Home Forums Bike Forum Which Hunt wheels?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which Hunt wheels?
  • johnny

In a similar way to a lot of people here, I’m doing more road miles from the door, and I’m thinking getting some more road-specific disc wheels for my Sonder Camino.

I already have a set of Stan’s Grail wheels, with a 28/24 spoke count, so pretty light. I’m debating between the Hunt Aero light wheels (1488g) and the Hunt Aero 34 Wide. (1548g) My instincts would be for the latter, especially with 28mm tyres, and the weight difference is negligible, as I’m hardly a racing whippet, but would I end up with wheels too close to what I already have?

Any experiences/recommendations welcome!

trailwagger
    Free Member

I`d get the Hunt gravel wheelset and stick road slicks on. Then when things return to normal and you are back riding the gravel you will have a summer and winter gravel wheelset with appropriate tyres fitted.

roverpig

I just went with the 4 season disc wheel set for my gravel bike. Partly because they were in stock and the gravel ones weren’t and partly because they are a bit lighter and there is only 1mm difference in the width. I know marketing folk love to tell us that tiny differences will transform our ride by I have a hard time believing that I’ll be able to detect a 1mm difference in rim width.

I’m planning to use these for rides that are more road biased and will stick with my 650b wheel set for rides that are more off-road biased.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Controversial, but why not stick slicker tyres on the Grails?

joebristol

I’ve got the Mason X Hunt 4seasons road disc wheels. They were £100 cheaper than the Aero equivalent and apart from a small weight difference there didn’t seem to be much in it between the 2 wheel sets.

The hubs are 2 years in of commuting 2-3 days a week in all weathers and they’re still running well. I had a rim incident with a humungous pot hole that wrote the rim off and I had a few spoke snapping issues with that wheel after that. I rebuilt it with new spokes and it’s been all good since then.

Would be tempted to buy another set of these if I had the same wheel decision to make again (I was also considering Mavic Kysriums / Hope something or other as those were the other options the lbs could order in). When I damaged the rim I had a new crash replacement one from Hunt within a week – and spokes / nipples are standard j bend so replacements are easy to source.

Just to add, the Hunt hubs are pretty loud in the clickyness stakes. I like this as I have Hope Pro4’s on another bike and the DT Swiss ones on another bike aren’t quiet either. Saves having a bell 😝

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Aero Light Discs in summer 2018, definitely more spritely than the Fulcrum RacingSport 77 DBs that came with my Cube, but in hindsight I do wonder if I should have looked for something with a deeper rim. I love my hill climbing even though I can only manage ~4W/Kg on a cat4 climb on a good day, but weight only becomes significantly more important than aero drag above ~8% gradient and I have to ride on fairly flat ground for ~10 miles to reach these hills, where I’d normally expect to be doing >15mph and so aero drag becomes increasingly important above this sort of speed.

There’s some good looking deals on deeper Prime wheels at the mo for ~£400 (what I paid for my Hunts), but I was hesistant to put any in my short list in 2018 because there did seem to be very mixed reviews on them.

johnny

Thanks all- that last post echoes a lot of my thinking, I am in no way a quick climber, so I doubt the Aero Lights would give much advantage. Also they would be for local riding- Chilterns/Newbury Downs, so lots of steady climbs, with flats between.

Controversial, but why not stick slicker tyres on the Grails?

That’s what I’m doing at the moment, but I’d like to eliminate the faff of changing tyres, especially tubeless.

Also- I did look at the Prime wheels, and they look pretty good, but my frame is the V1, with QR dropouts. CRC don’t have rear adaptors, and Hunt have all options so seems a better bet…?

DrP

i’ve just got a set of prime 38mm deep carbons…£409 all in.
    They are a bit narrower at 16.5mm, but i’ll use them for 23/25 c tyres only, and save my kinesis crosslight wheelset(s) for gravel duties with 42c rubber on them…

I’ll give an update later in teh week, as they are arriving between 1246 and 1446 TODAY!!

DrP

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Compared to Hunt Aero Light Disc, https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-attaquer-disc-alloy-wheelset/rp-prod187141 look decent for £350 , tiny bit lighter, slighter deeper, more modern internal rim width (17 vs 19mm). Decent set of axle adapters included.

Just one set left at CRC, no idea if Wiggle site lists more.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a set of the Hunt Aero Light wheels to my Roubaix and I’m really impressed by them, the quality seems high and the service was fast. They came packaged with spare spokes, spoke key and some other stuff and they ride really nicely and fast and only slightly affected by side winds. Definitely better than the poxy DT Swiss wheels that came on the bike as standard. Yes the freehub is loud but it’s a useful warning for pedestrians as they can gauge your approach after you’ve called out “bike behind!”

These: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-disc-brake-wheels/products/aero-light-disc-road-wheelset-1449g-28deep-22wide

johnny

Agh! I think the choice for me is now between the Hunt Aero Light and the Prime attaquer wheels listed above- both look ideal and distinct enough from my current Grail wheels to stand out as more ‘road’.

Any experience with the build quality of the Prime wheels? I don’t tend to trust the reviews on CRC, they are all over the place.

andeh

I have nothing to contribute other than that I’m in exactly the same boat. Been looking at the prime and hunt wheels predominantly. I’m looking for a more all round wheelset, so mostly the 4 Seasons. Currently running the wtb i19 that came with the bike, which are a bit porky

branes
    Free Member

I’m in the slicker tyres camp. Aero wheels don’t save that many watts for the money.

That and have a look at your handlebars – get something that lets you get into a more aero position.

In order to encourage myself to be ‘less gnar’ I recently put some PX Jones copy bars (https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOGBV2/on-one-geoff-handlebar) on my XC MTB, side effect of which is I can get in a much more aero position on the road.

beer247
    Free Member

Hunt 4 Seasons disc, came on my Reilly Spectre, no problems with them at all in the last 12 months.

Can set-up tubeless tyres with minimal fuss and a standard track pump.

Currently running them with 35c Schwalbe G-One speeds and they feel as fast as running a 28/30c tyre on the road.

riklegge

Any experience with the build quality of the Prime wheels? I don’t tend to trust the reviews on CRC, they are all over the place.

I had some of the older Prime road pro disc wheels. They seemed fairly nice, we’re true and pretty sturdy (I did the odd cx race on them) and very light for the money.

I found the bearings were not particularly well sealed and felt a bit gritty after a winter of use, but bearings are easy enough to change.

johnny

Thought I’d update this thread, particularly if anyone else is thinking of a second set of road wheels for their gravel bike.

In the end I went for the Hunt Aero Lights. I missed the boat for the Prime Attaquer wheels, and they sold out before I could overcome my indecisiveness, and really I thought the Hunt ones had nicer logos…😆

They are everything I wanted: distinctly lighter than my Grail wheels, noticeably stiff and sprightly when climbing. I also decided against anything very aero, as I’m running wide flared drops, so it would seem and bit daft to worry about the rim profile… It’s probably 10 years since I bought a good quality set of Road wheels (Fulcrum Racing 1’s) but these are cheaper and easily as good.

New wheel day

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which Hunt wheels?’ is closed to new replies.