Home Forums Bike Forum Which gear ratio/setup help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Which gear ratio/setup help!
  • anniison
    Free Member

Currently running XT 11-36 10 speed cassette with 26-38 chainrings on 27.5 wheels. Finding I need something a little easier for climbing (yeah, I’m unfit!) so looking at the following combinations:

Change to a 24-38 front and keep the existing cassette (cheapest and easiest option) but wondering how much benefit I might feel with this over the existing setup? I’m not after that much difference TBH, but wondering if I’ll feel it?

Change to a 40t expansion cog on the rear, losing something in the middle, will need new chain as well so costs a little more. Think I’ll get more in the way if a crawler gear, but unsure how much this will affect shifting performance?

Change to a 10 speed 11-40 (such as a sun race) cassette, most expensive, but possibly preserves performance, unsure though as can’t seem to find much in the way of testing/reviews for this type of cassette?

Any experiences as to what might be best?

Ta :-)

tillydog
    Free Member

Bung all your possibilities into a calculator to compare them:

Like this (Hint: Click on one of the two boxes at the top to show the settings – slide the chainrings / sprockets along the line to change sizes)

There’s very little difference between a 24:36 and a 26:40

Onzadog
    Free Member
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Which gear ratio/setup help!’ is closed to new replies.