Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • XD vs Shimano freehubs – benefits?
  • ibnchris

I’ve just got quite a good deal on a pair of hope enduro wheels but they come with XD rather than shimano. Which is annoying as the cassette I have now won’t work.

The cost of compatible ones is waaay higher. Is there any benefit to them?

Is the free hub any better? Are the cassettes better?

If anyone did want to swap I’d probably be keen! That or sell me a cheap cassette

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

10T smallest sprocket capability. Means a 10-50T cassette has a 500% range compared to the 454.5% range of an 11-50T.

mrmo
    Free Member

What drive chain are you running? Shimano or Sram. 10,11, or 12spd?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Being able to fit an XG1150 cassette. A properly good piece of kit.

ibnchris

Running a shimano 11speed

ibnchris

Although if I could find a good deal on a new groupset id consider something new.

ibnchris

Does it use the same tool to fit as shimano or will I need a new tool too?

tomhoward

Same tool

matt_outandabout

Do look up XD cassette cost and availability.

I had to buy one yesterday. 😱

ibnchris

I have 😢🤯

thelooseone

For me, XD all day. The benefits:

– The XD free hub design does not result in damage to the free hub from the cassette that you see on Shimano HG cassettes used with aluminium free hub bodies.

– Ability to run a 10 tooth smallest cog.

– SRAM cassettes are lighter and more durable than Shimano.

An 11 speed SRAM cassette will work with your Shimano mech and shifter. The only downside is the cost of SRAM cassettes, though for me this offset by their longevity and lighter weight.

GeForceJunky

The XG-1150 is a great cassette for weight Vs longevity Vs range at not silly cost, so I’m a fan. Something that should be considered before buying wheels, not after!

ibnchris

I know, should have thought about it before pressing buy but it was a good deal and the right colour hub 😉

It looks like I can get the cassette of choice for about £85 so it’s not too bad. A new free hub is about the same. And this way I can switch out between my weight weenie American classics and the burlier Hope Enduros when needed…

It’s on an Orange Stage 5 so the American Classics do feel a bit out of place.

honourablegeorge

+1 for what thelooseone said above, the lighter weight and durability of the SRAM
    GX cassettes makes them far better value than XT and easily worth the little extra cost. Have always used SRAM 11s cassettes with Shimano mech and shifter. The XD freehub itself is usually slightly lighter too, and there’s to cogs biting into the aluminium like with HG.

Only slight disadvantages are the possibility of cross threading the XD, or the cassette seizing onto it. Clean, greased threads will eliminate those worries.

bruneep

what hub is it? should be able to pick up a 2nd hand shitmano one I’d thought

vondally
    Free Member

Try Microshift cassette , 10 speed 11-48, the one that arrived at our house looks well made and a good price.
    SRAM cassette above is fab though, on several bikes in the household, stood up well to things and a good spread of gears.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Back in early 2017, I was looking at the Boardman CX Pro, along with “double tap” being completely alien during a turbo test in-store my jaw hit the floor at the replacement XD cassette cost of ~£75 back then compared to <£30 for Shimano 105.

I’ve no idea of relative prices these days since Brexit and Covid for SRAM XD, but I think Shimano 105 7000 cassettes are ~£45 these days.

Vortexracing

Being able to fit an XG1150 cassette

I have a good, not used a lot, 1150 for sale if you fancy it?

ibnchris

Yes please @vortexracing can you DM me?

Vortexracing

will do

z1ppy

@matt_outandabout where did you find one? Struggling to find a decent price

matt_outandabout

I’ve taken a gamble… I’ll report over the next few months.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Bike-11-12Speed-Flywheel-Cassette-9-50T-ULT-MTB-Freewheel-Durable-XD-/353448596443?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

My thinking is – I’ve got Sunrace on one bike, a friend is running Microshift. Both seem functionally as good as Shimano. Microshift lasts as long as Shimano. STW towers have some cheap cranks of test and seem positive…

How cheap can it be…? (Plus returns accepted).

z1ppy

Interesting option, cheers

endomick
    Free Member

The price of XD cassettes over shimano alternative is the only downside, but having destroyed countless alloy shimano type freehubs it’s a no brainer, 10t over 11t, a decent weight saving and a freehub that doesn’t get chewed up and can last takes the win, currently on microspline without issues so far, I would never go back to the normal shimano so swapping from XD would be a mistake imo.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘XD vs Shimano freehubs – benefits?’ is closed to new replies.