Home Forums Bike Forum XC Bike sizing/fit query – Trek Procaliber

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XC Bike sizing/fit query – Trek Procaliber
  • jake123
    Free Member

Hello you helpful bunch,

Currently riding an XXL jeffsy 27.5 and to be honest at times it feels a little large but mostly acceptable. Mainly going slower and twister sections, Maybe the combo of long wheelbase and 160mm travel.

Looking to add a XC hardtail for gravel/bridleways/exploring and odd bit of road use. Would also like to do some competing.

I started looking at pro calibers and have tested an XL + XXL around a car park, I actually ordered a XXL however got cold feet over the geo figures (XXL procal is 500 reach and 680ETT vs 502 reach and only 660ETT for the XXL jeffsy).

It seems wrong to me that the XC bike should have a longer ETT making it even more cumbersome when sat pedalling, is this expected fit?
    I thunk maybe an XL would be better and treks size chart does say XXL starts at 6ft5 and 36.2″ leg.
    However the XXL felt better but was only on flat tarmac and I’m concerned its just because it felt ‘familiar’ to me rather than better for its intended use?

Maybe I’m reading into numbers too much?

Is a slightly shorter reach beneficial for XC use? Less needing the long low gravity focus.

All advice appreciated! I know I’ve asked similar before in here and it’s helped me process my confusion!!

I am 6ft3 to 6ft4 and 36″ inseam.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Don’t get hung up on numbers, angles and what should be right, buy the bike that feels right

winston
    Free Member

I’m not sure the height chart for the procaliber is that accurate. I’m 6ft exactly so i thought the L would be spot on and perhaps a bit large as it was supposed to go up to 6ft 2″  Just got it last week and I deffo wouldn’t want anything smaller – I find the reach almost too short but with a 10mm longer stem and flat bars it will be perfect. Not sure i’d want to be 6ft 2″  and riding it though

Other than that its a great bike and the isothingy really does work.  really like all the rock impact protection on the downtube too

SirHC

I have the following:

Large G1 Large – 515 reach
    Kenevo SL S4 – 485 reach (Its definitely longer in reality)
    Stumpy S4 – 480 reach

Specialized goes a bit shorter on the reach on their trail bikes compared to the enduro stuff for the same size. Downhill bike is a bit shorter again, the game is to keep the weight balanced.

For me the most important bit, is the horizontal distance between the back of the saddle and the centre of the BB. I find that if the actual vs virtual seat angle has a big difference, then it puts me too far behind the BB.

Procal will be on a longer stem than the jeffsy. I run a 35mm on my G1, 40mm on the other two. G1 is slacker than the KSL, but find the handling odd with a 40, but on the other two, 35 feels odd as well.

Remember that the jeffsy sags and so the ETT will grow, where the procal will stay largely the same.

jake123
    Free Member

I also look at other popular bikes I.e slash and they don’t offer a XXL model.
    Makes me think if they didn’t for the procal
    I’d be perfectly happy in the XL which lists as upto 6ft5 also according to size charts .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.