Home Forums Bike Forum Which pants this winter?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Which pants this winter?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Did some reading up and went for the Madison Zeniths in a sale (£62) which arrived last Sat. Bit underwhelmed – nicely made with reinforced waterproof arse but kneed dragged over my POC knee pads when I bet my legs and a bit loose around waist with velcro as tight as they’ll allow.
    Had nothing to compare them to so went to the local Leisure Lakes Sat PM and tried Fox Flexairs…much better fit as ratchet style waist fastening and no drag on pads – super light and DWR so repels mud and splashes though not pissdown proof. Not as robust as the Zeniths on the face of it. Bought them at £90 and wore them in the moist Peaks last Sun – very glad I went for them. The Zeniths are going back.

pothead
    Free Member

Happy with Fox Rangers so far but they’re not a waterproof option.

The Ranger is not waterproof and is around £70, the Ranger 3l water pant is definitely waterproof but is around double the price. I’ve used them all the way through last winter and despite having doubts about paying that much I would buy another pair without a second thought, I actually tried for a friend but couldn’t find any in a 34″ waist so he ended up with Endura mt500 instead

A true wet weather companion that offers top levels of performance. They’re comfortable and light enough for all-day epics, repel water and wet mud with ease and breathe surprisingly well.

The saddle contact patch does let some water in when the conditions are particularly disgusting, but the only way I’d expect the wet to stay out is if I was wearing a plastic bag.

To get the most from these pants you’ll want to use them when it’s disgustingly wet and cold – they’ll prove their worth instantly.

Taken from MBR Mag review last Nov

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How do the Fox size up- is the 32 accurate or does it cover a wider range?

pothead
    Free Member

I can squeeze into a pair of jeans with a 30″ waist ( just, I’m under 11st and usually wear a 32 with a belt) and the Fox pants are a 32 and pretty good fit so I’d have to say they’re a small fit and it’s a ratchet type buckle with no other way of adjusting the waist. The legs taper down to a pretty tight fit at the lower leg, good as they don’t flap around but I do have skinny legs so possibly worth sizing up although I’ve used trail pads (dainese trail skins) underneath without problems. They also did an insulated version called the Defend Fire pants, which would probably be too warm unless it’s close to freezing

stavaigan
    Free Member

Unless you are American or you are actually asking about underwear, you can 100% f##k off.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Tried my Decathlon pants that I got from Jordan in horrendous weather today and was really impressed!

36″ waist @ 6’2″ and the XL fit very well. Started on the second row of fastenings, but they were slipping down, so I went up to the next fasteners.

Plenty of room for my G-Form pads underneath and my legs aren’t skinny. I’ve ordered some of the winter versions to test too.

robertgray05
    Free Member

Another tall & skinny, long-legged person here. What trousers are longest in the leg?

I’ve just worn the Nukeproof ones today – I like the fabric, light and stretchy and the waist is good (size M) but it’s about 2″ shorter in the leg than I need. Draughty ankles all ride. I’m 32W34L, 75kg/6’2″. Didn’t wear pads but you could prob get some slim ones under there.

vmgscot

Another first ride test of the Decathlon AM’s over weekend in hideous weather in this corner of Scotland. Really impressed with fit on me – 6ft2 88Kg 37″ gut XL size – they stayed up, and legs never rode up (IXS pads underneath). Started to get damp bum around 2 hours in but they are not sold as waterproofs so happy. Have the winter ones (ST500?) arriving today for when it gets parky out.

chakaping

I got the Madison Zenith DWR ones, had first ride on Saturday on sodden trails and they were comfy and unobtrusive – and my bum stayed dry.

Thigh zip vents were very useful too.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Two rides in on my Decathlon AM and as everyone else has said, great for the money. Could do with a nice ratchet buckle, but other than that comfy, lightweight, stretchy and don’t feel unpleasent when they get wet.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still on the hunt for some decent properly waterproof trews – have reached the time where my Flexairs are fine when it’s damp out and now much ground water, but they are most definitely not waterproof in the heavy rain or sustained spray from all angles.

The Ranger 3L I tried I haven’t found them to be much cop, a bit better than the Flexairs but not by much.

I’m happy to spend the money needed, but just not sure what’s good – are the decent Endura’s going to fall apart on me? Other option is the mega bucks 7mesh, but availability is crap or the Patagonia ones. They will get a lot of use, so whilst expensive to outlay on if they last, I don’t mind – especially if i’m bone dry underneath.

davros

Endura Mt500 spray have arrived from Merlin. Perfect fit and feel well made. Hope they last as well as my mt500 shorts.

bsims
    Free Member

They need lots of sipes to grip the saddle when it’s covered in snow.

