Home Forums Chat Forum Wildcamping without sleeping bag?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wildcamping without sleeping bag?
  • fatmountain
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for advice – going to Minorca soon and minimum tempts are hovering at 20c throughout the week.

My sleeping bag is rated for 0 – it’s a decent one, so very lightweight and small but clearly overkill.

Would I get away with just taking a cotton liner and some thermals? I understand the body prefers to sleep around 18c.

Do you think I’d regret not taking one? I’d buy a cheapo summer bag but they’re twice the size as my down bag!

Cheers
    FM

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Down quilt? Can be used with a sleeping bag to increase it’s temperature rating or on it’s own in the summer.

tuboflard

I’d be taking something like this

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/thermolite-reactor-compact-plus-liner/

Warm enough for those sort of temps but useful to boost your bag back in the UK should you need.

fatmountain
    Free Member

tuboflard – good shout, I guess that and a fleece should be plenty for 20 degs.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve certainly slept very comfortably overnight in a liner in warm conditions (outside the UK). Don’t see a problem if you’re confident it won’t be significantly colder.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Lightweight and small…

So why not take it?

tjagain

Id take the sleeping bag. Even in recent temps in france one or two nights i have needed more than a liner

spooky_b329

I’d take something… It may be warm but if you are not in a tent, you could easily be cold at 4am especially if windy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d take something, I’ve done a few nights out without a bag and it’s not all that comfortable. 18C at home on a nice mattress (that’s also warm) and no breeze is a different proposition to an air mat on a hillside. Even a cheap £20 synthetic bag weighs little enough to be unoticeable and keeps the chill off.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Good to know.

@eyestwice
    , already a bit short of space due to baggage restrictions.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Spooky – good point, didn’t consider the wind for some reason.

I’ll take it! Thanks for the opinions!

scotroutes

Another option (and something you might use as a backup in the UK) is a SOL Escape bag.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Buy a cheap bag when you arrive?

Edukator
    Free Member

My bedroom is often around 20°C, if I try to have a siesta without a quilt I soon wake up cold. (fairly skinny human)

tjagain

Given i was cold in my tent and sleeping bag last night in the south of france i would say take the bag

MadBillMcMad

The perfect option would be something like the cumulus 150 quilt.

That is what I used this week in Lancashire at about 12 overnight. They are a great piece of kit.

If you don’t want to go shopping and your sleeping bag has a zip then just use it as a duvet. But definitely take something.

At the least a silk liner and thermals
    The body hates draughts.

lorax

Decathlon do a £35 sleeping bag that’s rated down to 15°C that weighs very little and packs down very small…

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-sleeping-bag-mt500-15-c-polyester/_/R-p-313095

dudeofdoom

TBH if you’ve got a nice packable quilted jacket to go with your thermals and cotton liner you’d be covered.

You can wear this or carry it on the plane so won’t be hitting the luggage allowance.

Then see how it pans out with your boots on the floor,they’ve got a decathlon there and it’s cheaper than U.K. so you could equip yourself accordingly.

dudeofdoom

I suppose it also depends on where your wild camping as its not legal in Spain but tolerated(ish).

If your having to stealth camp in the mountains could be a lot cooler than 20.

(Need local knowledge on how keen they are enforcing as you may be able to get away on some coves/beaches)

eyestwice
    Free Member

Have you considered a silk liner?

Weighs almost nothing. You could probably stuff it in your pocket

eyestwice
    Free Member

Also – what @dudeofdoom said.

Standard military practice is to sleep in your clothes. You have less weight to carry, although that’s not the actual point from a military perspective.

But it works. My Snugpak doss bag is rated for -5 but I regularly use it below that in Scotland. Because I’m also fully dressed.

It’s a win-win.

nedrapier

Cloud Cover

I’ve got one of these and I love it. Packs down really small and saves space as it stands in for more than one thing. You can use it in place of a sleeping bag, pop the poppers round your lower legs, have the bottom drawcord cinched tight, have the top cinched close round your neck and shoulders. Or have it all the way open, on enough to feel you’ve not just passed out in your pants in a hillside, but off as much as you need to stay cool. Or anywhere in between.

Last time I used mine – two poppers round my calves, open bottom for breezy toes and open top open over my like a normal quilt.

And you can use it as a wrap in place of a warm jacket or jumper for evenings sat in a sea breeze, or over your shorted knees in a chilly pub garden. Or bump up a sleeping bag rating by a season or two.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.