Home Forums Chat Forum Yamaha 350 LC YPVS or ebike ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Yamaha 350 LC YPVS or ebike ?
  • binman

Been looking at ebikes for a while, then realised that I could get a YPVS for the same money.

I had an LC followed by an N2 YPVS (both written off) during my student days before moving onto ZXR 750.

I am nearer 60 than 50, so it’ could be more of a nostalgia trip, (should I just get over it and get an ebike ?).

Where is the best place to get advice on buying an RD and current prices ?

TIA

weeksy

https://revtothelimit.co.uk/index.php

Lots over there into classic bikes

Pb Evo forum too

somafunk

I’d get the 2 stroke, remove the engine and give it to Stan Stephen to work his magic then find good medical insurance

kilo

Get the Yam!

I keep looking at little two stroke trail bikes from the 70s and 80s and when I casually mentioned this to Mrs Kilo she said “That sounds like a good idea” and there’s no way she approves of ebikes, so new year will bring a new project.

onewheelgood

The Elsie would be pretty cool. But the RD I really wanted was the final RD400DX in white with the red speedblocks.

kayak23

As much as I like motorbikes, and I had an RD125 as my first bike up from a 50, before writing it off through a farm gate about 3 days later, I would say get the eeb.

Much more opportunity for fun of many kinds. Nostalgia bikes are good, but rarely as good as they were.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Ebikes are at the beginning of their life cycle.

Two strokes are at the end of theirs.

Get the rd while you still can…

(Ex rgv 250 owner)

qwerty
    Free Member

Neither.

A 500 Power Valve is the correct answer…

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202309091767440

💰

fasthaggis

Saw a stunning YVPS DTR 250 at a show last year,the inner teenager in me almost fainted.
    yeehaa
    😆 🤣

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve been oogling TZR250 reverse cylinders on IG of late.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve had a 350 power valve, KR1 & TDR250 – the TDR was in those colours above but I had it sprayed black and fitted TZR250 wheels and a twin headlamp to it.

Oh I wish I’d kept them!!!

alric
    Free Member

why nostalgia when you could have a wr450 with supermoto wheels, modernish brakes and suspension?
    although at 60ish maybe not the best time to learn supermotoisting or enduro, or freeze on a roadbike

joelowden

I had three LC’s…2 Naked and an F2, I would love another shot on one… however, old age and rose tinted specs I think 🤔🤔.
    Also really enjoying my new ebike….

kormoran
    Free Member

Oh God I had a 250LC way back, what a hoot. Always wanted a 350 but no cash

Put it down the road a couple of times, lucky to not be under an hgv. Not sure I’d have the bottle now, and definitely not in two pairs of jeans and a leather jacket that I wore back then

doomanic

A 500 Power Valve is the correct answer…

Blimey! You could get an S-Works for that!

I’d take an RG over an RD…

qwerty
    Free Member

I’d take an NSR (400/500) over an RG…. 😜

binners

I’d take an RG over an RD…

A mate had one with the nackers tuned out of it. Crazy fast with a throttle that was an on/off switch

As he put it: “it’ll pass anything… apart from a petrol station” 😂

In answer to the original question… do you even need to ask? But the YPVS, obviously

pandhandj
    Free Member

If it’s an itch? Scratch it, is what I’m trying to say.
    I remember when ‘fast bikes’ reviewed the fire blade in 93-94 (I think?). I’ve wanted one ever since.
    I’m 52 now, with an mt07. But I’m seriously considering a blade of some sort next spring. Just for a wee while!
    I’m running out of time. If I don’t do it soon the opportunity may be gone forever…

dyna-ti

Not really the point though is it ?, of course you can get a 2nd hand motorcycle for the cost of an ebike.

You can also get a landrover, mobile home or caravan or a boat.