NewRetroTom

The best approach is to go with a kilt and just do away with pants completely.

“The Rain Kilt is a simple solution for lightweight ventilated weather protection. More specifically it is a silicon impregnated nylon skirt that keeps the bulk of moisture off of your lower body while providing ease of movement and great ventilation.”

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-shell-c51/waterproof-overtrousers-c337/ultralight-adventure-equipment-rain-kilt-p1269

joshvegas
    Free Member

Unless you are American or you are actually asking about underwear, you can 100% f##k off.

This seems a little extreme. Also is that swear filter avoidance?

darksideby182

That kilt is an expensive bin bag.

chakaping

Hob Nob – I’d consider giving the Madison Zenith a try. They are not fully waterproof, but have enough waterproof bits that I expect to get a lot of use out of them – and the rest is quick-drying (and breathable) softshell fabric anyway.

Perhaps a pair of military suprlus goretex keks for heavy rain rides? Though I tend to do waterproof shorts and jacket and leave my shins uncovered so I dopn’t overheat.

bear-uk
    Free Member

The decathlon ones are back in stock as just ordered some

hainman
    Free Member

My Royal racing Storm trousers have served me well in biblical wet conditions over the last year
    Not showing in stock yet but Royal racing said more stock should be coming in soon
    Proper full on waterproof

Wiggle and CRC were doing the Endura MTR trousers half price on Black Friday deal

lillski74
    Free Member

I’ll also shout out Fox Ranger 3l

Used a few times now in terrible weather and they have kept me dry

Nice tapered fit too so don’t flap around

Expensive but essential for winter riding

jimmy

I bought some mt500 spray trousers in small. They fit me round the waist (would be a 30″ but need 32″ for my butt) but are a good 3″ too long (jeans are normally 30″ leg). Worn once if anyone is interested I’d sell them on to get something shorter.

brads
    Free Member

Trousers. They are trousers that are being discussed here, not pants.

Get a grip people, I know we love Trump etc, but this is an Americanism too far.

Bagstard
    Free Member

One ride in on my Nukeproof Blacklines and really pleased, very comfortable, slim fit, but not too tight on my big legs, room for pads, but don’t flap around. Coped well with spray and mud seems to fall off of them. They size up quite big, Nukeproof size large is similar to Decathlon AM’s in XL.

bearGrease

Pay by paypal and you can claim return postage back opff paypal.

Any tips on how to do this?

Edit – https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns?activate=true&intl=0

Top tip!

lawman91

Total opposite end of the spectrum to Decathlon & Madison, but had a first ride in the 7Mesh Thunder Pant at the weekend and they are the dogs. Fit was great, totally waterproof, very breathable but had vents if I needed even more. Mega money and hard to get, but super impressed!

erictwinge
    Free Member

i have two pair of the nukeproofs and a pair of endura burners. the burners for when its cold, nukeproofs at all other times outside july & august. when its wet i wear a pair of cut down regatta waterproof trousers underneath just to keep my ass dry, works a treat… too warm in anything else.

jimmy

I see there’s an alternative thread for long trousers, are any suitable for shorter legs?

scotroutes

@jimmy – have you looked at the Roadrunners? The Short leg length is 29″.

jimmy

Thanks Colin, I’ll check them out.

Northwind

As usual, I’ll be wearing the brown pants, to hide the marks

jimmy

Just received the Keela Roadrunners (32″ Short). They fit well, don’t feel like out and out riding trousers compared to Endura, but they’re stretchy enough that they’ll stay in place and have a velcro cinch at the ankle so all very neat and non-too-baggy.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Are endura burner or singletrack pants waterproof?

stevemorg2

Keela Roadrunners or Scuffers – not waterproof but will keep splashes off and keep you warm when wet – great piece of kit

mcnultycop

Loving my Keela Roadrunners for this.

jimmy

Are endura burner or singletrack pants waterproof?

@andydunne12
    no. Even the MT500s I tried didn’t hold out that long in heavy rain.

iainc

+1 for the Keela roadrunners – also good for wet dog walks !

zippykona

Are those decathlon winter trousers sweaty?

chakaping

Got some lightly used Madison Zeniths in large that are just a bit too loose for me, if anyone’s after a pair of those for the slop then drop me a PM.

beer247
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Royal Storm Pants, they are a bit of weird fit though – quite tight in the crotch and on the backside!

I’m a 34″ waist and went with the size large.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Which pants this winter?’ is closed to new replies.