Home Forums Bike Forum Wider fitting flat pedal shoes?

• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by dlr.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wider fitting flat pedal shoes?
  • BillOddie

Due to a knee injury I’m going to swap to flats at age 42 having ridden clips for the last 25 years…what could possibly go wrong? (I have already stocked up on Steri-strips)

Thing is I, have feet that would make a hobbit proud.  Am I correct in thinking that Fiveten now come up on the small/narrow side?

If so, what tends to come up wider now?  Leatt? Ride Concepts?

They will be paired with something like a OneUp composite flat pedal.

Cheers in advance.

sharkattack

I’ve got a few pairs of Five Tens and a pair of Giro Jackets. The Giros are much wider and more comfortable. It’s like wearing a normal pair of trainers. They lack the outright grip of the stealth rubber but that’s not always a bad thing.

duncancallum

I use vaudes

My feet are almost square

fazzini

Specialized 2FO for me as my Shimano AM41s are only just about fit for commuting duties these days. Such a shame. Best MTB shoes ever. I have very wide fore-foot and narrow ankle.

BillOddie

Cheers all!

RustySpanner

+1 for the Giro Jackets.

They may have changed the fit (mine seem to be indestructible) but mine are a great for Hobbit feet.

One of my wiser purchases.

nedrapier

how’s the sizing on the Giros?

My 44 Ion’s are too tight, 44 Five Tens (pre addidas) are snug.

jamiemcf

Following
    I have some 5:10 impact pros, i reckon my wide feet have relaxed more (i’m running in Altras and i’m not sure of anything more square). From what i’ve gathered all of 5:10s pro shoes are narrower than the non pro versions.

I’m thinking of going the other way and going back to cleats, so interested on views on shoes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

@jamiemcf I’ve just done similar myself. Run in altras and wearing Xero or Lems the rest of the time.

Just bought some clipless shoes for the gravel bike.

MX241 wide from David at RXM Custom. Very helpful chap with a phenomenal amount of knowledge on the subject and even more shoes.

Can’t wear my 5:10 impact anymore and I’m dreading the day my VXi die.

dlr

Sadly 5:10 made theirs narrower years ago, I thought i was going mad, ended up with a set of verniers and email discussion with the company! 2FO, Vaude and many others I’ve tried but all too narrow for me, compounded by needing size 13 as well

Giro Riddance only ones which fitted me. Grip is terrible compared to 5:10 although at least not as wooden as the 2FO etc which felt solid walking round the house till I returned.

dlr

Sorry ignore the above, just got home and actually checked my shoes! The Giro were also too narrow for my hobbit feet, ended up with Mavic which just about fit but poor grip. Better than barefoot though…. https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/shoes/mountain-bike-shoes/mavic-deemax-elite-flat-pedal-shoes-review/

Most people with minimal hobbitness should be ok with some of the others mentioned

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wider fitting flat pedal shoes?’ is closed to new replies.