• This topic has 44 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Winter gloves, what are you wearing?
  • carlos
    Free Member

Looking for some new winter gloves as my Gore C5’s are a couple of years old. They’ve been good gloves, just a little sweaty and the inner had pulled out once or twice.

So which Waterproof, windproof and warm gloves do you recommend without breaking the bank.

Cheers
    Carlos

Oblongbob

I’d take a look a Galibier stuff. I’ve got their warmest gloves, forget the name, and their great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Element 2.0. Comfy and warm in all weathers. Not strictly waterproof, but stay toasty in the rain.

eskay

I really struggle with gloves. I have big hands and 2XL are often too short so I find my finger tips get cold.

I have just bought some Spesh Element 2.o, I haven’t worn them in anything really cold yet but tomorrow’s commute may oblige.

I have had the Decathlon winter gloves previously but my kids lost the 2XL pair and their XL pairs leave me with cold fingers!

Edit: I bought the Element 2.0 on cyclestore.co.uk for £22.50

Kryton57

I have the Galibier Barriers v2 for really cold, but currently have and am using Galibier Ardenne which are the lighter conditions version.

Both are very good, extremely well made and £25/£21 respectively.

The Barrier is now on V3 which adds reflectivity and removes the hole in the wrist closure.

Id buy both again without doubt.

joebristol

100% brisker cold weather gloves won a recent mbuk test. I think though the gloves that came second (gore ones I believe) might have been warmer but didn’t win on value grounds as they were double the cost.

I’ve bought the 100% brisker gloves to try but haven’t had a chance to wear them yet. They seem well enough made and a nice fit – just hope they’re warm!

Simon

Briskers are excellent 3 season gloves but aren’t warm when it gets really cold and they’re not waterproof. I use some silk liner gloves with them to add some cold conditions warmth.

scotroutes

Pogies

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for Galibier gloves. Give up trying others these just work!!

jonnyrockymountain

These, expensive but 4 pairs for a layering system throughout spring/autumn/winter

Dissent 133 glove layering system

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi WXB and their Softshell version when it’s really really cold. The WXB gloves are that nice balance of warm enough without being too sweaty.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Specialized element 3 (lobster mitts) went on today for the commute a few degrees above zero. If it’s much colder then I’d swap to the sealskinz handlebar mitts which are slightly warmer

simondbarnes

Madison Stellar from a couple of years ago. Have been great on recent sub zero commutes. Toasty hands! I’m always misplacing gloves so am tempted to get a pair of the Madison DTE Gauntlet as well.

BillOddie

I have briskers, I’d happily wear them at around freezing.

I have the next size up too which i might try with a very thin fleece liner too, if it gets cold enough.

DezB
    Free Member

There are some silly cheap ones in the Polaris sale. Would’ve got some if I didn’t have an outstanding order with SportPursuit.

swanny853

Briskers are excellent 3 season gloves but aren’t warm when it gets really cold and they’re not waterproof.

I love them, but this is true. Coldish weather gloves but not foul weather gloves. They’ve just about done me for most of the winter so far but it’s been fairly mild in the SE.

For really hideous weather I’ve found the Gore-tex Thermo gloves to be fantastic. Warm, properly waterproof and not that horrific a bar feel for a ‘big’ pair of gloves. Proper test was a nasty day out at Afan in Feb a couple of years ago. Blowing a gale, lots of rain coming through, a mechanical just after the halfway point to get everyone nice and cold. The sort of day when the rain eventually gets through everything and some members of the party are begging bin liners from the halfway cafe for extra layers. My hands were the last part of me that was dry and I’m pretty sure it was water soaking in from my base layer that did for them in the end.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve got some Black Diamond winter climbing gloves, I think they are for mixed or dry tooling, basically a fairly rigid shell with no insulation to speak of (there may be a very thin lining). I think they are these – https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/mens-gloves/torque-BD801667_cfg.html#start=1

One big advantage is that because there’s no liner you don’t get that awkward situation where the liner in the fingers pulls out when you remove your hand and you have to spend about five minutes fiddling to get everything lined up so you can wear them again.

StirlingCrispin

North Face Pamir.

Windstopper microfleece so warm when wet. Been using them or earlier variations for years.

garage-dweller

I’m using Specialized Deflects (they’re 2-3 years old now) with some Rooster Sailing glove liners in them.

The Deflects on their own aren’t that warm but the thin liners make a world of difference.

Disclaimer. I’m in the south and most of my riding is 1.5 to 2.5 hour night rides over winter.

bigjim

interested in this too for way below zero scandi commuting, the galibier seem a good price

squealer
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of the 100% brisker for a while, they’re definitely 3 season gloves.

However, I’ve just recently got a set of the brisker hydromatic which are the water proof version and these are definitely 4 season gloves. Highly recommended.

nickc

Have some Sealskin Windproof lined ones. They’re very warm and surprisingly flexible and comfy. They’re not particularly waterproof though, and wet through quite easily. They do stay warm, but are a bit difficult to get on and off once wet.

strangey13
    Free Member

Another +1 for Briskers. Just got some Hydromatic one’s for wet days but not used them yet. Had to go up a size compared to normal non waterproof one’s too.

twosheds
    Free Member

A pair of black ones I got from Aldi two years ago.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ll second the Aldi ones and I’m surprised there’s only been one recommendation for them so far, beat me two it by a couple of minutes!

