Home Forums Bike Forum Winter Chain Lube

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Winter Chain Lube
  • P20

Currently on Juice Lubes Viking Juice. Seems better lasting than Smoove. I’ve never read a bad thing about Peatys though, so very tempted to try that

airvent
    Free Member

Someone on here mentioned they bought out Wickens and Soderstrom which were pretty well received at the time.

I think you can get refill pouches were are slightly better value but it still works out spendy.

dansat
    Free Member

I have started just using dry lube all year round as it makes far less of a mess than wet lube

On wetish rides shifting is sometimes a little stiff by the end of the ride, but worth the trade off

Only on riding in the pouring rain would I use wet lube

montylikesbeer

Like others I have gone the hot wax route and am a total convert.

Post ride the drive chain is so clean and after six months still amazes me.

The faff I thought it was have proven not to be when you factor in the need to clean and re lube in the traditional “wet” manner set against initially deep cleaning then the first wax.

I honestly can see myself going back to wet lubes.

chakaping

Has anybody recommended Weldtite TF2 Performance?

It’s cheap, non-sticky and works really well. One of those “why pay more” products IMO.

Review: Weldtite TF2 Performance All-Weather Lubricant 100ml | road.cc

crossed

Like others I have gone the hot wax route and am a total convert.

I was but a very wet ride at the weekend made me reconsider.

The chain was cleaned and waxed properly but a 3.5h wet and muddy ride followed by a quick hose down of the bike and a blow off with an airline to dry has left what looks and feels like a totally dry and lube-free chain. There’s spots of rust showing on it already in the garage.

I’ve had a ratch in the garage and found that I’ve still got a load of Smoove lube in there so I’ll try that and see how I get on with it. The other bike I’ll stick with the hot wax as it seems to last really well in dryer conditions.

oceanskipper

has left what looks and feels like a totally dry and lube-free chain.

What wax are you using out of interest?

captaintomo
    Free Member

Two more to consider. Fenwick’s Professional chain lube and TruTension Tungsten All weather. Both I am very impressed with.

kimbers

+1 for tf2

bikesandboots

Effetto Flowerpower drip-on wax here, very clean but needs drying/waxing after every ride to prevent rust.

Previously Rock n Roll Extreme (new formula), also good. Turns my drivetrain dark grey so I scrubbed with degreaser from time to time.

Definitely avoid Wolf Tooth WT-1, sounds like a conspiracy theory but I think they designed this to increase drivetrain component sales. Horrible dirty black mess.

crossed

What wax are you using out of interest?

I was using GLF Wax. 

oceanskipper

TruTension Tungsten is one of a few that ZFC recommend for top ups between waxings. I have a bottle of it but not used it yet as I haven’t had any situation where putting on a spare chain and rewaxing isn’t an option. I suspect when I take the bike away for summer hols it will come into its own…👍

el_boufador

I do exactly what oceanskipper does. 2 chains, rotate them.

Have a fresh one ready to go when the one in use runs out of wax.

only difference is I run a homebrew wax mixture. I am also not a massive putoline fan due to the black gunk.

Once you’ve shelled out for the fryer (which shoul dbe under 20 quid) it is extremely cost effective

I tend to wax multiple bikes’ chains together while the deep fat fryer is on.

I spray on a bit of water displacement lube (e.g. GT85) after wet rides to keep surface rust at bay

I’m never going back to lube unless in emergencies or when away from home for long periods

oceanskipper

What wax are you using out of interest?I was using GLF Wax

@crossed Interesting. I tried GLF wax and found the same. It smells lovely but doesn’t seem to perform anywhere near as well as Molten Speed Wax. Neither as good as Putoline though for longevity in the wet. Putoline lasts months in the winter. MSW needs reapplying after a wet ride but lasts over 4hrs on a road bike. 

crossed

Interesting. 

I may need to try a different wax in that case.

davosaurusrex

I’ve tried Putoline, Squirt, Smoove, Peatys, Muc Off, Viking, Rock and Roll, Finish Line, etc etc, for me they all have their downsides, particularly the price these days but also some of them leaving rust after one wet ride. The Weldtite is cheap enough to reapply after every wash if required, doesn’t leave gunk or turn everything black. Just ordered 400ml for £13 off Amazon, might go for 5l for £40 next time. Cheers for the reminder @chakaping!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.