Home Forums Bike Forum WTB Ranger – actual sizes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • WTB Ranger – actual sizes
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’m considering a 2.8 Ranger, how similar is it to the 2.8 Trailblazer size wise?   Bigger or much the same?

nixie

I’m interested in this too. The Trailblazer is a bit skinny in the tread department, I’m hoping the ranger is a similar casing size but with more edge knobs.

firestarter
    Free Member

To my eyes mine appears wider and rounder but not as tall as despite being wider it actually fits the chainstays better.  This is a 2.8 vs 2.8 on 45mm rims

mccraque

I can probably help you here…..I asked the same question direct to WTB and this was the response….

“The Trail Blazer lead the way for our plus sized line and as a result we actually made it more narrow so it would fit on more frames such as yours. Its going to measure closer to 2.6 on the Asym I35 rim while the Ranger 2.8 measures around 2.75 on the I35 and almost exactly 2.8 on a I40 internal width rim.”

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm.  Okay, for context I’m interested because I’m wanting to put one on a 30mm rim up front only on an old model  27.5 Yari Boost.  I’ll be going with something more 2.3-2.5 in the back, possibly a tough/fast Breakout.  I’ve offered the Trailblazer/i35 combo I have with the original lopsided Hope Boost adapters into the fork and it’s go plenty of side clearance but the arch is getting a bit marginal as I can’t quite get a little finger in there.

What I’m really looking for for this build is an allrounder tyre that copes with mud and wet rock well and preferably is at least 2.6.  From what I’m reading the 2.6 Forekaster would probably be a good option if Maxxis could be arsed providing it over here, and other tyres in the category seem to have mostly sold out so I was looking for alternatives and started wondering about plus.

I had been planning a high grip Ranger as a look-see.  Am I likely to regret it?  From Firestarter and McCraque’s replies it seems it’s likely to fit side to side and may even be a little better on the arch?

nixie

@mccraque

Was it WTB US or EU you talked too? Just the contact us email? Got a question I’d like to ask them and interested to know which route they responded on.

firestarter
    Free Member

It should fit in the fork arch better id have said it definitely fits in my ramin much better than the stock trailblazer

bungalistic
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack but how do people find the Ranger as a rear tyre, any real world experiences, grip, longevity, puncture resistance etc…

mccraque

The trailblazer is definitely a taller (but slimmer) tyre. If anything it would be the sidewidth that caused issues, but seems like you have that base covered.

FWIW – I am running a Nobby Nic on the front. Available in both 2.6 and 2.8 now. That is not so great in deep mud (but better than the Trailblazer!) but is great one anything else, wet or dry.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm.  So, I guess there will be an update in a while with how well a 2.8 Ranger on a 30mm rim fits a 27.5 2017 Yari… 😀

Thanks guys!

jes
    Free Member

From memory the ranger is 68 mm wide on a hope 35w rim, fits a fox 36 fork with just enough clearance for a mud guard.
    Generally a good all round trail tyre but no minion and certainly better in drier conditions.

mccraque

@mccraque

Was it WTB US or EU you talked too? Just the contact us email? Got a question I’d like to ask them and interested to know which route they responded on.

info@wtb.com – the chap that responded was definitely in the states.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘WTB Ranger – actual sizes’ is closed to new replies.