Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wool duvets ??
  • ElShalimo

There was a thread ages ago on wool duvets but I can’t find it

Who’s got one? Are they any good? Which shop did you get them from ?

Pyro

We have one. My other half loves it, I’m not convinced – too heavy for my liking. Smells faintly of sheep.

Can’t remember where she bought it from.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I bought one from a company in Wales I think, Baavet? It’s alright, better than a synthetic but I still prefer down. It’s also a beige colour rather than white which shows through a flimsy cover. I bought a pillow too which I don’t really get on with as it always needs bashing to redistribute the wool. It stunk of sheep for ages when I first bought it which I loved.

Pyro

Ah – Baavet rings a bell. I think that’s where the missus got ours.

beinbhan

Had a Baavet for a few years. Wife loves it I find it too hot unless its really cold as in minus outside. No heating in bedroom and window is always open. We use a silk duvet most of the year warm and light.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Had a Baavet for a few years. Wife loves it I find it too hot unless its really cold as in minus outside. No heating in bedroom and window is always open. We use a silk duvet most of the year warm and light.

Interesting, I don’t find it hot enough. I had a lovely old down duvet which my ex walked off with. The wool one is nowhere near as warm as that and I have to double it up with a synthetic in the winter.

ElShalimo

I prefer down but I find the synthetic ones very sweaty as they don’t breathe as well. Wool might be the bird-friendly solution

reeksy

Bought one in 2008. Still use it every winter as our house is unheated (Queensland) so gets fairly chilly at night. No idea what brand, but likely Australian or Kiwi.

Definitely not smelly.

nixie

Yeap had one for quite a few years now. A Baavet medium weight IIRC. I really like it, warm enough for me year round but when I get too hot doesn’t suffer from the excessive moisture issues that synthetics do. I also have the pillow an yes you do need to bash it (but find that is no worse than any other pillow). I like that you can easily adjust the fill and take the cover off to wash.

z1ppy

Had ours for ages, it replaced a double duvet (thin and medium duvets that clip together to make up a thick one), and it’s great. Occasionally find it a bit hot in summer, but it’s fine the rest of the year, even the depths of winter. No idea on the make, it’ll be something cheap and cheerful from Dunelm, as the g/f bought it
    My personal bug bear (no one else seems to report) is it gets cold quickly, when you pop to the loo or to let the animals out in the middle of the night.

ElShalimo

let the animals out in the middle of the night.

I really hope that’s a euphemism !!

sboardman

Bought one from Devon Duvets off the back of a STW thread. We’ve put it on far too early this year, but it in the genuinely cold weather it does keep you very warm without overheating.

MrSparkle

z1ppy – probably a Fogarty one. These?

lapierrelady

We went for a topper and then quickly followed up with a duvet from https://www.thewoolroom.com/bedding/wool-duvets/

zippykona

Alpaca duvets are bloody amazing. Even in the heatwave it wasn’t too hot and in the winter it’s never too cold. It’s always just right.
    They are really light and we’d buy another 9ne tomorrow.

nedrapier

where did you get yours from, zippykona?

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Woolroom purchased one here.

Never looked back….warm in the winter and cool in the summer. No heating in our Glasgow bedroom.

The big upside for me is that it’s naturally dust mite resistant so great for my asthma.

nbt

Used both Baavet (pillows) and woolroom (mattress, duvet and free topper). Both great to deal with. ALl onlin for baavet, for woolroom we went into the shop and they mattress was delivered a few days later – we took the rest of the stuff away with us. The delivery guys even took the mattress up to the bedroom

benos

I’ve had wool duvets for years and love them. Better than down for temperature regulation, and infinitely better than synthetic. My wife gets too cold and I get too hot, yet it works pretty well for us both.

We have a Baavet currently (the middle of their three weights) and we use it most of the year round.

It really smelled of sheep for the first few months! But in a good way, if that’s not too disturbing a thing to say.

mildred

Got a New Zealand wool duvet & pillows off the back of a STW thread from Soak & Sleep.

The duvet is superb but the pillows are dreadful- all clumped up etc.

ElShalimo

Thanks

CountZero

I have to say I like the idea of those alpaca duvets, I’ve saved that link into my Notes app for future reference!

Thanks Zippy, much appreciated. 👍🏼😁

Caher

On the back of that thread I bought one. As others have said unless it’s really cold you’ll be boiled alive.

ElShalimo

@Caher – wool or alpaca?

Caher

Not sure, wool I think.

chevychase

Does not covering the wool duvet with a cotton or linen duvet cover compromise it a little?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Bit risky a wool duvet smelling of sheep.. for Yorkshire folk it could all get a bit confusing ..

LAT

i stayed in a house in christchurch in NZ. it had a marino quilt. it was light and warm.

BillMC

I can’t bear boil-in-the-bed polyester but a wool duvet has been spot on for summer and winter and no ewey odours.

z1ppy

@mrsparkle, I checked and it is indeed a fogarty

@elshalimo
    , does ‘let the dogs out’, make it less euphemistic? Really I just talking about getting out of bed.

Again just a bit warm in hot summer heat (really not rocket science) but fine all winter and no smell (not sure if that a serious concern, or just poking fun), and we’ve had it a couple of years now. I like the idea of the alpaca versions

ElShalimo

@z1ppy – that’s my dirty mind at work. I’ll go and sit on the naughty step

🙃

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.