They cost a fiver and do everything you’ve asked for. Plus they’re well made and last, unlike any pair of Fox gloves I’ve ever bought. Had some Endura ones as well but the liner kept coming out. The Aldi ones blew them out of the water too.

Best winter gloves I’ve ever used.

joebristol

Worn my briskers now and very underwhelmed. I measured my hands etc and should have been in the middle of a medium size but actually they’re pretty tight. Can’t be bothered to send them back so thought I’d give them a go on my commute this morning. My left thumb and the middle finger on my other hand were absolutely freezing and went numb. My old BBB gloves these were meant to replace are probably still marginally better!

aggs
    Free Member

After many years buying and being disappointed with proper winter gloves I have finally found a set that suit me.
    Giro 100 gloves with lobster type fingers.
    Great for 5 degrees and down and freezing rain.
    More of a commute / roady glove but can wear on the mtb in Wintery conditions.
    Warm but does not get sweaty.
    Must breath well.
    Its the sweat that most gloves I have previously bought ruin the initial warmth which then leave the liner Soaked and your hands getting colder.
    I am now confident enough to just take one pair of gloves on long all day winters rides and audax.
    Not too bad if the weather warms a bit too.
    A bit pricy but great kit.
    For dry and cold the Endura themalite is amazing versatile too. My most worn glove for 3 season use and short dry winter rides. But no good once wet in cold windchill.

kilo

Just bought the wife some galibier gloves, very impressed with the pair I have and indeed all their kit so far

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

I’ve tried quite a few brands because it gets a bit chilly here at times. By a long way the best I have used both for keeping my hands warm and keeping some feel for the bars are the ALDI ones. I wasn’t expecting them to be any good at all but they work well down to at least -8C with a decent breeze for some extra wind-chill.

mick_r

Skytec Argon builder’s gloves were always the forum recommendation – slightly harder to get now Screwfix don’t stock them.

Not fully waterproof but it is only a small part of the back panel (rather than the usual leaking fingers).

Ours have somehow survived two winters and lots of washes. Eldest has now stolen them for big winter road miles.

ak121078
    Free Member

I have the Carnac ultimate windblock gloves from planet x, 13 quid… They keep my hands nice and warm but also make them sweat which means I have to dry them out before I go out again.

chaos

How bulky are the Galibiers? Long fingers but skinny hands means I need XL for the finger length but end up with loads of excess material around the palm from most gloves I try on.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Usually prefer to let the bike wear the gloves instead of me. Currently Cyglove pogies.

Why no handgloves? Because I dont get on with them unless thin and fingerless. IME (winter) full-finger gloves can ruin the controls aspect of biking. Even on the singlespeed I prefer pogies than gloves in order to feel/grip the brake properly among other benefits ie never get wet hands and never have to struggle to get gloves off. It only takes a little while of overheating before full finger winter gloves make me claustrophobic and then I have to stop and peel themm off/stow them. Total pain the arse.

Tried the Cygloves at Coed Y Brenin last week and they were just a lttle too warm on the climbs, but they do have some venting so not too bad. Still better than gloves. In the freezing cold it’s a total no-brainer. Can’t see Cygloves for sale anywhere these days, but they were a best buy IMO at £20-£30 some 6 years ago and they still work like new. Other pogies available

scc999

Malvern Rider. I don’t have the issues you describe when wearing gloves – but I still want to try Pogies as I get cold hands eventually no matter what gloves I wear.

*Edit* – Just googled and Hotpogs Classic Pogies are £25 ish. Anyone tried them?

scotroutes

Just googled and Hotpogs Classic Pogies are £25 ish. Anyone tried them?

That’s the ones I use.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

You guys must have really bad circulation or ride in the Arctic to find Briskers not warm enough. I’ve found them fine at well below 0.

JP

Kryton57

How bulky are the Galibiers

Not very, in comparison with everything else. The Ardennes are only a tad thicker than my summer gloves, they are as described though, my fingers got cold until I warmed up on todays 1 degree ride. I have no issues with the controls with them. The barriers are thicker, again no issues with the controls but I’d struggle to screw on s valve cap with them I think.

scc999

Thanks Scotroutes – I think I may as well take a punt. £25 for warm hands isn’t a bad deal!

mariner
    Free Member

dhb fleece gloves I got in a sale in Halfords. It really hasn’t been that cold here.
    If I was buying then the Showers Pass Crosspoint Hardshell WP Glove with liners.
    The glove I wish for would be something like a Tuff Bag GTX over mitt in either lobster or trigger design.

Caher

I used to commute home in -10 (no ice) when living on the continent and used the pair I got from Decathlon. Cheap but the best I used.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves, what are you wearing?’ is closed to new replies.