Home Forums Bike Forum Why can’t I pedal standing up?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Why can’t I pedal standing up?
  • dirkpitt74

As the title really – struggling to pedal out of the saddle.

Just feels weird and not coordinated in anyway.

Problematic when I need to get a couple of pedal strokes in when my saddle is down as I must look like a uncoordinated outcast from Thunderbirds.

Any tips?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

So you can do it, it just feels weird?

Keep doing it till it doesn’t feel weird?

medoramas
    Free Member

You’re not doing it no-handed, are you?

kelron
    Free Member

Practice somewhere open? If you’re happy standing up on the pedals in the first place I can’t see it taking you long to figure out.

Try in a harder gear to start so you have more to push against, might help your balance.

ThePinkster

Try pedalling a bigger gear. I find it feels weird when the gearing is too easy to push round but make it a bit harder & standing to pedal feels quite natural.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Problematic when I need to get a couple of pedal strokes in when my saddle is down

Is it pedalling standing up or just pedalling standing up with your saddle down that is a problem?  When I first got a dropper it was weird not having the saddle as a reference point between my thighs (ooer) but it’s just something I got used to

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

Will try pushing a bigger gear – think that might be what my problem is.

Will also try with saddle up/down and see if it’s the non-presence of a saddle between my legs that’s the issue.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Practice on climbs might help

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I had this issue, it was the gearing that was wrong for me  had to have it in a few gears harder than I normally would for a seated climb.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

the second interval on the original Sufferfest Angels has you racing Alberto Contador, you’re 70-80rpm steady state seated with burst of 100rpm out of the saddle spinning, I found it impossible to start with but after a couple of weeks it was actually possible.

BadlyWiredDog

Borrow a snglespeed for a week or two, you’ll learn to climb out of saddle pretty quickly.

dovebiker

It takes practise plus you need to drop down a cog or two to compensate for the lower cadence / increased effort. The bonus is that you can generate more power per pedal stroke / uses different muscles so gives a chance for your other muscles to recover. Being able to switch smoothly between the two also helps with coping with changes in gradient without having to change gear.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above but also how is your core fitness? If all you do is ride a bike then your core may not be all that stable which may be the cause of your problems.

My gym does a 45 min spin class where the saddle is removed beforehand so you have to stand the whole lot – it is murder but great for standing practice (obvs.)

paton
    Free Member

Lucas
    Free Member

I think you are referring to getting up and putting in a few peddle strokes when the saddle is down during a descent or when contouring? If so I have this same problem, I broke my knee several years ago and I’ve not ever been able to do this since. Standing and climbing on the road or off road is fine (although I’d rather sit) but putting a few strokes in on a downhill I find that I need to sit to peddle. I presume my problem is that I have weak legs and just need to force myself to do it and get the strength and coordination back. I don’t think the rear suspension helps though.

dirkpitt74

Looks also like I need to work on body position and take the weight on my arms more.

sirromj

Looks also like I need to work on body position and take the weight on my arms more.

You just need to get used to the freedom of movement it gives you and how it allows shifting your weight around to get it where you need it to be. I’d guess.

duncancallum

My core isn’t strong enough plus as I ride a full sus it bobs to much

joshvegas
    Free Member

Borrow a snglespeed for a week or two, you’ll learn to climb out of saddle pretty quickly.

Also good for brushing up your walking skills i find!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

skills day

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Does this mean you are, or are not, the real Slim Shady? :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJO5HU_7_1w

Having recently bought a power meter, I’ve discovered that standing up while climbing inclines only shows power benefits once my cadence drops to ~70rpm, for instance at the end of yesterday’s ride…

https://www.strava.com/activities/1595555040/analysis/33105/33184

dirkpitt74

Went for a ride tonight and tried the different position with taking more weight on my arms – this made a huge difference.

Also dropped down a couple of gears too which helped further.

Thanks all!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Sorry, what, people stand up to pedal? Surely it’s your bodies way of telling you it’s  time to get off and push. That’s why it feels weird, you can’t fight nature!!

on a more helpful note, as well as the bigger gear advice, look at your suspension settings to reduce pedal bob as that can make getting a few powers strokes in on a decent feel really weird

slowoldman

Problematic when I need to get a couple of pedal strokes in when my saddle is down as I must look like a uncoordinated outcast from Thunderbirds.

You are Chris Froome and I claim my £5.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Why can’t I pedal standing up?’ is closed to new replies.