Home Forums Bike Forum Which pants this winter?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Which pants this winter?
  • craig24
    Free Member

Looking for suggestions, currently using a pair of Endura MT500 from last year but they could do with being cut a bit slimmer, quite baggy.

Whats your choice this year?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Boxer shorts, pants are so Alan Partridge.

brads
    Free Member

Next fitted boxers, but never with padded shorts.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Buy some trousers and go commando.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

endura burner are good, not as baggy as last season mt500 / singletrack etc.

just had the decathlon all mountain delivered, not as good quality but £45 delivered i’m happy, not too baggy or long like some endura

thols2

grahamt1980

CFH is that you?
    missing the crocs

marksnook
    Free Member

I haven’t got anything clever to say like the others!
    However the 50to01 pants are the best I’ve had, had a couple fox pairs and an endura pair. They are a great fit and really well cut

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’ve just got a pair of the nukeproof ones. They aren’t waterproof but do resist splashes etc and fit really well. Rode Penmachno last week which was totally flooded for one bit and whilst water did get through they were still comfortable and didn’t weigh too much, also helped a lot with getting changed at the end when all the mud was on the pants and not my legs.

tall_martin

I bought some fox defend fire trousers. Insulated with a dwr water repellent. The xl are a bit short for me, not a massive surprise as I’ve got a 36″ leg.

Ride 1 13 degrees- too hot
    Ride 2- pissing it down and 13 degrees. I was still mostly dry and warm after 2h hard peddling. Should have taken waterproof trousers instead

Ride 3-13 degrees and dry too hot, but not sweaty.

So far, looking good for the winter 🙂

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some of those Decathlon ones too – used them at the weekend and, for the money, I’m very impressed. Nice and light and a very comfy.

I’m pretty slim and they were a good fit on me (an extra inch or 2 on the leg length and they would have been perfect)

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Aware Endura do this option but I want waterproof bum and good cut elsewhere. Don’t usually suffer from the wet elsewhere unless it’s biblical, at which point a totally waterproof trouser will be the way forward.

Most seem to be aimed at fairer conditions..

craig24
    Free Member

Thanks! Them Decathlon ones look promising, might pop in and take a look.

iainc

anyone got a link to those decathlon ones ?

iainc

thanks

oldnick

thols2, that is a bold look there for the trails

pothead
    Free Member

Fox ranger 3l waterproofs, bought last year and while they aren’t exactly cheap (£135), they are probably the best bit of winter riding kit I’ve used. Everywhere I looked was out of stock when I tried to find a pair for a lad I ride with, also had insulated versions ( pretty sure they were the fire defend pants) which will probably be too warm unless it’s close to freezing

oikeith

Picked up some Fox Flexairs in the summer for winter, first ride it wasn’t really wet or cold enough to warrant them so got warm, must have been 12degrees-ish.

Went out last night in them for a night ride in them, much wetter and colder and they were good but bum got cold towards the end but that was it. Not the biggest fan of the fit, nice on the calves, too baggy/Mc Hammer on the thighs. When next paid will try the nukeproofs or 50to1’s. I was considering Royals but theyre never in stock!

beagle
    Free Member

Race Face Agent. Absolutely top drawer. Expensive but soooo worth it.

chrisyork

Can you get kneepads With room under the decathlon ones? That’d be my only concern, I’ve got royal waterproof ones and they’re rideable but a bit tight for my slim fox enduro kneepads

metalheart
    Free Member

Highwaisters for me.

So I can tuck me shirt in good and proper.

Well, winter is coming….

oikeith

So I can tuck me shirt in good and proper.

After getting cold muddy spray up my back I will now be rocking the tucked in look and not caring about how absurd it might look!

tenburner

Should be okay with low profile pads, probably very tight with anything bulky. The cut on the decathlon ones is definitely on the close side.

davros

Got some Madison 4 season ones arriving today from freewheel. 20% discount in Oct for stw subscribers so not too expensive.

vmgscot

Have Decathlon ones arriving so hopeful.

I bought Madison ones (DWR type with re-enforced arse/knees) after recommendation on here last year but the the fit is awful on me. Waist seems really low and gets dragged down and pretty short in the leg (6ft1).

FOG

Used the Decathlon ones in Scotland for the first time last week. They were very comfortable and water resistant but not as warm as I expected. According to the website they size up small but large (34″) were just right for me even though I think I am a 35″ waist and hover between large and XL according to brand. I didn’t wear pads but it looks as if there is room for everything except the real’ elephant’s knee’ style.
    Certainly worth the money and I shall have a look at the other Decathlon trousers which claim to be warmer.

footflaps

I shall have a look at the other Decathlon trousers which claim to be warmer.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/st500-winter-mtb-trousers-black/_/R-p-305555?mc=8530118&c=BLACK

johnw1984
    Free Member

Went to order some of those Decathlon ones, but they’re out of stock…

Got an email alert set up waiting now.

Jordan

@johnw1984 what size are you looking for? Got a pair in XL that I am just about to send back unless someone wants them for what I paid plus postage.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ohh @jordan

I’ll ping you a message now :)

vmgscot

Decathlon AM turned up yesterday and seem a much better fit than last years Madisons. Not baggy at all but accept my IXS Carve pads underneath. Much higher back which was main problem with madisons I had.

They seem a bit thinner than I expected so I have ordered the Winter ones as well today – that’s still two pairs for less than one pair of most other brands I have looked at.

Size wise – the Decathlon wizard advised me there was no size existing from their range for my stats!!! I’m 6ft2 87Kg so went with XL and they are just fine.

davros

First impressions of the Madison are they size a bit big. I’m a 31 waist and got a m and they’re quite loose and baggy without the Velcro straps at their limit. Need to try them over my padded shorts and swing a leg over the bike to see if they’ll do. Material is nice and they seem well made.

gkeeffe

Agreed Madison are big – usually a medium but they are too big..

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Size wise – the Decathlon wizard advised me there was no size existing from their range for my stats!!! I’m 6ft2 87Kg so went with XL and they are just fine.

The wizard told me – 6ft2 and about 75kg – that 32″ Mediums would fit. And apart from the slightly short leg they’re spot on. My lightweight knee pads fit too.

footflaps

Agreed Madison are big – usually a medium but they are too big..

Yep, sold some DTE Soft-shell shorts on Ebay as they were absolutely massive. Normally cycling kit is the other way round (certainly roadie stuff is all tiny).

simon_g

Happy with Fox Rangers so far but they’re not a waterproof option. Cut works well for me with chunky thighs. I know some taller riders find them too short though.

40mpg

Looks like the STW massif have bought up all the Decathlon stock – late to the party again!

wzzzz
    Free Member

I’m, usually 32 L or 32W 34L

Decathlon as ever come up the best part of an inch short on the leg.

Not a big deal on MTB pants as I wear sealskinz or other calf length socks to fill the gap.

But I can’t wear their other trousers normally.

The Decathlon AM pants have room for my skinny legs and trail pads, but perhaps touch and go for big DH hard pads if you have big legs, however they are pretty stretchy.

Pay by paypal and you can claim return postage back opff paypal.

Its a revelation just peeling the soiled pants to inside out off your legs leaving clean legs, mostly clean socks and knee pads, just chuck them in the machine. Especially after a cold night ride when you need to change before jumping into the clean car. I’m gonna buy another pair when they come back in.

davosaurusrex

Are there any decent semi waterproof options for tall riders out there then? 36″ inside leg here. Out later, just put the full guards on the bike but it’s still going to be filthy. Ebike so it will be hilarious, but filthy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Which pants this winter?’ is closed to new replies.