But even with the motorbike, not everyone buying an ebike has a motorcycle licence.

daveylad
    Free Member

I’ll take the ebike. I enjoyed riding my 350 in the late 80’s but roads are crap these days and not much fun.
    The ebike would get much more use.

Sandwich

I’d take an NSR (400/500) over an RG

I had the 400cc version. It was a bit small in size for a 5′ 10″ tall bloke. Strictly a high days and holidays bike and they liked to eat the middle cylinder, overheating and stripping off the nikasil coating.

Oddles of high speed fun though, just a bit thirsty at genteel speeds.

doomanic

I’ve had RD250 (stage 3 tuned and overbored to 280cc with Swarbrick pipes), RD350 (tuned, stock pipes gutted), RD350YPVS (stock), NS400R (stock), KR1S (ex-proddy racer so power band narrower than a Gammon’s point of view), RD400E (Stan Stephens full race tune, chromed Micron pipes and a Sidewinder sidecar on L plates). God I love two strokes…

doomanic

of course you can get a 2nd hand motorcycle for the cost of an ebike.

Have you seen how much classic two strokes are fetching these days? 😳

augustuswindsock

If you buy the Yam, and later decide nostalgia isn’t what it used to be and the spec’s were rosier tinted than you bargained for, you’ll be able to flog it for what you paid for it, or maybe even more if you’re lucky and you can get e-bike instead.

If you buy the e-bike and regret it, you’ll lose a significant percentage of the purchase price if you try to sell it on!

H-B

Much as I loved my 350 LC at the time I wouldn’t want another, as the bikes that followed (including a wonderful ZXR 750, and the a ZX7 still in the shed) all showed it up to be a bit rubbish really. But you’ll probably be able to sell it on with little trouble once the itch has been scratched.

weeksy

I’ve owned most of the big 1000s from Ducati, to Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, I don’t regret any of them.

That said, I get infinitely more pleasure out of a bicycle than I do a motorbike now. Partly the roads, partly the traffic, but possibly because I’m a better MTBer than I was a motorbike racer.

The great thing is, if you buy the classic bike, hate it, you can sell for the same money if you buy it right.

singlespeedstu

Two strokes are at the end of theirs.

TBI,TPI?
    You’re out of touch dude.
    They’re just getting going again.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Any links Stu? I’d love for them to make a comeback!!!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that Stan Stephen’s died quite a few years ago.

He did publish a book on two stroke tuning.

I thought it would materialise on kindle.

colp

TBI,TPI?You’re out of touch dude.They’re just getting going again.

Don’t you need to stand on one leg while praying to the correct ancient gods and follow a 300 page document every time you start them?

To the OP. Get the ebike, you’ll actually get to ride in some times.

dyna-ti

Have you seen how much classic two strokes are fetching these days? 😳

Im more of the early 1900’s type of thing. which is double :shock: :shock: when it comes to fully restored prices.

1920’s, with sidecar.

I was seriously tempted, seriously seriously tempted, only I needed the Ebike to get around on, sooner rather than 3 years down the line of a restoration project.

b-4hp-1920-712x457

Watty

I was in/on Tenerife last week and saw a YPVS in what I assumed was daily use. It was a bit ratty, but the weather is obviously kind to them out there.
    Get the Yam, it’ll only appreciate in value, the electrobike will be landfill in 5 years.
    Personally, and I had a variety of Kawasaki triples in my youth and love two-strokes, I’d have a 350 LC (the original non-powervalve version) – white tank with blue graphics.

blokeuptheroad

I like classic bikes but the rose tinted specs thing is definitely a thing. Motorcycles have taken a quantum leap in performance, comfort and reliability since our yoof. A mate had an original Norton Commando and still has a 1980s Suzuki Katana 1100. Both bikes I lusted after in the 80s but I’ve since ridden both and it quickly dispelled any desire to own one.  Brakes in particular are shocking compared to modern bikes, even on the disk braked Katana.  I owned a BSA A65 for a while to scratch my own classic bike itch. I did enjoy it but eventually the scary drum brakes and one too many trips home on an AA truck forced me to sell it.  Never owned an LC but always lusted after them back in the day. Now? Not so much.

qwerty
    Free Member

I think a modern supermoto is probably a power valve hooligan equivalent (had a Duke2 which confirmed this for me).

alanl
    Free Member

I like classic bikes but the rose tinted specs thing is definitely a thing.

