Home Forums Bike Forum Whyte 901 23 experiences?? Or transmitter??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whyte 901 23 experiences?? Or transmitter??
  • ashhh

Hi all.

Sorry for such a basic post but I could do with people’s experiences.

My c2w is due and I think it’s time to replace my old genesis high latitude. I was looking at a whyte 901 (currently 1k at leisure lakes). Seems a lot of bike for the cash but I can’t find a review of this incarnation of it anywhere.

Also considering a sonder transmitter if its in the alpkit Jan sale

My local woods isnt great but also ride centres and hope to do more natural stuff going forward. so i want something to make dull rides fun and be capable of a bit if everything.

Cheers

Ash

superstu
    Free Member

I had a 905 which shares the same frame as the 901. Thought it was one of the most fun hardtails I’ve had, very capable at all sorts of rides but with a focus on fun rather than flat all out speed (fast as you like in technical stuff but linking sections are always going to be quicker on a 29r / more sedate geometry).

I’ve also ridden the previous transmitter a lot, which has had subtle tweaks to it in recent years but mostly just increasing intended travel a little. Again I thought it was a really good all rounder and like the whyte best at messing around and charging around trails. They’re both objectively for me “fun” bikes which encourage you to stomp on the pedals and pop off of things. There are faster bikes out there but I’d happily own either. Think you’ll be happy with either one to be honest.

rollinghills
    Free Member

Fod1I’ve had one for about 6 months now and I cant say a bad word about it, although the colour did take a bit of getting use to!

ashhh

Cheers both, very much appreciate that 👍  brown is an interesting colour choice from whyte but as long as it rides well I’m not bothered!

dukeduvet

Not quite in line with your question but what about a Voodoo Bizango? 29er wheels but brilliant reviews. The Pro is just under a grand or £750 for the standard bike.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve had two Transmitters now, first generation one which I sold to a mate and the current version. Really nice, fun bike, the geometry’s good – I run mine with a 140mm fork – and the plus-sized tyres, 2.8″, give lots of grip and some extra cushioning, works well on rocky stuff, but still rolls fast. Just a really good, fun, all-round hardtail.
    I haven’t ridden the Whyte, so no idea how they compare.

ashhh

Cheers folks. I’m not that drawn to the voodoo for some reason and I can’t put my finger on it despite it making sense. The 901s are on sale for the same price too so I’ll avoid halfords if I can :)

colournoise

No experience of the Whyte but have had a mk1 Transmitter for a while now. Mostly my ‘winter bike’ but is possibly the best all round MTB I’ve owned (deffo TT the most versatile HT). Mine is basically a messing about in the woods build with 140mm forms and fat tyres, but it would equally make a decent downcountry/tough XC bike or enduro hardtail. Even surprisingly usable on the pump track.

ashhh

Cheers all. Had a bit of a mare with alpkit this morning so gone with the 901. Fair bit cheaper too so always a plus. Thanks again all :)

nallaj
    Free Member

Don’t think you will regret it.

I’ve had a 905 for about 2 months now and have loved evey ride i have done on it.

As previosley posted above they are more focused on fun rather than out and out flat speed.

My pal has a had the 901 for over a year and it’s been rock solid.

Would definatley recomend going tubless to get the most out of those 2.8 tyres.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.