Home Forums Bike Forum XS Cotic BFe…How tall can I be and get away with one??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XS Cotic BFe…How tall can I be and get away with one??
  • terribleone1982
    Free Member

Anyone out there running an XS Cotic BFe?

I’ve had my eyes on them for a while & can’t quite work out if an XS would be too small for an 5’8″ – 5’9″ rider. It would need work as an all-rounder for longer days out; but being honest most of my riding consists of 1-2 hours of technical trails/singletrack, followed by pie & a pint of ale!

I come from a BMX background and currently ride a 16 Marin hardtail, which I find a bit on the big side when things get tight & twisty. I think shorter & lower would be better, but don’t want to be maxing out my seat post when it comes to pointing uphill. Any help from current BFe riders would be greatly appreciated!

thepodge
    Free Member

Not much help but I’m 5.10 & ride a 13″ frame that is on paper too small for me, it’s awesome

chiefgrooveguru

What length stem do you have on your Marin and do you ever feel too cramped when pedalling uphill or hit your knees on the bars? An XS is only 19mm shorter than a small.

nsdog
    Free Member

toys19 ex of this parish has an xs, he’s tiny though at 5.5 or something. If you are in Devon I expect toys might let you have a go on his.

Can I ask why do you think the xs would be good and not the s?

terribleone1982
    Free Member

What length stem do you have on your Marin and do you ever feel too cramped when pedalling uphill or hit your knees on the bars? An XS is only 19mm shorter than a small.

50mm, and I never hit my knees..even with pads on. It doesn’t feel cramped, if anything I’d like it the same length with just more frame clearance.

toys19 ex of this parish has an xs, he’s tiny though at 5.5 or something. If you are in Devon I expect toys might let you have a go on his.

Can I ask why do you think the xs would be good and not the s?

I’m in Notts, so it’s a bit of a trek! I think I’m swaying towards the XS more because my current frame is a 16″, although I’m sure the geometry would be so different it wouldn’t be a fair comparison!

chiefgrooveguru

How long’s the Marin? Effective top tube (from head tube / top tube joint, measured horizontally backwards until it crosses the seat post) not actual top tube. Note that the ETT changes with fork length. FWIW I’m a long-armed 5’10.5″ and ride a medium Soul (same geometry) with 50mm stem and compared to my BMX it feels like an enormous tank for the first few minutes on it but then I settle into it and it feels great (but I’m an MTBer who rides a BMX a bit, I’m not a proper BMXer!)

colournoise

Running an XS BFe with a 50mm stem. I’m 5’6″ and it’s just about spot on for me as a chuckable all-rounder. If you’re 5’8″ and ‘normal’ proportions I would guess an XS might be borderline too small for you.

Here’s mine in saddle up pedalling along mode.

bullroar
    Free Member

I am about the same height, with relatively long legs and short arms. I ride my sons XS BFe.

It is a right hoot downhill, through the woods and at a dirt type park, I don’t tend to drop the seat right down as I can’t actually pedal with it that low.

The downside is the uphill, the top tube is a bit too short even with a 65mm stem. I also suffer on the ups as I can’t quite get the seat post far enough out to pedal efficiently, have a 400mm post but probably need another 25mm. A full day with lots of up does get tiring.

Even allowing for the downsides I love it and much prefer it to my P7 which will be going in the New Year to be replaced by a BFe.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XS Cotic BFe…How tall can I be and get away with one??’ is closed to new replies.