Home Forums Bike Forum WTB Winter set up

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • WTB Winter set up
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ive got vigilante/trail boss at the moment which has been great through a hot summer. Now the trail boss on the back is getting too slippy.

anyone got a WTB set up that will work? Thinking maybe the vigilante on the back with a gripper mid tyre up front.

cheers

Poopscoop

So you definitely want to keep it WTB at both ends?

I do get the whole matching tyre thing (I’m like that too!) but in the Winter the side walls and logos are covered in mud anyway. 😉

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It’s mainly to save a few quid to be honest.

jes
    Free Member

I have the same setup for general riding.

I have tried a number of wtb tyres whilst they were cheep, mainly in 2.8 and 2.5 versions and they worked well in dry sandy conditions.

However after the back end let go in slightly damp conditions at a trail centre I just purchased some minions dhf.

weeksy

I’ve just recently fitted a Trail Boss for winter :D

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trail boss is decent for winter weeksy, but like any tyre, when it wears it loses it’s grip, which I suspect is the OP’s issue.

stevied
    Free Member

Convict 2.5 (light/high grip) Front, Vigilante 2.3 (Tough/Fast) work really well together if you must stay on WTB.

milky1980
    Free Member

Been running a Convict/Trail Boss combo all summer and it’s been great grip-wise.  Just put a Convict back on the rear for the autumn as the Trail Boss was worn and the sidewalls were shot (light carcass).  They’re good but heavy (light/high grip front, tough/fast rolling rear) so I’ll be swapping them out to Maxxis when they’re worn.  WTB have the tread design and compounds sorted but the carcass is either too thin and prone to slashes while still being heavy or really heavy and a bit wooden so if I wasn’t such a tart for matching brands and didn’t want to throw away a perfectly usable tyre I’d have swapped by now!

kelron
    Free Member

New bike came with Vigilante front and rear (high grip front, fast rolling rear) so I’ll see how I get on with that. Got to be an improvement on Ardents in the wet at least, though I imagine they’re a fair bit heavier than I’m used to.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wasn’t such a tart for matching brands and didn’t want to throw away a perfectly usable tyre I’d have swapped by now!

Madness. Use what works, not what brand it is.

jonnym92

Maxxis when they’re worn.  WTB have the tread design and compounds sorted but the carcass is either too thin and prone to slashes while still being heavy or really heavy and a bit wooden

Maxxis aren’t much better! Make sure you get at least a double down on the rear, I’ve slashed both double downs but they have held up with a patch in. You pay a lot for that yellow writing though..

I’d really like a 2.6 Vigi front & 2.3 rear but you can’t get them at all! Can’t even find the 2.3 in a fast/tough rolling.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘WTB Winter set up’ is closed to new replies.