Home Forums Bike Forum Winter glove recommendations

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Winter glove recommendations
  • 40mpg

I’ve been converted to Pogies and its been a game changer for me. Used to suffer terribly getting sweaty hands which would then freeze. With Pogies I don’t need gloves at all from 3c to 10c (sometimes use summer gloves for ‘feel’) and just 100% briskers for 3c down to minus 5c (so far).

Having air around my hands stops the sweating, but no chill breeze makes a huge difference. Just a perfect microclimate around your fingers and upto your wrists (I think this helps too as keeps warmer further up your arm a bit).

Wouldn’t recommend for gnarly stuff as getting hands on/off bars isnt as instantaneous, but for xc and especially longer winter rides theyre amazing!

I got the Hotpogs Classic (UK made too) which are perfect for British winter conditions – although I’ll be using them fatbiking in the alps next week. And less than £30 delivered.

https://www.hotpog.co.uk/products/classic-pogies

mick_r

@Chaos – I’m pretty sure the Decathlon lobsters are 3 fingers together like a mitt with no inner liner. I’ll be home in a few hours and will check. You never see the XC ski stuff in UK shops but it comes quickly by mail order (my Mrs has some of the XC ski waterproof trousers and uses the poles for roller ski things). They certainly aren’t a faff to get on and off but have only had a week of use so don’t know how they end up after a number of washes.

mick_r

Yup can confirm the Decathlon “warm series” xc ski lobsters don’t have individual finger liners so they are very easy to get on and off. Also they easily have enough room to get all four fingers in the mitt to occasionally defrost your index finger (but they aren’t too bulky to bike in).

Don’t know what size they are, but we followed the Decathlon sizing / measuring advice and they fitted first time for both of us.

chaos

@mick_r

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know.

Northwind

FOG

The more I read these ‘what glove ?’ threads, I think that gloves are the same as helmets and saddles, a very personal thing . Some of the suggestions above just wouldn’t work for me yet they clearly keep some people warm. Like the helmet and saddle analogy you can’t really test them out. They might fit nicely in the shop but you can’t tell if they will work when the temperature drops.

However it still doesn’t explain how you see so many people out with no gloves at all on very cold days.

Absolutely (and no gloves is just the same only more so). People have different tolerances for cold, different amounts of body fat, different metabolisms and circulation levels, it’s just how it is. I’m a very skinny guy with a decent amount of fitness and bad hand circulation so I run <cold>, my recommendations would be too hot for most folks.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.