43 mile epics around the Cairngorms whilst my Dad was having a tripple-bypass. I have the fork at 130mm and it’s perfectly balanced, I found when it was at 140mm that it was a bit wandery up front when climbing.

Also, Sam at Cotic was bloody brilliant, answering my questions both before and after the sale. Also when I emailed them about a dodgy rear Magura brake, they sorted me out straight away.  

bjhedley

Another vote for a Stanton Sherpa, ticks all the boxes that you describe. I’m continually amazed at how capable it is on rough stuff while still feeling ‘XC’ enough on pedally tame stuff.

No full builds offered anymore but depending on cyclescheme you can still by parts I believe.

If I didn’t buy the Sherpa, I’d have bought the Cotic though, especially when they did it in purple.

nedrapier

Another vote for Sonder Signal (Ti if you like). Mine does every(ish)thing. XC, bikepacking, enduro races, towing kiddos in the wagon round Elan Valley one day, Coaching day on Dyfi Bike Park Blacks the next, wagon back on the day after for coast tour and beach picnic.

Also comes in “clean”

null

nickfrog
    Free Member

It’s GOT to be steel, a way better hardtail ride than aluminium and absolutely noticeable, when you ride the two materials back to back it screams out at you. And I’d highly recommend a P7, belter of a bike, love mine

Material has very little to do with it. I have had steel hardtails that were absolutely noticeably far harsher than some alu hardtails, yet they were heavier and did not handle or turn in as well.

Loads of more prominent variables. Ride comfort essentially comes from the tyres, as the material used for these is obviously far more flexible than metal. The difference in harshness between two metals is negligible by comparison.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.