Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Winstanley Bikes – yay or nay?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

As title really. Are they still as terrible as they used to be?

Just looking to buy a part for £10 (£5 cheaper than anywhere else) and not sure if I should take the risk?

Ta, Duane.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve always found Winstanley’s to be spot on. Anything that hasn’t been in stock when I’ve ordered it has come quicker than it says on the site. They’ve always got back to me quick when I’ve asked questions too.
    For Chris King parts, is anybody cheaper in the UK?

hora
    Free Member

Great prices. They have a strict no name policy for Managers.

So if you have a problem unless you go in there (they are amiable in person) you are shouting against a wall.

For the above reason I wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole. Great prices need customer service skills hand in hand IMO.

honourablegeorge

Found them very good to deal with.

jonk

Brilliant if they are an LBS like mine

alfabus
    Free Member

bought a few wheelsets off them over the years… no complaints at all.

Dave

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What part is it?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

No problems using them at all.

Haze

Never been terrible ime

amplebrew

I bought my Kona singlespeed from them a while ago and they were faultless.

Their communication was good and the postage was really fast.

I think it’s best to call to check availabilty before ordering though.

ajantom

Have had good and terrible with them.

One order for £85 worth of bits, they took money out right away, only 2 out of 5 bits turned up along with an out-of-stock email for the others, 2 months of emails and phone calls later I had been refunded the wrong amount twice and was still owed £25. Finally resolved, but no apologies given.

On the other hand I’ve ordered stuff and it’s been delivered 2 days later no problems.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just bought a Hope wheel and they were quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere, and great to deal with – helpful too.

Previous contact was a bit iffy but this time was definitely better so we’ll see how they go in the future.

Superficial
    Free Member

Like everyone else – had good delivery but terrible customer service, I won’t use them again out of principle.

Northwind

Just be absolutely sure they have the item in stock, or you can often prepare yourself for a textbook piss-taking.

climbingkev
    Free Member

They are cheap, especially for hope hoops and hope parts. They took ages to come and sent me the wrong axle conversion kit 3 times!!!! So my nice, nearly complete (less a 12mm hub spacer) was stood for 3 anger inducing weeks in my lounge. Ended up going to my LBS and sent everything Winstanley back. Will never buy from them again.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Bought a bike off them that was a great price and arrived promptly, and enquired about buying another bike and received a very prompt and informative response from them, although I bought another bike in the end.

Would highly recommend them based on my experience.

Guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

hora
    Free Member

“Guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

Its not a case of pleasing though. Its a financial transaction that should be straight forward.

In their unit reception was a lad who had been waiting for 45mins over a scratched frame/bike that he had received. I know as I’d been waiting 30mins and he was infront of me and I’d asked him.

The place was quiet.

I hope they can keep up their cheap prices otherwise they might have to rely on customer service skills.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Useless, just another brain dead mail order bike shop

globalti
    Free Member

Mrs Gti does business with Mr Winstanley, he’s a tough but fair bloke.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Tried them twice and not been impressed:

Cheap fox shock but when it didn’t arrive after a week I called and was told it was out of stock and discontinued. Got a refund.

Cheapest Hope spare part I could find but when it arrived it was the wrong part. Sent it back and got a refund.

I wont be giving them a 3rd chance. If they are your lbs then fine otherwise if you must use them because the deal is too good to miss then speak to a real person to check they have the item in stock.

nwill1
    Free Member

Excellent in my experience, had a bike from there 3 years ago, a balance bike for my daughter just before Christmas (was best price on the web) and also got her helmet on a separate order. All delivered very quickly even a week before Christmas.

tony_m
    Free Member

I was after a pair of Schwalbe CX Comp tyres, but my usual online emporium (CRC) were out of stock, so I ordered them from Winstanleys instead. After they accepted the order, it turned out they only actually had one in stock, so they sent me that and put the second on back-order for me.

Two months and several “we’re still waiting for stock from our supplier” emails later, I cancelled the order and bought one from CRC, who by then had been showing them in stock again for a couple of weeks.

OK, possibly / probably not Winstanleys fault as such, but I’d suggest they need to find a different supplier, or chase them up a bit more vigorously!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

very good IME, both in terms of price and customer service.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Never had any problems, spent thousands with them, better than CRC et al. Recommended web shop if that’s your thing.

richwales

£10??? Seriously, do you have trouble wiping your arse each day?

hora
    Free Member

Two months and several “we’re still waiting for stock from our supplier” emails later, I cancelled the order and bought one from CRC, who by then had been showing them in stock again for a couple of weeks.

This is one aspect of some mail order companies that I don’t like- show a good price and stock, take the order but you don’t actually hold the stock. Its ordered on the next run from the Distributor.

Not too bad and you can show the order as ‘Processing’ or ‘2-5 days delivery’ however the Distributor may have sent out the product to someone else or run out themselves.

nwill1 – I see where you are coming from but I’m talking about repeat orders where you experience their service more (i.e. opportunity things can go wrong). When you have a order or product issue thats when you get to see a companies Customer service. Before that its just a financial transaction 🙂

crezzy

When they had the shop in pemberton they were realy helpfull and cheap but since they’ve moved to the industrial unit there customer has gone crap ,I wouldn’t even give them the steam of my p**s

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Winstanley Bikes – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.