Definitely. I’ve bought a few 40 yo bikes over the last 10 years. mainly as I like restoring them, but they are all bikes I had, or lusted over in my younger years. All of them were rubbish when compared to my modern bike. The last one was a 1979 Guzzi V50, I had one in the late 80’s, went everywhere on it. I finally got it on the road in July, and promptly put it up for sale. It handled lovely, but it was so slow, and as above, the brakes are awful.Previous ones were the same, 400/4, CB250N, even the Ducati 750SS from 1993 was rubbish compared to my current 2020 Tiger 900. I think if I ever got the 350LC, I would be very disappointed, for many reasons. I’m now 3 stone heavier than when I was a youth, I would look stupid on such a small bike, brakes and performance would then really hit home how old it is. If you are less than 10 stone, at less than 5’8”, aand not used to modern bikes, then get it, if not, you’ll be very disappointed with it, so buy it as an ornament, and polish it every so often, take it out twice a year, and then each time vow to never use it again as its so rubbish. It’ll be an apprecitaing asset for a good few years yet, so you shouldnt lose money on it.

singlespeedstu

Don’t you need to stand on one leg while praying to the correct ancient gods and follow a 300 page document every time you start them?

🤣 Not a Keep Taking Money fan then.

How about a TM or the new Fantic?

I spent my entire racing year on two strokes and as much as I dislike the huge Austrian corporation I have to give it to them for keeping the development of 2T’s going.

I agree about getting an eeber though.
    You’ll ride it much more .

sobriety
    Free Member

Thing is, they’re all 4 strokes, 2 strokes I find more fun and just a bit silly. I’ve got 2 and 4 strokes, and while the big modernish (2002) triumph does everything well. It doesn’t make me giggle into my crash helmet like even my 100cc 2 stroke suzuki does.

H-B

Just starting my ZX7 with full Muzzy system makes my giggle too.

Just needs the rebuilt carbs to go back on …

somafunk

No one has mentioned the best part of owning a two stroke yet, the smell of premix in the morning :).

I was in the fortunate position of being fully sponsored from Kawasaki UK (rode moto-x since age 8) and used Putoline in my KX125/250’s and the smell was intoxicating, sitting on the start line you could tell who was using Silkolene, Rock oil, Putoline etc, as each bike had a characteristic smell – I miss those days.

Got given a KR1s for a years use of when I was 18 to try out and see if I wanted to switch to track racing and whilst I loved that thing I was never entirely comfortable on the road with it due to other road users and the variability of road surfaces – the KR1 was twitchy as **** on a track never mind on the public roads and woe betide you if you crossed the white line or hit a patchwork of road surfaces mid corner. Fitted a steering damper and had gussets welded into the headstock to try and firm up the frame which somewhat worked but ultimately it had a bit of a squirmy frame at best, you could get it to work on track by using the flex to stand you up out of a corner but on the road it was a bit lethal and the fork judder under heavy braking was alarming coming from Moto-x bikes.

Handed it back after I watched my mate hit a wood lorry as he flew past me on the Lochgilphead to Cairnbaan straight bit of road (argyll), his RD350 slid out on the slight bend and he smacked into the lorry front on and got dragged underneath and killed instantly, not much left of him and it was the most horrific sight of my life, I can still re-run the entire crash in my mind along with the smell of petrol and oil. I never rode a bike on the road after that day, I was quite happy to go on track but road riding didn’t appeal.

ampthill

I’d just be deciding when it all goes wrong in a corner how fast you want to be travelling

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.