Home Forums Bike Forum Whyte integrated seat clamp not holding post

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whyte integrated seat clamp not holding post
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

It started off not holding at the correct torque setting, so inevitably I’ve been tightening it more, but I don’t know if that’s damaging the clamp itself. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can the clamp be removed and sorted out or is it a new job?

welshfarmer

Brother is having similar issues. Tightened to the correct torque,the reverb is stiff and notchy. To get it to work smoothly needs the clamp to be loosened off. But then the post invariably moves.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I had issues until I cleaned the post off (shop had used grease) and added some carbon assembly paste.

Seems ok now.

joemmo
    Free Member

Yes try some grip paste. I use it on seat clamp and stem for metal / metal and metal / carbon.

rocketman
    Free Member

Mine was moving after every ride. At the recommended torque the post was slipping but tightening it up stopped the dropper from working. Took the post out, cleaned it up and refitted it with some carbon paste.

Seems OK now although the clamp is pretty tight. A solution to a problem I never had.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A beer can shim sorted mine. No end of cleaning and different potions would hold it otherwise.

z1ppy

Carbon grip paste fixed the issue for me

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Thanks all. Seems like a bit of a flawed design concept. A good old fashioned seat clamp would have sufficed.

tomd
    Free Member

If it’s alloy on alloy hylomar blue will see it right. Grippy yet thrifty. Ideal for all sorts of bodges on the bike or home

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Update if anyone’s interested: I serviced the clamp today. It’s a simple design. You just remove the bolt and gently tap it out of the frame. The two end caps are plastic and the clamp is metal. I greased the cam-action sides of the clamp and refitted it. I put some carbon assembly paste on the face of the clamp and the post and it torqued up a lot tighter. I suspect it got dry and the cam action was binding before. Will see if it holds over the next few rides.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whyte integrated seat clamp not holding post’ is closed to new replies.